Rollin the dice! Cattle seem cheap right now??

Help Support CattleToday:

jasonleonard

Reaction score
So I have spent the last 2 evenings buying some extra turn out cattle.
Bought some groups of light 6 wt heifers (610 lb), weaned, vaccinated and in grazing condition( black hided) for $90 to $95 a cwt. I also got some really nice black 620 lb cuttin bulls for$105 a cwt. nice small headed bulls, cant wait to get my knife bloody tomorrow!
Don' t these cattle seem cheap to you all? I sure wouldn't want to sell mine at these prices.
Grass is coming on slow here this year and I'm thinking it is keeping feeders down in price here.

Calves dropped pretty hard here Friday (bulls 575 ave $120)
I don't pay attention to the heifers.

Jason, although they are lots cheaper we are still higher than your prices. I have been buying a few 3 wts to turn out for the summer. This week they weighed 387 and cost 1.53. I also bought 5 7 and 8 year old cow/calf pairs averaging $1220. Just a few weeks ago they would have brought 1500.

People are going to have to get corn in the ground soon or prices could drop even more. This frost last weekend in the mid-south along with some fields being under water in midwest is not helping anything. The economy maybe playing a small part too but me personally I think it is the worrying about the corn crop.

jasonleonard":267l5lv7 said:
So I have spent the last 2 evenings buying some extra turn out cattle.
Bought some groups of light 6 wt heifers (610 lb), weaned, vaccinated and in grazing condition( black hided) for $90 to $95 a cwt. I also got some really nice black 620 lb cuttin bulls for$105 a cwt. nice small headed bulls, cant wait to get my knife bloody tomorrow!
Don' t these cattle seem cheap to you all? I sure wouldn't want to sell mine at these prices.
Grass is coming on slow here this year and I'm thinking it is keeping feeders down in price here.

so they have black hides...but what do you end up with when you weed the woodpile?

1982 vett.. The cattle I bought over the weekend are real nice angus, with maybe a small percentage of simm in them. This is dairy country, so we have to really watch for stein crosses at the auctions.
I sell some through a county calf pool and there is a $10 a cwt deduction for reds,blonde, spotted, and any chars with a pink nose. I know from experience that some of those continental crosses really grow like weeds, I just hate those deductions. I guess it's one of those " If you cant beat em', join em' " type deals.

May have to take a drive to SW PA. What do you think cost would be per head for a 1200 round trip with a gasser? :lol:

sim.-ang.king":2emgjutu said:
May have to take a drive to SW PA. What do you think cost would be per head for a 1200 round trip with a gasser? :lol:

I just drove to Missouri to pick up my bull. 1800 miles round trip in my Tundra pulling a very heavy built 20ft stock trailer. BELIEVE ME when i say you do not want to know.

The 40mph head wind on the way home didn't help nor did the intermitant miss (probably due to a failing spark plug) pretty sure i am out over $700 for the trip just for gas and motels and FOOD!

Ah! who needs food, and a motel when there's money to be made! I'll just sleep in the goose neck upper deck, and eat saltine crackers. :lol:

sim.-ang.king":zngje4m4 said:
Ah! who needs food, and a motel when there's money to be made! I'll just sleep in the goose neck upper deck, and eat saltine crackers. :lol:

I would too if i was barely weaned like you junior. :lol2:

3waycross":2pos3694 said:
sim.-ang.king":2pos3694 said:

:lol2: :clap:

3waycross":1lwst3uk said:
sim.-ang.king":1lwst3uk said:

Who you calling junior?
fogleg2.gif

Latest posts