Rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

The best part about cowboy is that they are all friends... the cheer each other on and celebrate together.

My parents went to Rnd. 1 and Rnd. 2 the first night they carried a calf out on a stretcher after it had broke it's neck....

dun":183tc5lx said:
Didn't see it, but this brings to mind a question I've had that seems to crop up every year at NFR time.
When did calf roping start being called "Tie down roping"?

dun

Well, I thought the correct name was always tie down calf roping. I can remember hearing the term more than 40 years ago. Not a lot, mind you - just occasionally by someone to distinguish it from the say, less advanced events, of ribbon roping and breakaway roping (usually held only at the junior and 4H shows). Since all the calf roping at the "adult" rodeos was the tie down variety, people just shortened it to "calf roping" and everyone knew what was meant. If you wanted to talk about any thing else - ribbon roping, breakaway roping, goat roping, team roping or steer roping (jerking), well you had to get specific. But, what do I know? Talk about politically correct, anyone ever see a televised steer roping? They show the the guy making the catch and laying the trip, then they cut away to the horse and rider turning off. Next time you see the steer he's already been busted and is being sledded along the arena floor real nice and quiet for the roper to tie. Actually, I'm surprised they even showed that much, and it sure wasn't on a major network!

Steer Jerking isn't even legal in most states. That is one of the reasons it is held seperate from the NFR. It is.... shall we say a bit tough on the cattle. I don't believe I would want to supply the cattle for a steer roping. Too many of them would come back injured.
Did anyone watch the NFR last night. Blair Burk was flagged out for his horse dragging the calf too far after the run was over. He was leading both the NFR average and the world standing. He had a run that was around 8 seconds. That flag out might cost him a world title. That dragging rule was another one of those added to please the animal rights people.

Dave

I missed the rerun of the 4th run yesterday to watch for the rope cutting incident, and of course missed the Burk's horse doing his job a little to well last night. I give up, because I can't stay awake, as soon as the saddle bronc is done.

But something that caught my ear and eyes is the "fancy" wording they are coming up with. Aggregate! Now what happened to the down to earth word - Average. But now they have to say Aggregate.

cattle_gal":1z7b0oo1 said:
I missed the rerun of the 4th run yesterday to watch for the rope cutting incident, and of course missed the Burk's horse doing his job a little to well last night. I give up, because I can't stay awake, as soon as the saddle bronc is done.

But something that caught my ear and eyes is the "fancy" wording they are coming up with. Aggregate! Now what happened to the down to earth word - Average. But now they have to say Aggregate.

Traditions have no real significance anymore. Aggregate, , steer wrestling, the NASCAR chase, the Southern 500, Norht Wilkes Barre, it's all to try to get a wider audience and make more bucks.
I guess that's the American way, to make more money, but I hate losing traditions in the bargain.

dun

I love the National Finals Rodeo week! I've been going to bed at 8:00 so I can wake up at midnight and catch the latest!

Did y'all see Dusty Elliott ride the bull last night? I can't remember his name now, but I believe he was the first to ride him. It was great!

Speaking of rodeo.. what happened to BULL POKER? Now THAT was fun to watch!

TheBullLady":26195p0k said:
I love the National Finals Rodeo week! I've been going to bed at 8:00 so I can wake up at midnight and catch the latest!

Did y'all see Dusty Elliott ride the bull last night? I can't remember his name now, but I believe he was the first to ride him. It was great!

Speaking of rodeo.. what happened to BULL POKER? Now THAT was fun to watch!

Bull Poker became bull tea party and moved to Cowboy U.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(couldn't resist that)

We can't forget the new seen only when the NFR is on commercials. My favorite of them all is the Pace salsa where the guy spray paints the brand on the calf. And I'm sure you men like the Wrangler girls in the Cowboy Wisdom commericals. Even though I'm not a Dodge person the goofy guy in the old car chasing after the new pickups is funny. All his dodge commercials are funny.

cattle_gal":1xm96q09 said:
We can't forget the new seen only when the NFR is on commercials. My favorite of them all is the Pace salsa where the guy spray paints the brand on the calf. And I'm sure you men like the Wrangler girls in the Cowboy Wisdom commericals. Even though I'm not a Dodge person the goofy guy in the old car chasing after the new pickups is funny. All his dodge commercials are funny.
Dont like to admit it but the one about 'it takes a woman 20 seconds to turn a man into a fool' is true wisdom. Of course it doesn't apply to all of us. :roll:
Comes on an hour later tonight. You and Bull Lady need to beg, borrow, or steal a VCR if necessary to tape it if it is too late for you. I thnk they are having a really good rodeo.

"RyderDont like to admit it but the one about 'it takes a woman 20 seconds to turn a man into a fool' is true wisdom. Of course it doesn't apply to all of us. :roll:
Comes on an hour later tonight. You and Bull Lady need to beg, borrow, or steal a VCR if necessary to tape it if it is too late for you. I thnk they are having a really good rodeo.

Yah the 20 second to turn a man into a fool. Seen that plenty of times. If it's any consolation - we're flattered when you get all flustered. Just try not to hurt or kill yourself bad. Run off the road, cut yourself, walk into things. but I'm sure you've never done that. ;-)

An hour later tonight. I think I'll have to do what Bull Lady does - take a nap. But Cowboy U is on tonight also and so is Jag.

In the team roping there was a 30 sec penalty for cross-fire. Could someone define what that is. Thanks!

Rod

MR3":q6t77p45 said:
In the team roping there was a 30 sec penalty for cross-fire. Could someone define what that is. Thanks!

Rod

After you rope the steer the header has to have the steers direction changed before the heeler throws his loop. If not its called a crossfire..

cattle_gal":3ayulsal said:
Yah the 20 second to turn a man into a fool. Seen that plenty of times. If it's any consolation - we're flattered when you get all flustered. Just try not to hurt or kill yourself bad. Run off the road, cut yourself, walk into things. but I'm sure you've never done that. ;-)

An hour later tonight. I think I'll have to do what Bull Lady does - take a nap. But Cowboy U is on tonight also and so is Jag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must confess to having been struck by the 20 second malady. It was a looong time ago. We have been married ever since. As time passes, I cherish her all the more. I may have been a fool, but I wasn't completely stupid. ;-)

hello..new to this site but this deal caught my attention..there was a comment on how to make the bulls buck..well..the flank rope is tied around the bulls flank..this is not tied to their "beans" in any way, shape, or form..it also is not exactly to make them buck..most will buck without it..it is mainly to make them kick...and most have learned that when they buck off the rider it is over so they stop..but the younger or waspier ones will buck some when the rider is off...

as too the breeding, this is a whole new thread i could start!!!..the bucking bull industry is getting to be like the AQHA and others..animals are bred, dna'ed, and registered...we have futurities for 2 yr olds with electronic dummies on them for weight..we have derbies for the 3 and 4 yr olds with riders...bulls selling for 50-70 grand pretty common now..still big money but you see more of it..i have sold 3 week old calves for 3500...and that aint the top end...a lot of these bulls are bringing 10-20 thousand as futurity prospects..lot of money to be won during the yr at these deals..not to mention the big bucks the derby bulls are bringing..

it is becoming a new thing to do..own a bucking bull...i have sold them to stock brokers, financial planners, race horse people..it is attracting all types...from Thomas Taylor of taylor made golf clubs to berney taupin the song writer to joe blow the pipewelder...and you dont even have to keep them..there are trainers now that can keep them..all kinds of routes to go..lot of beef people starting to convert as the cattle bring more money..

the bucking bull industry has never been stronger and there is no end in site... :cboy:

Latest posts