Rodeo bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred I beleive the phrase your looking for is "Buckle Bunnie."

In my area some of the hardest bulls at the nearest arena are bulls that have a lot of Longhorn influence. Actually it wouldn't suprise me if they were purebreed/fullblooded. And you got to love the names some of the bulls get; my favorites are Dairy Cow (marked like a holstein), Burnt Toast, and Badittude.

Farm girl I've heard them referred to both ways. And those stock owners do come up with some pretty neat names.

I've only ever heard it said or said it that way.

I love when the bulls go crazy in the chute...it provides good entertainment. I've seen a couple flip over backwards when they were trying to jump in the chute ahead of them. The dumb chute boss and the rest of the people didn't decide to open the chute gate to let it stand back up for a couple minutes...they just left them in there flailing around like a cap-sided beatle...morons.

I use to think I wanted to be a rodeo bull rider til the lst time I sat down on a 300 lb. holstein steer. Talking about a wreck.

I Googled "Bodacious" the other night and he was a Charbray. I also heard several years back that he was an even natured bull that allowed people to approach him in the pasture. I followed a link (can't remember the name) and bucking bull semen is HIGH! They're sure proud of those bulls!

ALACOWMAN":3iqzoaqh said:
LimousinGirl":3iqzoaqh said:
Hey, neat subject guys! :) You gotta love bullriding! :nod: (except for the music, man how it busts your eardrums!)
well the girl's sure like the bull ride'in. the indoor pratice pen were i would practice calf ropin during the winter months had two bucking chute's and some fellers wanted to practice and buck out a couple bull's. well they brought the bulls a few riders and about 25 girl's :cowboy:

Oh no, did that come across to you that I rode bulls?! :shock: No, I'd never do that--I just like to watch...as long as my brother is not riding, I was so scared, He loved it, but me, my Mom and my sister refuse to let him ride anymore. :) I guess we've heard to many stories............................

J.T., here's a site with a lot of bulls with semen available. From $75 to $7,000 (Big Bucks) per straw. Bodacious a bargain at $800. I think I'm discovering the road to riches. Breed the milk cow to a bucker! With my luck the AI guy would drop the Big Buck straw in the crap.

http://www.strawboss.com/

novatech":gpi7qzob said:
Pure brahman is a problem in the chute as they like to sulk and go down. F1 brafords make good bucking stock, High bred attitude.

You are right about brimmers going down in the chute. Nothing more aggravating than to be "up" and then the bull go down on you. :mad:
Of course that was a good long time back for me.

WAguy":3i1jlnez said:
J.T., here's a site with a lot of bulls with semen available. From $75 to $7,000 (Big Bucks) per straw. Bodacious a bargain at $800. I think I'm discovering the road to riches. Breed the milk cow to a bucker! With my luck the AI guy would drop the Big Buck straw in the crap.

http://www.strawboss.com/
Yep, that's the site.

a man named plummer(spelling?) was the first to breed for buckers i think in the late forty's. when you go to a bucking bull sale they still refer to plummer breeding.for year they would buy bulls with a little fight that would happen threw the sale barns. i have done this myself its hit or miss but mostly miss. best one i ever had was jb 33 he was only rode 1 time his first season then sold him to the stock contractor that had leased him from me . he raised some from him but i got away from rodeo and lost track . dont know if his calves bucked or not. he was brangus,would get very hot and put you up the fence,my vet asked me not to ever bring him back. kepted him treed on the fence for about an hour!!!!!!

Probably a stupid question, but do they have to train the bulls, or is it a natural instinct? If they train them, how is it done? If it is a natural thing, wouldnt they stop bucking after being ridden, as they got used to it, kindof like crazy cattle settle down after you work them several times?

I've always been really curious about how a rodeo breeding operation is run.

It's a natural thing that some are better at. im sure they are some that quit after awhile. then their some that love it.but they keep bucking after the is rider off, because of the> flank strap< sorta like a burr under the saddle. in our ropin stock some would quit running when they felt the rope, some duck :p black angus heifer's made the best ropin calve's heifers are tougher and lasted longer, brahman calve's were a treat.... for both sides

what we did with are buckers,we had 4h bullriders that wanted to practice so we would let them ride but not for 8 sec. maybe 4 sec to start then more but we always wanted them to get off while the bull was still bucking in other words let the bull win.this seemed to work good a couple of bulls we started went to the pro's i think one went to the nfr . its was hard to keep track of them back then every time they sold there name would change. some might sell 3 or 4 times in one season.

CKC1586":20xvf6kp said:
Wouldn't be a job for the weak, huh? Your facilities sure would need to be built TOUGH.
CKC1586-

What kind of "facilities" are you talking about - PERSONAL or buildings and corrals?

DOC HARRIS

Man I'm gone for a day and I miss all the good conversations!!! This is what my fiance and I are getting into...not just bucking bulls but we want to be able to supply entire rodeos with everything but horses(bulls, steers, calves, sheep, goats, etc). We'll be working off two properties, one in New York and the other in Kansas so we can cover both parts of the country. I can't wait :) I love bullriding...but I'll tell you it is the SCARIEST thing I have ever done!!!!

Latest posts