Rodeo Bull??

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi ya'll! We have a 15 month old Longhorn Bull with about 28" of horn from recent measurement. He is very active and plays active bull games with his 10 month old buddy bull. The 15 mo old one can really cavort around, jump, buck, and all the normal bull things. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to whether this bull might be acceptable for rent to one of our area rodeos? From what I've observed if he had a cinch on him in an arena he might put on a good show! I realize that bull riders get the highest points for the wildest (and proven) bull in the arena. Other than that, I know essentially nothing about what the rodeos are looking for, etc. Thanks!

P.S. This bull currently weighs about 1,000 lbs. and is about 50" tall at hip.

The rodeo contract industry that supplies most bulls for PBR and other rodeo events is quite large. Some of the bull riders invest in bulls, too.

Not too long ago I saw a small piece of video on how they try out calves. They actually have a mechanical little box they strap on the calf and then turn the calf out into the arena to see how it bucks.

Most of the rodeo bull suplliers rely heavily on genetics, although new bulls are tried out all the time.

Contact a rodeo arena near you and ask for a referral to a stock contractor or two. Then see if you can pick their brains for more info on how the industry works.

If you have cable TV, watch some of the PBR events on the Outdoor Life channel on Saturdays and Sundays. There are other bull riding programs on around that time that you can watch to learn more about how things work.

> P.S. This bull currently weighs
> about 1,000 lbs. and is about
> 50" tall at hip.

> We too had a brahma cross bull we think and thought would be a great bucking bull. His father was used for local rodeos. We contacted a stock contractor, and he used our bull as one of many in a lyle Sankey bull riding school to see how he did. He didnt do as well as he would like. Well work with him this summer on bucking (putting my son on him) So, we will keep him another year , see what potential he has at that time.Like the previous poster, PBR bulls are bred alot of times, and unless youve got a really good bull, and good connections, it is hard to get them into PBR. But, ya never know what ya got till you try them out.

The rodeo contract industry that
> supplies most bulls for PBR and
> other rodeo events is quite large.
> Some of the bull riders invest in
> bulls, too.

> Not too long ago I saw a small
> piece of video on how they try out
> calves. They actually have a
> mechanical little box they strap
> on the calf and then turn the calf
> out into the arena to see how it
> bucks.

> Most of the rodeo bull suplliers
> rely heavily on genetics, although
> new bulls are tried out all the
> time.

> Contact a rodeo arena near you and
> ask for a referral to a stock
> contractor or two. Then see if you
> can pick their brains for more
> info on how the industry works.

> If you have cable TV, watch some
> of the PBR events on the Outdoor
> Life channel on Saturdays and
> Sundays. There are other bull
> riding programs on around that
> time that you can watch to learn
> more about how things work.

HumpsandHorns magazine is the place for all the info you might need. It tells about furtuitys and derbys for bucking bulls. We raise,buy and sell bucking bulls. And a individual can get involved in the local end of it. It's a lot of fun.

[email protected]

>As a rodeo stock contractor the rule of tumb is dont buck them to to early.We buck our 2 year old in the junior bull ridings and our 3 year olds and older in the open bull ridings.The tip of the horns would have to be cut off to the size of a quarter or bigger as well.have a 15 month old
> Longhorn Bull with about 28"
> of horn from recent measurement.
> He is very active and plays active
> bull games with his 10 month old
> buddy bull. The 15 mo old one can
> really cavort around, jump, buck,
> and all the normal bull things.
> Does anyone have any suggestions
> or recommendations as to whether
> this bull might be acceptable for
> rent to one of our area rodeos?
> From what I've observed if he had