Roden Angus Dispersal

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know what's going on.... I just noticed that they weren't involved with Double Creek Farms production sale like they have been in the past.

This was rumored back in early January. When I asked Kirk he didnt really want to comment about it. Kind of like it was an emotional thing for him. As many know they relied heavily on carcass genetics to take them to the top. It is my understanding that many of their top cattle came up to be carriers of the AM gene. My belief is that they felt enough is enough. From what I heard Kirk may be moving on to a larger operation after the dispersal. This is a great family that has been inspirational to many in the Angus breed Juniors as well as adults. They have always given, shared and inspired others to accomplish greater things than they thought they could.
Randy may be absent from the national angus scene but the impact of the Roden family will still be visible wherever they are. My assumption is that Randy will still run commercial cattle. May even rebuild a smaller herd in the coming years. But I'd guess nowhere on the scale of what they've been doing.

Sad to hear that, Randy helped me get my start in Registered Angus, after I bought a few cows from him through his sales he was always there for whatever I needed, he bought all the certificates for calves I had out of any cows I got from him, was always there if I needed anything, Let me come out and tour his place, Look at all their herd bulls. He went out of his way for me, which meant alot since I was just a college student, and what I spent on his cattle probably didnt hold a candle to what other people had spent. I had been to alot of sales where all the big guys just kind of acted like I wasnt there looking at their cattle as a buyer, didnt take me serious and Pretty much just ignored me. But Randy was there whenever for whatever, He is a stand up guy and I do hope that he will stay involved in the Angus Association in some way.

I don't recall a previous dispersal, but they did have a large herd reduction sale after they started using ET very heavily. I hope they find a way to get back into the cattle business very soon. The Roden's are great people and have been a big asset to the cattle business.

I have spoken with Randy and Kirk several times regarding their upcoming dispersal as the entire Roden family is a close friend of ours. They have never revealed any reason for the dispersal other than a combination of external factors beyond anyone's control and Randy's desire to slow down a little - I think he read my favorite essay by Robert Hastings, The Station. This is a quality family that sells quality cattle; they will be missed immensely. This is an unsolicited testimonial to a great friend. If you would like to show support for Randy and his family, I urge everyone to show up for his sale.

Sam and Bunny Anderson

Frankie":25hm5zuh said:
Hasn't Randy Roden dispersed before?
No, at one time there was an alliance made up of David Waldrip, Randy Roden and The Hallman family. They owned quite a few cattle together. When Waldrip dispersed, Hallman went out also but Randy still maintained a herd of his own. He has had one herd reduction sale since he Kirk and Daniel started together. At least thats the best I remember.

Avalon":zywo3hdd said:
This was rumored back in early January. When I asked Kirk he didnt really want to comment about it. Kind of like it was an emotional thing for him. As many know they relied heavily on carcass genetics to take them to the top. It is my understanding that many of their top cattle came up to be carriers of the AM gene. My belief is that they felt enough is enough. From what I heard Kirk may be moving on to a larger operation after the dispersal. This is a great family that has been inspirational to many in the Angus breed Juniors as well as adults. They have always given, shared and inspired others to accomplish greater things than they thought they could.
Randy may be absent from the national angus scene but the impact of the Roden family will still be visible wherever they are. My assumption is that Randy will still run commercial cattle. May even rebuild a smaller herd in the coming years. But I'd guess nowhere on the scale of what they've been doing.

I was wondering how much of an impact AM had on this decision. I know one of their main herd sires Rito 3X27 of 2536 EXP ended up being a carrier (I bought a son as a clean-up bull). I have serveral Roden Angus in my herd and Randy and Kirk have always been great to deal with - I consider them friends. Randy was just elected for another term as director in the Texas Angus Assoc. so I hope he stays around.

come on guys there could be any number of reasons for them to sell out.1 could be they want to make money off their rep.2 could be a change in the direction they are going.3 could be they want to retire.4 they may even be changing breeds of cattle.

bigbull338":3iaq7vaz said:
come on guys there could be any number of reasons for them to sell out.1 could be they want to make money off their rep.
Dont we all

2 could be a change in the direction they are going.
Very Possible due to Curly calf or trends moving toward easier doing animals

3 could be they want to retire.
Maybe for Randy but the boys are only in there 30's and love the Angus business.

4 they may even be changing breeds of cattle.
I would be highly surprised if they changed breeds.

bigbull338":huz9tyxg said:
come on guys there could be any number of reasons for them to sell out.1 could be they want to make money off their rep.2 could be a change in the direction they are going.3 could be they want to retire.4 they may even be changing breeds of cattle.

You're right: lots of reasons. Rodens have always bought, raised and sold quality animals. We've never bought anything from him, but he has a good reputation in the Angus business. Whatever the reason for this dispersal, I wish them well.

Seems like I have seen several angus dispersal sales for this year. More than usuasl? I know last year the herefords had there share.

Jeff

Latest posts