Rocky Boots

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Aaron said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Quit being such a cheapskate and buy a decent pair of boots.

Does such a thing exist? Between salt, manure, urine, oil and water it is surprising that any leather boot lasts as long as it does. Now I do have a pair of Georgia Boots that only gets worn to town, but that really isn't a test of a leather boot.

I wear rubber boots if I'm going to be in the conditions you describe.

Not much of an option for me. My feet sweat terribly and even worse in rubbers, which causes rubbing and sores. I still have my Mucks, but only wear them if the water/mud is going to be higher than my leather boots (about 8").

greybeard said:
Understood...just posted it as a thought regarding that company's quality.
Best overall work boots I ever wore were late 60s-early 70s US Govt issue jungle boots. The trick is finding the correct size.they tend to come 1 size wider than a normal boot. 1st pair I had was a little loose..2nd pair fit like a 2nd skin and I put 'em thru be nice..

I think Rocky makes the military boots today

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
Anyone have an opinion on Rocky boots?

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/rocky-cody-waterproof-pull-on-western-boot/RKW0235.html

I am on my second pair of Irish Setter boots and they just don't last long enough to suit me. The second pair was given to me as a replacement for a pair that lasted less than a year, and now these are going.

Quit being such a cheapskate and buy a decent pair of boots.
They were $150 or better.

Two things you might not relate to, I am poor, and I work in cold mud.

I can relate. I have been wearing Justin boots for several years, now have pair of Ariat. If it's real wet and muddy I wear Muck boots but honestly they don't holdup much better than some of the off brands. I can relate to the aforementioned statement in that I'm currently tying a plastic grocery bag over my socks before I put on my muck boots to keep my feet dry from leaky boots.

greybeard said:
Most plastic grocery bags nowadays are intentionally designed/made to leak, so people won't be 'repurposing' them.

Yes, I've noticed quite a few with holes in them to start with, and I have to replace them almost ever time I put my boots on.

I don't understand people that complain about Muck boots not being any good. I have a pair that's at least 5 years old that I wear every day for at least 6 months a year for a couple hours a day or more. I love them. I think there comfortable.

I have worn the lace up roper style from Rocky pretty extensively as a work boot and I like them a lot. More than 12 months out of a pair is a pipe dream for me and I have tried those $400 pairs. Hard to find a boot worth wearing less than $100 but don't see much improvement over $200 either. Right now I am in a pair of Carolinas that have done very well and very comfortable.

pricefarm said:
I don't understand people that complain about Muck boots not being any good. I have a pair that's at least 5 years old that I wear every day for at least 6 months a year for a couple hours a day or more. I love them. I think there comfortable.

I actually like the muck boots, they are probably as good made as any and are the most comfortable that I have found of that type boot. That being said I wish I could get a pair to last 5 years. I might have had some last almost 2 years which translates to about a years worth of everyday wear about roughly 6 months out of the year. Most times about 6 months is the extent of them for me. It's inevitable that they will get a wire through them or cut on on sharp rock or something.

I like Irish Setters.
DSC02478.jpg

The founder of Mucks sold out years ago with a non-compete that has expired and now has his own line called Dryshods. I bought a pair last year and so far they have held up well and are very comfortable but I don't use them like you guys and gals in the Northern climes. Heck its been so dry this fall that I have only worn them twice.

https://dryshodusa.com/

Only issue I've ever had with Mucks are tearing up the fabric/neoprene when forcing my way through heavy briars. But that happens with any of the neoprene top boots, and it still takes a while for them to actually get a hole. I can get a couple years out of a pair, and that's with some really hard use. But they've reached the price point that I won't buy any more unless on sale.

I did recently discover Tidewe boots as a cheaper alternative. The main difference between the cheaper boots and more expensive boots seems to be the soles. I've bought a few pairs of < $100 rubber boots and the soles are thin with no support at all, and almost zero traction. I bought a pair of Tidewes for my 11 year old and they seem to be made as well as any pair of Mucks I've owned. And under $100.

https://www.tidewe.com/

Look into the Caterpillar line of boots, they pretty much cover any type of boot even muck boots, have been using them for year's, usually get them at Farm & Fleet, think Tractor Supply has them also.

Latest posts