Robot milkers

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Was reading the news and came across this article.
Now they have more time they should concentrate on production.
23 litres a day someone would be going down the road, the cows or the brothers.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada

Cows at the farm line up by themselves and enter the automated stall pictured here.

Dairy farmer John Georgison says the technology has given him more free time.

Automated milking equipment locates a cow's udder.

Robots, lasers used to milk cows at Manitoba farm
Updated Sat. Nov. 17 2007 10:53 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Some call it the Holstein Hilton: a dairy farm in Manitoba where cows freely line up to be milked and fed by robots.

It's one of the first voluntary milking systems in the province.

"The funniest is when the old-timers come in here," said John Georgison, who runs the farm with his brother. "They can't believe it when they see the cows actually walk in and milk themselves."

Cows at the farm line up by themselves and enter an automated stall one by one. A laser identifies each cow by a tag on the animal's neck, telling the machine where to place the automated milking equipment.

The robotic system then sets to work, with no need of a stool to rest on.

"It washes the cow's teats, milks the cow then feeds her as well," said Georgison. "That's what really brings her into the robot, is the treat that she gets."

There are more than 170 cows at the farm, located near Stony Mountain, and they produce 4,000 litres of milk each day. Most line up at the machine soon after their morning meal for an extra snack.

"This is what we call rush hour," Georgison told CTV News. "Shortly after breakfast, the cattle have all eaten and now they all want to get milked."

It used to take the Georgison brothers up to 12 hours each day to milk the cows, but the automated system has freed up much of their time.

"We are not tied to that six to six milking schedule," said Georgison. "We have more of a life."

The technology is quickly catching on. Dozens of farmers have bought the technology in Ontario and Quebec over the past two years, although the price is upwards of $200,000.

It also seems to be good for the animals, who line up at the machine at their leisure.

"This is as nice as it gets for cows," said Georgison.

With a report by CTV's Jill Macyshon in Winnipeg

There was a program on TV a couple of months ago that showed the whole process. Each quarter is milked as a seperate unit. The milk from each quarter is weighed and "tested" (their term, didn;t specify what it's tested for) before it goes into the bulk tank. Each teat is located via a laser with a recognition type of system so that teat location isn;t real critical. Cows are IDed by a RFID device and th approriate amount of grain for each cows production is dispensed.
It was really fascinating.

I wish I would have seen that program.So they must test for mastitis etc.I wonder how many times a day the computer lets the cows be milked.I can see a few feed ho's going back every hour thinking they are going to get a treat again.
$200000 is that per robot?
How many robots would you need for a herd that size.

I heard there are a few dairy herds in Alberta that have the system but haven't had the chance to visit them.

I wish we would have had that when we dairied I hated milking.
Not at that price tag though, that could have bought 150 litres of quota.

All I can say, is maybe they should get the electric prod up their butts and learn to milk a bit faster.

No seriously, the milking robots can be useful. A lot of it is a lifestyle choices thing. It frees up a lot of time for the producer, and lets him go off on holidays etc. No milking on Christmas day! :lol:

Also, it can be a big money saver if you calve once a year, and the majority of your cows are in peak lactation at the same time, you dont need to pay extra milkers.

The people promoting them have really been pushing the animal welfare bit of it too. In terms of lower mastitis and more frequent milking. But all the trials have indicated that, with voluntary milking, the cows came to the parlour 1.6 times a day. So I think they are barking up the wrong tree there.

Oh and yes, the milk is tested for SCC before it reaches the tank.

There is a bloke here that has his robot set up smack bang in the middle of his property. He has a laneway system, and he can set up the robot so that after the cows are milked the robot will only let them out a certain gate. So from his house, he can set the robot to let them in, milk them, then let them out into another paddock. He can rotationally graze them without mustering. He also has it set up to automatically draft off any cows with elevated SCC, or those which are cycling (not sure how it picks that up but it somehow does), and sends a message back to the house that he has to come out and attend to them.

Its pretty interesting stuff really.

As for me, I quite enjoy being in a parlour, as long as its not Christmas day :)

robot milking is good.if all the bugs are worked out of it.but 3 teated an big bag cows are hard to milk in that system.all the milk is tested from each teat.an the suspect milk is discraded.an the milking system red flags that cow tobe checked.youd still have to make sure all cows have been to the milking stall twice a day.

yes they are supposed to get printouts.but i dont trust printouts.a person still needs tobe to make sure all cows get milked 2x a day.because anything can go wrong an mess things up.

well ive been in the dairy business 27yrs.stayed with it till i got sick of low milk prices an high cow prices.so im used to trying to make sure things run smoothly in the barn.an if you dont watch over things you could end up with alot of ruined cows.an right now top fresh heifers are selling for $2500.

There's a local dairy that is putting in robots. I've heard that they're milking about 100, give or take, and expect the robot to milk about half. I'd be interested to know how they work in mega herds.

I can see the pros and cons, but evidently the normal parlor system still outweighs the robots. Another dairy is in the process of expanding to 3000 and putting in a rotary, a real novelty for this neck of the woods.

Latest posts