RobLuer

Help Support CattleToday:

RobLuer

Reaction score
I'm an ex-pat from Texas living in Guanajuato, Mexico. I do consultancy work for dairy farms and cattle ranches. I want to introduce alternative feedstock and regenerative farming in this state.

Thanks, Ken. It will be an uphill battle, but with a new generation taking over operations of the dairy operations, I think it will be successful over time. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

I'm an ex-pat from Texas living in Guanajuato, Mexico. I do consultancy work for dairy farms and cattle ranches. I want to introduce alternative feedstock and regenerative farming in this state.
How long have you been doing that work? What kind of challenges are there south of the border?

RobLuer> Guanajuato? I assume you have been on site long enough to know the lay of the land. How big is the territory you work in or
is it state wide and require a modicum of travel? Are you a free standing agent or work in conjunction with an established organization?
Are the activities of the NG a concern or do they leave agricultural enterprises alone for the most part? I only know what the swallows tell
me when they come north in May! They are starting the 2nd hatch so they will be heading south in around 30 days or so.
Other than wishing you well with your day to day labors I shall back away for now as I am sure there are good and knowledgeable folks
on here who would also appreciate your viewpoints on cattle. Lee VanRoss

The challenges are plentiful. The most glaring ones are a lack of viable information and organizational skills. Everyone pretty much does whatever they want. The municipality I work in is the largest in the state. It was founded in 1562 as a lay-over site on the Silver Road to Mexico City. It covers 1146 square miles and has over 400 farm and ranch communities. It is primarily semi-arid dryland with some irrigation available. I am associated with the local farm and ranch association which has a vision of introducing new viable feed for cattle and dairy cows. It all starts with the soil!

Welcome, I have been involved in regen and later the holistic management since the 70's in Rhodesia, then in several other countries since the farm invasions. My interest has always been in adapted genetics which has been mostly Sanga based breeds due to these being the most adapted breeds where I started and having neighbours such as Johann Zietsman as early influences, and Allan Savory developing his early grazing systems, Do you have any contact with Jaime Elizondo in Mexico? as he is also working on regenerative management and Sanga (mostly Mashona) genetics.

The are several organizations here pushing regenerative ag, and even more pushing soil health. Major obstacles are due to specialization into a corn/soybean only system or into confinement dairy. The initial successful lead users are usually organic grazing diaries (who move cattle twice per day), or direct beef marketing operations (who move cattle at least once per day). The big consultation money and the biggest impact are in the larger grain only operations, but they struggle with herbicide carryover and locating grazing livestock.

Latest posts