Robin Williams RIP

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie":38txk4oy said:
He had been battling depression and had entered a 12 step program for drug abuse. He was a brilliant actor and never ceased to amaze me with his quick wit.
In a way I am not surprised. He always seemed to be wired and I don't think that the public ever saw him just being himself. He was always a character.
I am so sad that he did not see a reason to keep on living.
I agree Chippie. Depression can render a person unable to have hope. They can't understand what effects their actions will have on people close to them.
But if they can just hang on it will get better or they can get some help. At least that is what I heard a shrink saying on TV.
He was too young to die.

That's too bad, IMHO next best to George Carlin... I really liked his view on golfing too. He, like Carlin, had an incredible energy on stage that I liked. Anyone seen "Man of the year"?

Depression is a terrible thing. For those who have never had to deal with it, or know anybody who battles it daily, you can never know the difficulty they have with it.

Sad indeed.

I have found that many brialliant people, and some top comedians, live with/do battle with anger and depression on a regular basis and that is part of what makes them good at what they do.

My kids were young when Aladdin came out so I must have watched that 50 times, he sure did an awesome job as Genie.

I try not to like Jim Carrey, but he does make me laugh. Dumb & Dumber is a classic and the Pet Detective movies are pretty good too.

I thought he was a really good actor. too bad he was tormented / depresses so much to kill himself.

Limomike":2zaha17l said:
I thought he was a really good actor. too bad he was tormented / depresses so much to kill himself.

The brain is a powerful organ; when it malfunctions it can become a horror show. I wonder about the manner of death. I read above that he hung himself. I wondered about that. There are 50 better ways to do it! Do you think he wanted to suffer as some sort of self-punishment for the torment he lived and then carry that over into the act of death????

I fear depression more than cancer. It is a dark ugly beast. Like a parasite that lives inside your head. I can fully understand wanting to end it.

inyati13":i7a7jlz8 said:
Limomike":i7a7jlz8 said:

The brain is a powerful organ; when it malfunctions it can become a horror show. I wonder about the manner of death. I read above that he hung himself. I wondered about that. There are 50 better ways to do it! Do you think he wanted to suffer as some sort of self-punishment for the torment he lived and then carry that over into the act of death????

I fear depression more than cancer. It is a dark ugly beast. Like a parasite that lives inside your head. I can fully understand wanting to end it.

Have read a very long book about depression AND cancer. Don't truly understand either. But the book said with afflictions lose the will to live. It also discussed bullies and their roles on depressed people. I don't understand that either.

A friend of mine was over this morning and mentioned that he was depressed about his recurring bouts of alcoholism. I know about alcoholism first hand, I imagine that mixed with depression has to be a horrible combination to live with.

Was hospitalized in 1989, diagnosed wit h clinical depression and have been taking my Prozac ever since (can you tell?? ) :lol: :lol: There is a big difference in feeling depressed and having clinical depression. Worst part is that the person with the depression often is not truly aware of it but everyone around him/her notices the symptoms.

Here are a few:
Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
Fatigue and decreased energy
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
Irritability, restlessness
Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
Overeating or appetite loss
Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

Never felt suicidal in my life and truly don't understand those that are. To me that is the ultimate cop-out.

3waycross":2ucirfng said:
jedstivers":2ucirfng said:
The higher the IQ the more chance of depression I believe.

wel that explains it. No wonder I feel so bad........... ;-)
I was figuring that's why I don;t get depressed.

greybeard":26de5gv3 said:
Don McCallum":26de5gv3 said:
I am not a comedy watcher, but we did name our daughter Mindy. I really did like Good Will Hunting, and I didn't like Good Morning Vietnam,
because war is not funny.
No war is not, but AFVN (the Vietnam version of AFRTS) was at times, and it was a welcome change. I listened to it at night and sometimes, if it was a "milk run" the pilots would tune it in and we would listen to it thru the headsets in our flight helmets and we did as well when we were doing flare drops at near our max ceiling.
Adrian Cronauer was a real disc jokey at AFVN in 66 (before my time there) but all the morning DJs after Cronauer's tour ended carried on the same opening line and format.
Here's the real guy:
[youtube]xRjYX0j-kpA[/youtube]
Talking about the differences in the movie and the real deal:
[youtube]V8FkXRgA4Sg[/youtube]

Thanks for sharing these, awesome history.

TexasBred":1ho95ky8 said:
Never felt suicidal in my life and truly don't understand those that are. To me that is the ultimate cop-out.

I agree. I guess all of RW's pain and depression is gone now as is all the respect I've ever had for him. I wish the media wouldn't glorify him. I feel for his family.

jedstivers":3fkzmt8l said:
Hear what you are getting at, have always believed that rather than a high IQ it is more the amount an individual has mentaly evolved. Something that blows that theory though is that low serotonin levels are believed to be the cause of many cases of depression which will affect any level of IQ or mental evolution. :???:

I try never to presume to know the depth of internal battles being waged in the minds of others.

alisonb":2n4yltn1 said:
jedstivers":2n4yltn1 said:
Hear what you are getting at, have always believed that rather than a high IQ it is more the amount an individual has mentaly evolved. Something that blows that theory though is that low serotonin levels are believed to be the cause of many cases of depression which will affect any level of IQ or mental evolution. :???:

I try never to presume to know the depth of internal battles being waged in the minds of others.[/quote]

Words to live by :tiphat:

Ned Jr.":14uslg4t said:
TexasBred":14uslg4t said:

I agree. I guess all of RW's pain and depression is gone now as is all the respect I've ever had for him. I wish the media wouldn't glorify him. I feel for his family.
. Went through a bout of depression in the late 90s... I've seen his side of it and it ain't pretty...

Today his wife said he had early stage parkinsons but wasn;t ready to make it public yet.

jedstivers":2ou00yr6 said:

I do believe this is true, to a degree. I have noticed that some folks who seem to be so carefree and happy all the time are also below average intelligence. The saying "Ignorance is Bliss" applies. On the flip side, it appears to me that folks who experience bouts of sadness and/or chronic depression are above average intelligence. I think there is link here we can't ignore.
When I went through a divorce 19 years ago I experience a great emptiness I can't explain. I'll never forget my mother telling me that was a good thing, a good sign. She said a persons capacity for happiness was equally proportional to their capacity for despair. I reckon what she was trying to say is that I had bottomed out, but that present condition was because I had similar, and equal, "top out"
Sounds like by polar to me, but after that time in my life I pay much more attention to those around me. Seems like folks that care the most are also the ones that can be hurt the most.

Latest posts