Roast from an older cow.

Help Support CattleToday:

As I understand it, all things being equal the quality and tenderness has a lot to do with how fast the weight was put on.
For instance you have 6 or 7 year old cow in normal grass condition. Her steaks while having flavor will certainly
contain little marbling and would best be cut finer and flashed grilled. As to roasts I would think stews would probably be received best.
However; take the same cow and work her into a finishing high percentage grain ration for 90 days or so and she should marble
quite adequately and yield steaks and roasts that would please even the most discerning palate.
And no, I do not watch cooking shows!

As I understand it, all things being equal the quality and tenderness has a lot to do with how fast the weight was put on.
For instance you have 6 or 7 year old cow in normal grass condition. Her steaks while having flavor will certainly
contain little marbling and would best be cut finer and flashed grilled. As to roasts I would think stews would probably be received best.
However; take the same cow and work her into a finishing high percentage grain ration for 90 days or so and she should marble
quite adequately and yield steaks and roasts that would please even the most discerning palate.
And no, I do not watch cooking shows!
This cow was in real good condition to start with and I put her up and fed her out just like I do our beef steers. I originally just wanted her done up in ground beef, but the processor thought we should get steaks and roasts too. We decided on roasts and just filets form the steaks. The filets were good but a little chewier than from a younger animal.

10-4 Do you feel you had her on feed long enough to obtain the marbling required to make the optimum grade?
Try stripping some steaks and flash grilling. I promise to be morose if I am wrong,,,,,,,,good luck!

10-4 Do you feel you had her on feed long enough to obtain the marbling required to make the optimum grade?
Try stripping some steaks and flash grilling. I promise to be morose if I am wrong,,,,,,,,good luck!
Might have been better to fed her a little longer, but results were a lot better than I had thought the might be. The filets we got, are good if not grilled to long, I prefer no more than medium rare, wife wants well done. At that point no steak is good. We once had a heifer that didn't claim her calf processed after only a month in feed it definitely needed more time on feed.

Got it on later yesterday, so wasn't ready for supper last night, We worked cattle today and looking forward to trying it out tonight. This is from when I turned the crockpot off late last night.View attachment 19342
I would be all over that. I love roast. I could eat one every weekend, but the kids get tired of it after awhile.

I would be all over that. I love roast. I could eat one every weekend, but the kids get tired of it after awhile.
We love roasts too. Funny story about eating one every weekend. I've always lived here on the farm, and before I married I lived in the same home with my mother. She would generally cook meals that would make for leftovers which is great. A lot of times she would cook a beef roast, store bought at the at time, and we would eat in it for maybe 3 days, which I was fine with me. We went to church on Sunday and then went to help out for at a mission church on Sunday afternoon, so she got to where she was having roast about every weekend and eating on it half the week.
My wife, who I was dating at the time, was going to cook a meal for me when I came to see her. She said I didn't sound overly excited when she said beef roast.
It was good, and we had a laugh after I told her that story.
When we married, my wife wanted us to finish out our own beef, so we have been doing that and really enjoying the meat, the roasts are so good, but we don't have them every week 😂

Last edited:
Roast.
One of my favorite cuts i
We love roasts too. Funny story about eating one every weekend. I've always lived here on the farm, and before I married I lived in the same home with my mother. She would generally cook meals that would make for leftovers which is great. A lot of times she would cook a beef roast, store bought at the at time, and we would eat in it for maybe 3 days, which I was fine with me. We went to church on Sunday and then went to help out for at a mission church on Sunday afternoon, so she got to where she was having roast about every weekend and eating on it half the week.
My wife, who I was dating at the time, was going to cook a meal for me when I came to see her. She said I didn't sound overly excited when she said beef roast.
It was good, and we had a laugh after I told her that story.
When we married, my wife wanted us to finish out our own beef, do we have been doing that and really enjoying the meat, the roasts are so good, but we don't have them every week 😂
Roast makes good sandwiches.
I love roast and short ribs.

Does your processor score the roast like that or did you do it?
They put a net like around the roast when they package them is what makes that indentation. We didn't know why it's done that way, and wife always takes it off. I read where it's to keep the rounded shape and prevent it from flattening during cooking.

Latest posts