Roadside vegetation management

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
The road side vegetation management team came to visit this afternoon. It is nice of them to trim along the driveway but we don't need them in the yard. The wife just mowed the lawn and they would probably eat her flowers. So down the road towards home they went with a little convincing from a guy on a quad, The home defense team is on the alert for any other invasions by wayward livestock. Got to love open range.

Attachments

• P7102595.JPG
    P7102595.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
  • P7102597.JPG
    P7102597.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P7102598.JPG
    P7102598.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Used to have that here. Now, since open range ended, the county and state have to spend $$$$$$$$$ on mowing equipment and tractors and employees to operate them where they never had to before.
Just one of the many ways local govts find to get bigger.

We saw alot of wild horse on our trip out west this year. First time we got to see them close. Pretty neat to still see free ranch or open range whatever it's called. Seems the government is always wanting bigger instead of budgeting and finding ways to better the earth and world. More concrete more buildings less trees less farm land. Just my opinion. 🤷🏽‍♀️

We saw alot of wild horse on our trip out west this year. First time we got to see them close. Pretty neat to still see free ranch or open range whatever it's called. Seems the government is always wanting bigger instead of budgeting and finding ways to better the earth and world. More concrete more buildings less trees less farm land. Just my opinion. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Those in the picture are not wild horses. They belong to my neighbor. They are the wife's old barrel racing mare who became a brood mare. Their one and only pack mule. A 4 year old cow horse gelding. A 3 year old mare who has just been started. And a long yearling gelding. That neighbor has 12-15 horses. He is horseback 4 or 5 days a week this time of year moving cows. You go through a lot of horses doing that.

Those in the picture are not wild horses. They belong to my neighbor. They are the wife's old barrel racing mare who became a brood mare. Their one and only pack mule. A 4 year old cow horse gelding. A 3 year old mare who has just been started. And a long yearling gelding. That neighbor has 12-15 horses. He is horseback 4 or 5 days a week this time of year moving cows. You go through a lot of horses doing that.
Living the dream right there!

Does he want free help, I am worth every penny! LOL

Living the dream right there!

Does he want free help, I am worth every penny! LOL
Sorry but not too thrilled about free help. Spend too much time and money teaching them or at least getting them to stay out of the way. It is not what people think or dream that it is. But thanks for the offer.

Haha, figured as much and I know where he is coming from. Those that do it everyday like to say it's not all it's cracked up to be. I have done enough of it to know it beats a real job by a long, long ways. Wouldnt be my first time in the bushes after cattle horseback. Might get old after 30 years or so but I would love to know how long it took me to get tired of it. I don't get to do much of it horseback, just not enough country here, but I do handle a lot of stock for other people. Doesn't pay as good as some of what I do but I enjoy it the most by far.

Haha, figured as much and I know where he is coming from. Those that do it everyday like to say it's not all it's cracked up to be. I have done enough of it to know it beats a real job by a long, long ways. Wouldnt be my first time in the bushes after cattle horseback. Might get old after 30 years or so but I would love to know how long it took me to get tired of it. I don't get to do much of it horseback, just not enough country here, but I do handle a lot of stock for other people. Doesn't pay as good as some of what I do but I enjoy it the most by far.
In the neighbors case he is the family cowboy. It is a long time family operation. One very active 92 yo grandmother but she doesn't ride anymore. Two aunts in their 60's who no longer ride. Dad is in his 60's will ride when needed but generally brandings and bigger gathers. Two cousins and sister all moved away. So he is it for the younger generation. The good side of things is he doesn't spend much time sitting in a tractor seat making hay this time of year.
Have you seen the pictures I have posted? A lot of this country ain't very nice. Places where very experienced people riding horses that were raised in the hills get off and walk. It is steep. There is a reason I see Bighorn sheep out my kitchen window. It is dog killing, horse crippling country.
I have been here 3 years. Every year there is someone with broken bones. First year I was here a hired man's horse rolled off a hill. As the horse rolled over him the saddle horn broke his jaw. Last summer a neighbor up checking water got flipped down a hill. Broke 7 ribs. Already this spring a man got bucked off at a branding. Broke his back. As old Wilfred Brimley said, "everyone wants to be a cowboy until it is time to do cowboy ****."

Heck the pictures is why I want to ride there! I know what your saying and I don't argue it isn't for everybody. That wild country on horseback is for me what bronc riding and felling timber was to you. I have been in it a little bit and dont tell my wife but they are some of the happiest times in my life. I love riding a horse thru wild country. I spend all of December crawling thru the mountains chasing bears and dogs. Ours arent as tall as what you have but can be rugged and much denser vegetation. I ride a horse up there any chance I get. Wouldn't even begin to tell you or anybody that I am as good as the guys that grew up there and do it everyday but I would love to be. I know what Wilford was saying but doing cowboy s$&# just makes me want to do more cowboy s#&$ !

Heck the pictures is why I want to ride there! I know what your saying and I don't argue it isn't for everybody. That wild country on horseback is for me what bronc riding and felling timber was to you. I have been in it a little bit and dont tell my wife but they are some of the happiest times in my life. I love riding a horse thru wild country. I spend all of December crawling thru the mountains chasing bears and dogs. Ours arent as tall as what you have but can be rugged and much denser vegetation. I ride a horse up there any chance I get. Wouldn't even begin to tell you or anybody that I am as good as the guys that grew up there and do it everyday but I would love to be. I know what Wilford was saying but doing cowboy s$&# just makes me want to do more cowboy s#&$ !
I have about 60 acres on the other side of the road. It is not connected to the rest of the place. It is all steep rocky ground. Not any use to me. There is a spring so there is a little water. In the spring the neighbor runs 5 or 6 yearlings and 2 year olds over there for a couple months. They learn to get around on that nasty ground before they do it with someone on there back. Here they don't use horses raised on flat pastures or even rolling hills. They want horses from the nasty country. They also use dogs that will range out a long ways to gather cows.

Latest posts