Roadrunner (aka Chapparal)

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Here is photo of our resident Roadrunner hen. We also have 2 pair of roadrunners.

View attachment 1

This other photo is of the hens nest. Two babies hatched, two more eggs to go.

The hen made her nest on top of our rabbit cages which was about 5 feet high. Notice the "lumber" she used for the nest. Did have some soft stuff inside nest though.

Don't see many around here although I have seen some.

Found this today while checking out the peas.

They tend to like to nest in this field.

Jogeephus":3mwb93ia said:
Thanks for the pic. What do they eat, do and stuff like that? Good bird?
They are horrible birds!!! Haven't you every seen what The Roadrunner did to Wiley Coyote? :p :)

FarmGirl10":2nz9o1on said:
Jogeephus":2nz9o1on said:
They are horrible birds!!! Haven't you every seen what The Roadrunner did to Wiley Coyote? :p :)

I just always figured Wiley wasn't so wiley.

Jogeephus":2g7mfkhy said:

They eat about anything. Have heard they will eat small grass snakes and lizzards. For our barn cats, I put out a little dry dog food in their pan. Our birds, including roadrunners will eat some of the left-overs. Think the roadrunners also eat bugs and things.

They RUN! LOL! They have been known to chase one or more of our barn cats. They are interesting to watch. They do fly, but only in an emergency...and keep low to ground...haven't seen fly over about 10 feet high, and for short distances. Our resident ones that appear each year are getting really tame. Have gotten as close as 10 to 15 feet from one before it walks/runs off.

FarmGirl10":3u3jkge7 said:
Jogeephus":3u3jkge7 said:

I think if they torment coyotes that would be a good thing. :D

How do you know about the Roadrunner cartoons Farmgirl? I thought they were deemed to "violent" to show on tv 25 years or so already.

1982vett":2cf57ruq said:
FarmGirl10":2cf57ruq said:
Jogeephus":2cf57ruq said:

I think if they torment coyotes that would be a good thing. :D

How do you know about the Roadrunner cartoons Farmgirl? I thought they were deemed to "violent" to show on tv 25 years or so already.
My grandma had what i swear had to be just about a thousand tapes of old cartoons. They sure beat the crap they have on tv now.

BTW, did the roadrunner say "beep beep" or "meep meep?"

1982vett":1vtwb8xl said:
FarmGirl10":1vtwb8xl said:
1982vett":1vtwb8xl said:
"beep beep"

Never heard a horn go "meep meep".
:lol: I know, but I swear he said meep meep a few times.

Forgive me Chrisy----- :oops:

:secret: Must have been one of those British imports.
:lol: Apparently she hasn't ventured in here yet.

If she had she'd probably say something cool like "crikey". Exactly wth is crikey? I like the way it sounds but have no clue what it means. :?: :dunce:

Latest posts