Road bumps

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
This last year, when they redid the roads around here, they added those middle lane tire bumps and shoulder bumps.. I'm not sure what you call them, but they warn you went you drift out of your lane.
So, early in the mornings when i'm out sitting and listening for problems in my herds, I can hear these things. We're 5 miles in every direction from these highways, yet, I can hear them. I can only imagine how loud they are if you live near them...
I cant hear them once the sun is up and daylight noises drown them out....but, I find it crazy that at any point I can hear them so far away....
I do think they'll save lives since most people are on their phones on these long boring highways and not paying attention.. but I do feel for people living near them....

Braille grooves......as in 'driving by braille".
They'll keep you awake for sure, when ya let the tire wander over on them..

cowboy43 said:
Sometimes I drive on them ,just to make noise. And bug those city folks livin by the road :cboy: :hide:

From what I hear miles away, they probably get plenty of rumbles day and night. I'd hate to be by one at a turn. I have one turn when I go to town and my car really rumbles as I slow down as I move to the right to turn....There are a few houses there too, i'm guessing they hear it every time someone turns either way

They are a wonderful thing when there's 8" of snow on the road and 60mph winds causing you to not be able to see past your hood, just say a prayer and keep it between the rumble strips. Lol

And they are miserable on the roads that are barely wide enough for two vehicles, so when pulling a trailer load of hay down the local road, you find yourself actually putting the trailer on the other side of the yellow line just so you don't have to listen to them... and on curves and such. On our local roads here, we do not have them on the outside of the lane, just in the middle. They are a royal PITA. Everyone is complaining about them.

on one road here they actually put them INSIDE the white line.. you can't even drive without being on them. terrible for tires.

At least you know. My wife has a Cadillac that had a lane holding feature that warned you if you strayed. I have replaced the sensor that is a camera three times. Chevrolet had a deal that shuck your left or right but cheek if you strayed this was in my daughter's Tahoo.

The sound from these bumps remind me of movie sounds. The movies that have big robots, or giant aliens... It always makes me look up just to make sure a giant alien monster isn't approaching....

They are great for cleaning out gravel that is stuck in your tires. And if you have a little gravel in your tires and someone is tailgating you........ You can sure make them back off.

We are about a mile from the Mountain Parkway, then about 4-5 miles the way the crow flies from where that road ends and merges on to I-64. A little ways before the parkway ends there are several of those strips across the lanes to warn of the road ending and merging. At night and when I could hear better I could hear the traffic going over those strips. When I have told that some folks can't believe it can be heard that far away.

We went camping by a back pond. All night I could hear tires hitting them. Makes you wonder, why are so many people wandering out of their lanes?? I know at 2am, people are needing to pass another constantly. These people are either falling asleep or just bad drivers.. Kind of scary

Latest posts