River Otters

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
Our Conservation Dept., who has more money than sense, decided a few years ago that we needed river otters around here to look at. Well, now, like most things they do to screw up the natural order of things, the otters have become a problem.
They have moved out of the rivers into our ponds. In 30 days they will kill every fish in the water. I stocked my pond twice, with channel, bass, and bluegill, and gave up 3 years ago. Hadn't seen one for awhile, but they have moved into Sara's pond.
Her husband went to other small lakes in the area and stocked it with up to 8 lb. bass. The otters chewed a hole through 6" thick ice, We finally got one shot, and they moved out. Now they're back. There are four of them left.
It may sound easy to shoot one, but they are smart. Their heads bob up and down in the ice hole everytime to see if anyone is around. Tried poision in my pond, but they wouldn't eat it. Others have tried to use foot traps, no luck. The one Nate shot was about 4' long from head to tip of tail, so no live trap.
Anybody, anywhere, got an easy kill for the dam things? Usually people have luck by killing one and letting him lay, but these left and came back. Thanks for any experenced tips. gs

If you know where their runways are a snare should thin them out pretty quickly

Gotta find their land route, then snare or shoot. We've got 4 that frequent our creek. Found their den back up in the swamp which is also the creek head.well, one of my dogs did anyway. He got his nose chewed up pretty good. They have some mean teeth

A lot of different ways to set for otters. Conibears in the 330, 280 and 220 sizes. Open water sets, channel sets, dry land crossovers. Just need to take a look at your area, pattern movements and set accordingly.
We had otters come through a few years ago. Didn't take long to clean out all the ponds in the area.
Bear

plumber_greg":1izkxl34 said:
Our Conservation Dept., who has more money than sense, decided a few years ago that we needed river otters around here to look at. Well, now, like most things they do to screw up the natural order of things, the otters have become a problem.
They have moved out of the rivers into our ponds. In 30 days they will kill every fish in the water. I stocked my pond twice, with channel, bass, and bluegill, and gave up 3 years ago. Hadn't seen one for awhile, but they have moved into Sara's pond.
Her husband went to other small lakes in the area and stocked it with up to 8 lb. bass. The otters chewed a hole through 6" thick ice, We finally got one shot, and they moved out. Now they're back. There are four of them left.
It may sound easy to shoot one, but they are smart. Their heads bob up and down in the ice hole everytime to see if anyone is around. Tried poision in my pond, but they wouldn't eat it. Others have tried to use foot traps, no luck. The one Nate shot was about 4' long from head to tip of tail, so no live trap.
Anybody, anywhere, got an easy kill for the dam things? Usually people have luck by killing one and letting him lay, but these left and came back. Thanks for any experenced tips. gs

I finally gave up got tired of feeding otters my catfish. They would come up the creek one night hit like ninja's and be gone. They completely wiped out two ponds full of 5 to 10 pound fed catfish.
Can't beat em and I can't afford enough catfish from them and me. They win this is one varmit that has whupped me.

If the pond is frozen and they have a hole through the ice use a connibear steel trap to get them (I ca't remember which size). Place it over the hole and chain it to the bank with a steak. Use a little fish oil to mask your scent. Get tehm during trapping season their pelts are worth something especially if they are blues.

I would check around the area and see if there is someone that traps that you trust to set a line next fall. A few highschool kids in our area trap and would love the opportunity. Some of them are pretty good. If you are like me, I don't have time to trap anymore.
Bear

Since the otters were reintroduced by the Conservation Dept. they probably won't be too keen on trapping in the near future. So I would guess they will have to have a little tax increase so they can afford to restock fish in the lakes and ponds. The other option would be to have a little tax increase so they can afford to reintroduce wolves(?) or something that would prey on the otters to keep the population in check. We're sure lucky to have such smart people running things.

ChrisB":1ffoofre said:
Since the otters were reintroduced by the Conservation Dept. they probably won't be too keen on trapping in the near future. So I would guess they will have to have a little tax increase so they can afford to restock fish in the lakes and ponds. The other option would be to have a little tax increase so they can afford to reintroduce wolves(?) or something that would prey on the otters to keep the population in check. We're sure lucky to have such smart people running things.
MO is a little more advanced then some states. They already have a trapping season for river otters.

If the pond is frozen just stay beside their hole if it's the only way up for air. They will either drown or get their heads blown off when they are forced up for air.

Tennessee decided we need more, but now they realize we need trappers, because there are a lot more fisherman that I guess they realized they would tick off. 280 and 330 conibear traps will take care of them. Find the trails up to the pond and set them in the edge of the water. If it's frozen, it's even easier since you know exactly where they are going.

Latest posts