Rito Rito 2R12

Help Support CattleToday:

At the Quaker Hill sale June 3, he was the Number 1 Lot in the sale, and they sold a 1/3 interest and Spring Possession. The 1/3 interest went for $10,000. He is considered an outcross calving ease and high marbling sire in the ABS Global A.I. Stud.

In my opinion, he is what I call "sensibly moderate" in that he is not 'extreme' in his EPD's. His low BW of -1.8 is bordering on too low, however it is balanced by WW 50, YW 85 and a very workable Milk EPD of 22. I would like to see a longer bodied bull than his picture displays, and greater hindquarter fullness, depth and thickness, but that is my opinion of Mos - Ah say, Son, - MOST Angus bulls. Quaker Hill seems to be very impressed with his potential.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":psw4frot said:
At the Quaker Hill sale June 3, he was the Number 1 Lot in the sale, and they sold a 1/3 interest and Spring Possession. The 1/3 interest went for $10,000. He is considered an outcross calving ease and high marbling sire in the ABS Global A.I. Stud.

In my opinion, he is what I call "sensibly moderate" in that he is not 'extreme' in his EPD's. His low BW of -1.8 is bordering on too low, however it is balanced by WW 50, YW 85 and a very workable Milk EPD of 22. I would like to see a longer bodied bull than his picture displays, and greater hindquarter fullness, depth and thickness, but that is my opinion of Mos - Ah say, Son, - MOST Angus bulls. Quaker Hill seems to be very impressed with his potential.

DOC HARRIS

Thank you! That confirms what I've heard also.
My cow has plenty of length, this will be her 2nd calf.
( Hereford cow, a.I'd )

I appreciate the posts,
Susie

Anything over about 75 pounds of YW is too extreme out here.

I guess the definition changes, depending on if you are paper breeding, supporting cows, or making them work for you.

mtnman

i cant talk for mtnman, but YW is highly correlated to mature size. some environments wont sustain 1400+ lb cows so mature weight has to be moderated (usually with YW when MW EPDs arent available).

mtnman":38gj93cq said:
Anything over about 75 pounds of YW is too extreme out here.

I guess the definition changes, depending on if you are paper breeding, supporting cows, or making them work for you.

mtnman
The definition of "Bottom Line Profit" does NOT change - only the amounts! My Eighth Grade Remedial Math teacher provided that bit of valuable information into my brain!

A performance spread from BW to YW of 73.2 is considered only moderate at the present time.

What criteria is being applied wherever -"out here" is to justify minimizing "Yearling Weight" to "- - -anything over about 75 pounds?" Would 80 pounds Yearling Weight be - - too much? . . . . .How about. . .82 pounds? . . .or, for Pete's sake. . . .whew. . . .88 pounds? . . . . .How about . . . . . .Oh, Forget it!

DOC HARRIS

You got it right,Aero.

My bottom line includes costs. I don't assume that more is better for YW, and that it will increase profit if I feed them more.

Costs associated with too much YW leading to too much cow weight, which increases my feed costs, or decreases my stocking rate.

Either, way, my bottom line is affected, even by my remedial math.

Truth be told, 75 is probably too much YW for me.

I'm not in a particularly tough place, I just don't like to feed more than about a ton of hay. If I crowd 75 pounds, my cows don't get pregnant.

Your right, Doc, the definition doesn't change, but not very many even bther to consider the whole definition, you know, the cost part?

mtnman