Rito 6I6 bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Mallen23

Reaction score
Has anyone had any of the bulls sired by 6I6? How do you like the calves? How were the birth weights? How were the weaning weights? Thanks.

We have had 10 or so 6I6 calves, they are tremendous females, perfect udders, small teats. Dispositions are tremendous, calm and friendly cattle. Growth is good. Well above average, As for birth weights, our calves averaged 70 lbs, 1 bull calf came at 90 though out of a first calf heifer sired by Amdahl's first class., another calving ease sire, go figure. Some were 60 lbs though. We haven't used him for several years , but we have 6 heifers that we will AI to him this year. Hope this helps.

I've not used any of 6I6 sons, though I have used a little of 6I6. I really like his calves out of more powerful cows. However, on cows that are more moderate in muscle I was disappointed.

I am not a big fan of 6I6, reason being that his front hooves poit out, not striaght like other cattle hooves. I saw 6I6 sell at the Wehrmann Angus sale, quite a few years ago. A very thick rascal, but he had problems walking into the ring. Those front legs just swayed out every time he took a step. :cboy:

Take this for what it's worth, Mallen. The fourth highest indexing bull at the Tifton Bull Test sale last week(March 1) was a 6I6 son. Out of 120 head. I really,really liked him but he went over my budget, sold at $4200. He was the only 6I6 offspring in the sale. I ended up buying another Angus bull on down the line that I think will work very nicely for me.

UG":23lid4f8 said:
I've not used any of 6I6 sons, though I have used a little of 6I6. I really like his calves out of more powerful cows. However, on cows that are more moderate in muscle I was disappointed.

My sentiments are similar. IF I use him again, it will be on the biggest cow I have, as I was disappointed in his performance on the moderate framed cow I used him on. Although, my ai rep said his female progeny will usually develop into good cows you just have to give them more time. IMO there are better 6807 sons out there which a person can use.

TSR,

What other 6807 sons do you recommend?

I've got a little Connealy Dateline in the tank we'll be using this year for the first time.

UG":3s8l6bj8 said:
TSR,

I've got a little Connealy Dateline in the tank we'll be using this year for the first time.

Emblazon?

Use 6I6 on heavier boned longer bodied cows and you will like em. Use him on smaller lighter structured cows and you will probably hate em. I think his real value is his daughters.

UG":1b4gzmex said:
TSR,

I liked Dateline better than 6I6 but maybe as the poster below said I should have used 6I6 on my larger framed cows. I would think Emblazon as posted would be a better choice or some of the Conneally herd's 6807 sons with more performance.

KMacGinley":1w1lffc4 said:
Well above average, As for birth weights, our calves averaged 70 lbs, 1 bull calf came at 90 though out of a first calf heifer sired by Amdahl's first class., another calving ease sire, go figure.
KMacGinley, how many of these heavier calves have you had to pull.

We just had the one 90 pounder from 6I6 and he was out of a first class daughter. I didn't have to pull him, she had him herself, I didn't know if she would though. The rest of them were little, 70 or less.

KMacGinley":eyghwr4b said:
We just had the one 90 pounder from 6I6 and he was out of a first class daughter. I didn't have to pull him, she had him herself, I didn't know if she would though.
Was this a pretty long bodied calf?

Yes he was really long bodied, but pretty tight shouldered, so he came on out, when we weighed him he was all of 90 which shocked us from 6I6, the rest were pretty small. But they grow well and became really exceptional cows.

Latest posts