ringworm

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I ended up getting a case of ringworm, and I have had it for a month before I knew what it was. Since I have never knowingly had it before, I am trying to save myself a trip to the doctor and use over-the counter medication. I know this is a common problem with people who raise livestock. I bought some tinactin. If I use the cream on the spots, is this all I need to do.

Thanks for any responses.

Scrape the dead skin or scab off when you put the tinactin or iodine on, it will help the medication to work better.

terra8186":3c82xw6m said:
I ended up getting a case of ringworm, and I have had it for a month before I knew what it was. Since I have never knowingly had it before, I am trying to save myself a trip to the doctor and use over-the counter medication. I know this is a common problem with people who raise livestock. I bought some tinactin. If I use the cream on the spots, is this all I need to do.

Thanks for any responses.

I have been told that if you run a few goats in your herd that you won't have ringworm in the future? We had a bad case of it last year and we are going to try this. We also used tinactin and it worked well.

we have ringworm on a few of are calves but it is mostly around there eyes and some on there spine. I can spray there spine but i do not want to spray around there eyes. How are you suppouse to spray it without it getting in there eyes.

StcAshm":3di4b8o7 said:
I have been told that if you run a few goats in your herd that you won't have ringworm in the future? We had a bad case of it last year and we are going to try this. We also used tinactin and it worked well.
Hmm, so, :???: goats or ringworm, what a choice. :p

MO Farmer":36jmjmga said:
we have ringworm on a few of are calves but it is mostly around there eyes and some on there spine. I can spray there spine but i do not want to spray around there eyes. How are you suppouse to spray it without it getting in there eyes.
Use an ointment and just rub it in

I am confused. I thought you were saying that YOU caught ringworm from your cattle. Right? If the over the counter anti fungals have not gotten rid of it for you, probably should visit your doctor.
It is easy to catch when you are treating animals effected with it. Important to wash hands after handling them and to clean equipment used with bleach solution.

1982vett":9nrcyn43 said:
StcAshm":9nrcyn43 said:
Hmm, so, :???: goats or ringworm, what a choice. :p

Yes, but with goats, you get that wonderful aroma wafting around... :nod:

Tenactin was the ticket. It stopped any new spots and is making the old spots go away. Thanks for the responses.

I am confused. I thought you were saying that YOU caught ringworm from your cattle. Right? If the over the counter anti fungals have not gotten rid of it for you, probably should visit your doctor.
It is easy to catch when you are treating animals effected with it. Important to wash hands after handling them and to clean equipment used with bleach solution.

I don't know where I got it from. I do have cattle, but I haven't seen any symptoms of ringworm on them. It actually showed up when I was sitting on a tractor planting for a couple of weeks.

Yup, you could have gotten it off the tractor if the tractor had been exposed to cattle with ringworm. We purchased a tractor from a dairyman - we got ringworm on most every animal - from calves to mature cows. "Generally", once they have had it, they won't get it again, so obviously, my cows had never had it before.

Yup, you could have gotten it off the tractor if the tractor had been exposed to cattle with ringworm.

I don't think it was from the tractor. The tractor didn't show any symptoms of ringworm, and didn't have any circles of paint missing either. :D :D

Latest posts