ringworm.....

Help Support CattleToday:

eric

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
Location
Tx.......just north of Dallas
I have a 3 month old calf and I think she has ringworm(s). There are 2 small patches on her back, right on top, kinda greyish in color and they look like they are scabbing over. I read in the diseases section of this forum that ringworms aren't that big of a deal and would probably cure itself, so is that true? Or should I be concerned at this point? The other calf doesn't appear to have it, and the mama's don't either. What (if anything) should I treat it with?

Another question, since I had planned on worming all of them in a month or so anyway, can someone give me some directions on how the pour on wormers are applied, other than the obvious, they are poured on. Is the product mixed with anything out of the container, or is it used full strength? What do you pour it on with? Is there a special applicator that I will need, or does the bottle come with one? Do you pour it all over the body, just in certain places, or what is the preferred application. How much would I need to pour on 4 cows and 2 calves? Does this stuff keep for 6 months after being opened up, or should I only buy what I plan on using at this time, and not try to store it.

I plan on buying a working chute and some portable panels to do this with, since I can't see any other way to pen them up. Has anyone ever bought one of the chutes from Tractor Supply? Will it hold up O K ?

Wow, didnt mean to take up so much forum space, but these are questions I have been pondering, and since not many other folks will admit to being a beginner, I figured I might as well ask them!
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
4
Location
MO Ozarks
Ringworm is highly contagious and can be spread to people and pets as well as other cattle. Anything the calf has come in contact with will likely harbor the fungus and others may or may not get it. Next week, next year, next decade, etc. There are a bunch of different treatments from spraying with iodine, scrubbing with crest toothpaste, scarlet oil, etc. You can also leave it alone and it will eventually go away. I don;t know of any way to prevent others from getting it, just treat it as it comes if you choose to treat it at all.
Don't know about equipment from TS, depends on the brand and the grade level that it is.
Some pour-ons are premixed, some require mixing, check the packaging. The hardest part I've had with pour-ons is judging how fast to pour it and move down the topline. Some containers have an appicator attached/as part of the container, others you need some type of dipper, longed handled is best.
It's all pretty much, you pays your money and takes your chances. Some folks swear by stuff that I just swear at.

dun
 

Tc

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Location
Clawhammer TN.
ivamac pour on will take care of ring worm, lice, all exterer an interer parisites.it comes with aplicator.just set the dial to the cows weight an pour down the backbone.very simple. for liver flukes get the plus kind.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc
 

Lee

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
Check your local CO-OP they carry pour-on that will take care of ring worm, lice, grubs,horn worms, etc. etc If you buy a gallon or more they will give you a long handled dipper. Most of it's good for a year or two if you don't let it freeze.
 

Hawk

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
North East Texas
As Dun stated, ringworm is caused by a fungus, not parasites. Applying a wormer to the animal will have no effect on the ringworm. The infected areas may be treated with a substance that kills fungus. I have had some success using iodine. You have to scrub away the crust and get the medicine down to the skin. Ringworm is worse during the winter and generally clears up on its on in the spring once the animals start getting more sun. The condition is very contagious to other animals, including humans. You are right to want to worm your herd on a regular basis. The products that I use have an applicator build into the container. The wormer is poured in a line along the cow's back from the withers to the tail head. You can store the wormer, you don't have to use it all at once. Just pay close attention to the instructions that come with whatever product you choose. Ask the guys at TSC, I'm sure they will be glad to help you. Good luck.
 
A

Anonymous

Tc":1mgjgobp said:
ivamac pour on will take care of ring worm, lice, all exterer an interer parisites.it comes with aplicator.just set the dial to the cows weight an pour down the backbone.very simple. for liver flukes get the plus kind.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

NO IT WON'T!!!! Ringworm is a FUNGUS. IvOmec is an antiparasitic drug. Yes, it will get lice, warbles and GI nematodes, but it won't touch tapeworms. The plus will get liver flukes as well.

Talk to your vet about the best way for you to treat your animal (s) for ringworm.

Good Luck!
V
 

Tc

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Location
Clawhammer TN.
yes it will!! i rub it on ringworm all the time and it clears it right up. have you ever tried it V? no need going to vet for ring worm.i bet youed try selling him some hi-doller medication to put on it.vets will rip you a new one when it comes to cattle.thers lots of stuff you can put on ringworm.youve got to deworm anyway so just try it and youll find out it works.~~~~~~~~TC
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
4
Location
MO Ozarks
Shoe polish would probably work if you rubbed it into the ringworm. I do believe that the all previous answers and the original quetion were referring to using it as a pour on, not as a topical treatment.

dun


Tc":2qaxsdr6 said:
yes it will!! i rub it on ringworm all the time and it clears it right up. have you ever tried it V? no need going to vet for ring worm.i bet youed try selling him some hi-doller medication to put on it.vets will rip you a new one when it comes to cattle.thers lots of stuff you can put on ringworm.youve got to deworm anyway so just try it and youll find out it works.~~~~~~~~TC
 
A

Anonymous

yes,I was specifically asking about the pour on, as this is the best method of application from what I have gathered from this forum. That being said, while at TSC checking out the chutes today, I noticed that they also had some deworming pellets by the pour on packages. Has anyone ever used these and care to give results? The 5 lb. box said to give each animal 1 lb. / 1000lb. of body weight. This would be easier for me as I could separate them into a couple of pens at a time and mix in a lb. with some cubes or some corn. The one lb. pellets would give them the exact same dosage as the molasses blocks recommended .27kg/lb. of body weight. Seems simple enough, but does it work?
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Anonymous":2vkkzofi said:
yes,I was specifically asking about the pour on, as this is the best method of application from what I have gathered from this forum. That being said, while at TSC checking out the chutes today, I noticed that they also had some deworming pellets by the pour on packages. Has anyone ever used these and care to give results? The 5 lb. box said to give each animal 1 lb. / 1000lb. of body weight. This would be easier for me as I could separate them into a couple of pens at a time and mix in a lb. with some cubes or some corn. The one lb. pellets would give them the exact same dosage as the molasses blocks recommended .27kg/lb. of body weight. Seems simple enough, but does it work?
We tried some and the cattle pushed the pelletts off aside and ate the feed. If you feed the pellets mixed with a loose sweet feed they will eat them much better. They do seem to work.
 
OP
E

eric

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
Location
Tx.......just north of Dallas
Well, I tried the pellets this afternoon. I seperated the cows and gave the first two a pound of dewormer pellets and about 1/2 a bucket of range cubes. As I was mixing the next batch, I checked on the first 2 cows....they had indeed eaten all the cubes and had managed to push all the pellets aside! So I then poured some corn along with the pellets and they didnt have any luck separating the corn out, so they just ate the pellets and the corn together.
So am I good for 6 months or should I deworm again sooner? Anyone else care to comment on the pellets for deworming?
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
4
Location
MO Ozarks
Unless your pasture has a real severe parasite load every 6 months should be ok

dun


eric":2uc0fksz said:
Well, I tried the pellets this afternoon. I seperated the cows and gave the first two a pound of dewormer pellets and about 1/2 a bucket of range cubes. As I was mixing the next batch, I checked on the first 2 cows....they had indeed eaten all the cubes and had managed to push all the pellets aside! So I then poured some corn along with the pellets and they didnt have any luck separating the corn out, so they just ate the pellets and the corn together.
So am I good for 6 months or should I deworm again sooner? Anyone else care to comment on the pellets for deworming?
 

amazed

Active member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
For ringworm we put waste oil in a dish detergent container with a pull top which makes application handier and less mess.

It's cheap and it works. Make sure you use gloves and scrape the crust off the ringworm first.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
amazed":2bmbb2nr said:
For ringworm we put waste oil in a dish detergent container with a pull top which makes application handier and less mess.

It's cheap and it works. Make sure you use gloves and scrape the crust off the ringworm first.
What ratio do you mix the oil and detergent?
 

Latest posts

Top