ringworm?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have 2 jersey steers approx 1 yr old they have dry spots around eyes and dry spots with hair missing in several spots on on body most spots are dime sized and round could it be ringworm and is there an effectice treatment shorthorn steer in same pen has none

[email protected]

Steer may not have ringworm right now, but do nothing, and he will. I think if you contact your local feed store or vet, they have some cream to put on the spots, maybe even a vaccine. If there is more than one spot, now is not the time to be playing around with home remedies.

[email protected]

Yes it sounds like ringworm. You can agressively treat it or ignore it. If you are planning on going to a show, you may need to clear it up because you cannot get health papers with ringworm. If left alone, it will run it's course (which will probably include spreading to the shorthorn steer). It is very contageous (including to humans). If you want to try to eliminate it, you need to scrub everything (walls, boards, gates, feed pans, brushes - any thing in contact to the animals with a clorox mixture. The "spots" should be scrubbed with a harsh curry comb, getting rid of all scaly stuff - generally this will make the skin bleed, that's OK. Put clorox on the spots - it will burn. I usually do this for two days, then I apply vaseline to the spots - enough to cover the spots. Ringworm is a fungus, and if you cover it with vaseline (or greese) it smothers it. There are as many recipies for ringworm as there are people on this board. You can purchase cattle fungicides, people athletes foot medicines, toothpasts, paste wormer, etc. I find the clorox/vaseline works well and it's cheap and handy. Jeanne
> i have 2 jersey steers approx 1 yr
> old they have dry spots around
> eyes and dry spots with hair
> missing in several spots on on
> body most spots are dime sized and
> round could it be ringworm and is
> there an effectice treatment
> shorthorn steer in same pen has
> none

[email protected]

Latest posts