ringworm

Help Support CattleToday:

(User Above)":1f2yfa36 said:
: how is the best way to control ringworm on six month old calves?<p>Francis,<br>I read on some discussion page that someone that used Crest toothpaste with success. Get a toothbrush with soft brushes and rub the paste in good. I am going to try this myself. Let me know how you come out. At least this approach should be a nontoxic approach to a young calf.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

,<br>: I read on some discussion page that someone that used Crest toothpaste with success<p>Crest toothpaste works well for ringworm, especially around the eyes, but don't get it in the eyes. For some reason, other brands don't work. It causes the immune system to recognize the fungus as foreign and kill it off. Good Luck<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":rgi6nwui said:
: ,<br>: : I read on some discussion page that someone that used Crest toothpaste with success<p>: Crest toothpaste works well for ringworm, especially around the eyes, but don't get it in the eyes. For some reason, other brands don't work. It causes the immune system to recognize the fungus as foreign and kill it off. Good Luck<br>: V<p>How many times do you do this a day/week???
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":39k5c326 said:
: How many times do you do this a day/week???<p>Usually once, scrub in with toothbrush which you will NEVER use again....scrub in so scales are off, not down to bleeding....and that's it, you're done. I've never had to do it a second time...<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1qiivhnt said:
: : ,<br>: : : I read on some discussion page that someone that used Crest toothpaste with success<p>: : Crest toothpaste works well for ringworm, especially around the eyes, but don't get it in the eyes. For some reason, other brands don't work. It causes the immune system to recognize the fungus as foreign and kill it off. Good Luck<br>: : V<p>: How many times do you do this a day/week???<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1v0wfg56 said:
: : how is the best way to control ringworm on six month old calves?<p>Scrub until scales are off, not down to bleeding then rub iodine into the ringworm, repeat daily should work after a week or so
<br>

[email protected]

I have heard that you can topically apply the stuff in the oral application tube for internal worms. Been told it works great when applied topically to the ringworm area. What do you think Vet Vicki, will it work?<br> <p> : How many times do you do this a day/week???<p>: Usually once, scrub in with toothbrush which you will NEVER use again....scrub in so scales are off, not down to bleeding....and that's it, you're done. I've never had to do it a second time...<br>: V<p>
<br>

(User Above)":30jkhqdk said:
: I have heard that you can topically apply the stuff in the oral application tube for internal worms. Been told it works great when applied topically to the ringworm area. What do you think Vet Vicki, will it work?<br>Huh? Sorry to be daft, but are you saying topical Crest toothpaste is a systemic dewormer? Not in my universe....
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2zafm303 said:
: : I guess I didn't state that very well V. Not crest in the tube. But horsewormer in that comes in a tube for oral admin. as in strongoid paste or something similar.<p>I have heard that you can topically apply the stuff in the oral application tube for internal worms. Been told it works great when applied topically to the ringworm area. What do you think Vet Vicki, will it work?<br>: Huh? Sorry to be daft, but are you saying topical Crest toothpaste is a systemic dewormer? Not in my universe....<p>
<br>

Ok, so you're talking topical application of an oral dewormer?? The three main oral dewormers are pyrantel pamoate +/- oxantel pamoate, ivermectin (equvalan for horses, not for ruminants) and febantel (panacur) Without going into a massive research on the topic, my guess would be ineffective topically (due to the relative difficulty of getting drugs across cattle skin) but you are welcome to contact any of the companies marketing the products to find out for sure. http://www.google.com will have the addresses of any drug co. I'm sure! And, no, you wouldn't want to be in my neighbourhood--2 feet of snow, beautiful sunny day, about 5F....well, maybe you would! Take care, Joyeux Noel!<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts