Ringworm?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before but, are there any "sure fire cures" for clearing up ringworm. One up my show calves has all of the sudden developed it. Thanks B&G

need to find the right ear of a bull bat , 3 tuffs of hair from albino coon and crush all this up and add to a paste of Vaseline, apply it on the 15th of a month that ends in T. wait 3 days then sprinkle it with swamp water out of an old turtle shell. In about a month it will be gone.

M-5":345bu5us said:
need to find the right ear of a bull bat , 3 tuffs of hair from albino coon and crush all this up and add to a paste of Vaseline, apply it on the 15th of a month that ends in T. wait 3 days then sprinkle it with swamp water out of an old turtle shell. In about a month it will be gone.
LOL!

I remember seeing sure-fire cures for ringworm and I did scrub one of them with a toothbrush & iodine but we had our first real outbreak earlier this year & my vet said to leave it be, would clear up in a couple months. It did. No scars, nothing, can't even tell which ones had it - and that includes the one I "doctored" twice a day for 2 weeks. BUT when are you showing this calf? There's probably something faster/better than sunlight & time.

TCRanch":l86ks99c said:
I remember seeing sure-fire cures for ringworm and I did scrub one of them with a toothbrush & iodine but we had our first real outbreak earlier this year & my vet said to leave it be, would clear up in a couple months. It did. No scars, nothing, can't even tell which ones had it - and that includes the one I "doctored" twice a day for 2 weeks. BUT when are you showing this calf? There's probably something faster/better than sunlight & time.

He'll be shown in late October. Thanks for your input. B&G

I show cattle and generally can get it cleaned up to pass a vet health check in a week.
I am NOT susceptible to ringworm, so I do not protect myself.
I use a curry comb, scrape all the dry crusty (even around the edges under the hair) until you are down to raw skin & it probably will bleed. Pour clorox on it. Cover it with vaseline. Put vaseline on it 2-3 times a day. I use my thumb nail and scrape the vaseline into the skin. By day 3 or 4 should have healthy soft skin.
Biggest thing is to keep an eye out for NEW ones. I wash cattle with EQ Solution and it acts as a fungicide, helping not to spread it. Be sure to clean your curry comb and any other equipment (clippers) so you don't spread to others.
Ringworm is like a child hood disease. Once they have it and goes away, they never "should" get it again. Any calves outside, I just let it run it's course and let any of them catch it. It's strictly a cosmetic issue.

Yes, everyone says sunshine is good for it, and it may be, but, that may not get rid of it in time for his show. Especially if he gets more spots - which is very likely.
Sunshine is all my "normal" calves get for a cure, but not my show string.

Black and Good":2y2fvx7w said:
Thanks everyone. So far I've poured him with Warbex and put grease on it. B&G
Isn't Warbex a pesticide? That is not going to help ringworm at all. Ringworm is not a worm - it is a FUNGUS. The reason I keep vaseline (or greese) is to SMOTHER it. It needs air to live.

I don't get a single case here. I take a bull out to Fire Sweep and in a month, they have it. Ringworm fungus is ubiquitous so I know the spores are here, but there is something that prevents it in their environment here. IDK

Bright Raven":2yienesb said:
I don't get a single case here. I take a bull out to Fire Sweep and in a month, they have it. Ringworm fungus is ubiquitous so I know the spores are here, but there is something that prevents it in their environment here. IDK
Interesting, I guess it must be like lice huh? B&G

Black and Good":3vf6knho said:
Bright Raven":3vf6knho said:

Ringworm is a Lot different than lice. Not sure what you mean? I guess you mean they are everywhere. That is probably true.

Bright Raven":2xi3cohk said:
Black and Good":2xi3cohk said:
Bright Raven":2xi3cohk said:

Ringworm is a Lot different than lice. Not sure what you mean? I guess you mean they are everywhere. That is probably true.
Yeah, I meant how it seems to be in the ground. B&G