Ringworm on Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What are some effective treatments of ringworm? A recent addition of a cow/calf pair seems to have introduced it into the herd. I have never dealt with it before. Thanks-
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":378e5tvh said:
: What are some effective treatments of ringworm? A recent addition of a cow/calf pair seems to have introduced it into the herd. I have never dealt with it before. Thanks-<p>Ringworm is a fungus, so avoid contact with hands as people can get it too. We have used a mixture of iodine and glycerin (equal parts) and applied it to the affected area. Both of these items are available w/out a prescription at any drug store or Wal-Mart. This seems to work well. Since it is a fungus, it can also contaminate the lot/area as well and also spread to other animals. We had this a few winters ago, I think it took only one application, maybe two. Ringworm also tends to go away during the warmer months too.<p>Good Luck.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2letdzb7 said:
: : What are some effective treatments of ringworm? A recent addition of a cow/calf pair seems to have introduced it into the herd. I have never dealt with it before. Thanks-<p>: Ringworm is a fungus, so avoid contact with hands as people can get it too. We have used a mixture of iodine and glycerin (equal parts) and applied it to the affected area. Both of these items are available w/out a prescription at any drug store or Wal-Mart. This seems to work well. Since it is a fungus, it can also contaminate the lot/area as well and also spread to other animals. We had this a few winters ago, I think it took only one application, maybe two. Ringworm also tends to go away during the warmer months too.<p>: Good Luck.<br>You can use vagisil cream on ringworm<br>
<br>

[email protected]

My steer just had ringworm, the hair is just starting to grow back. He had it very badly on his face. I treated it by scrubbing the scabs of with soap and water(the scabs MUST be removed for the fungus to be elliminated). It's also important that you disinfect the scrub brush with bleach after you scrub. Iodine is also a good way to treat ringworm, but I was afraid to use it around his eyes. After I scrubbed the scabs off, I applied a cream for athletes foot which I purchased from a local drug store. The fungus that causes athletes foot is the same as that that causes ringworm. This treatment worked well for me, especially with the fact that the ringworm was so close to his eyes. You only need to scrub the areas until the scabs are gone and the skin is smooth (probably 4-7 days). It is also important that you continue to apply the cream until all of the hair has grown back, because funguses such as ringworm tend to return easily if not fully warded off. There are probably actual medicines and scrubs made for this, but this is an effective and very cheap way to treat the fungus. Best of Luck! P.S. DON'T FORGET TO WEAR DISPOSABLE GLOVES!!!
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts