Ringworm in 6 week old isolated calf group.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
greggy - I would not put a 250# with a group that goes up to 1200#!
Silver - ???? "I suppose if I were showing cattle vaccinating for it may be a good idea."

Bovilis Ringvac

Not available in the US. Studies have shown that there is no significant reduction in clinical disease with the use of the vaccine but the lesions heal more quickly in vaccinated animals and there is less hide damage. They could demonstrate no change in rate of gain between the groups.

greggy - I would not put a 250# with a group that goes up to 1200#!
Silver - ???? "I suppose if I were showing cattle vaccinating for it may be a good idea."

Already did that...lol...but ..

the 200s... grew, as did the now 1200 or so Jersey cross

I actually watch what they all do and how they interact, the younger ones are a bit shyer, and no horns, so prob go to the group that has ringworm when done, they will then be the new bosses, but not so much as when one has horns and others do not.

Jersey horns will get the shop if she stays, she is very friendly and mothering, except for feed time...lol...who would have guessed :)

They are pretty cluey though, they wait for the gaps, and go for it, are growing, so that is the aim....

Competitive groups prob do better than a bunch of lazy eaters....

Well, it is about week 4 now.....

Most still have what appeared in first week, so my playing around with vinegar, bleach, tea tree oil was nothing more than a workout for me ....as many of you said......and some training in the yards for these young calves.

One seems to have more spots now, another has multiple spots that camevprob a week ago...so now only 2 seem to show no sign, or obvious sign that is.

I have another group of calves, they are not seoerated by much space, and, if I want the newer group to learn to graze a little, it means using a strip that is only seperating them by 1 panel, i.e, they can smooch...well, can contact when checking each other out.

Soon I would like the new group to join the fungus infected leper colony 😀

How long after first signs of ringworm can it be transmitted.

Most of this new group came from other properties, so, maybe none have been exposed yet.

How long should I wait to keep this lot isolated, assuming you do not want it going through others if you can reasonably help it.

I am prob going to wean the new group from milk in a week or two, depending on hard feed intake, today started once a day feeding with milk.

2 reasons I want them together.

Ease of having one lot of water and feed area and place to cart feeds too

And second, it will teach theses newer ones to eat more different feeds.

I may have missed some posts on this thread, but I'm wondering why you are worried about this going through the rest of your animals? Ringworm is not bothersome for the animal, it runs it's course and everything returns to normal. It's unsightly, but if they aren't going anywhere then why fret about it?

My thinking is too limit the spread and amount on property, it was not here prior to them coming here.....maybe a waste of effort.

Second is, the boss is worried as I handle the stock, and does not want me to get or share it 😀

I do have some I want too sell too, so do not want them to have it, selling too other hobby farmers.

Well, you have it on your farm. It's not going away. You can scrub everything down with Clorox, but I seriously doubt you would ever be able to eliminate it. Everything they have come in contact with has exposure. Gates, feeders, water bowls, tubs, boards, walls, maybe even your shoes.
If you get it, it's like the cattle. It should run the course & you "should" never get it again - although, I have heard of people being extremely susceptible to it. If you have cattle, you probably are going to have ringworm. Winter is the worse time for "quick" recovery. Sunshine helps it.

lol....I wear long clothes and almost no skin showing...always a hat with flaps...so sun wont be my cure....I am sensitive to sun and spent decades working all night...had some cancers cut out too so that keeps me aware of sun...which is much worse down here...

I prob had it when young, the boss is the sensitive one, you cant be worried about marks, cuts, bruises etc when working livestock or active outdoors on a acreage...I am the outdoor kind, boss is a city cafe kind... 😀

So I may as well just say what the heck then...cause the other mobs all have to use same yard and race etc...

So to make sure I have this straight.

Waiting till lesions heal on the isolated mob makes no diff, cause any animal now that uses the same area will be exposed and likely contract fungus ?

I was thinking most likely transmission was calves butting heads and jockeying for position.....therefore forceful and complete contact with clearly infected animal, it shows up on head and where head can reach was my suspicion, or vice versa, not so much from rubbing on say a gate, but I understand that can do it too.

Not sure if I am making sense, I should prob look for a medical journal re ringworm.

If it is high risk for contraction mingling with others who show signs 4 weeks later, and low risk if just having to use the chute that the others have been in whilst developing the fungus

Or

Both have same risk of contraction, therefore just do whatever.

Prob should not answer my own questions.

But as they are a confined mob, as are the other groups, I think I will wait till it heals.

Is no big deal to clean down yards and race when I have to run others in there.

It is summer here, we are in drought, so pretty dusty and dry, if it spread in these conditions, it must be due to direct contact.

Also according to below, the ones showing no signs can be just as bad for passing on.

So wont mix them unless others in other groups show signs at this point.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/VY/VY-56.html

Yes, that explains it well.
We had no ringworm on the farm. We purchased a tractor from a dairy - which we used to feed hay, etc. It was disastrous. From nursing calves to mature cows. Nothing had an immunity to it. The big cows got it the worse. They were a mess - but, it ran it's course & now it's just a few calves every now & then.

thiabendazole paste
Effective, cheap, readily available, stays where its applied and AFAIK safe to use near eye area. That said I long ago opted not to get my panties in a wad over periodic ring worm out breaks. Long way from their hearts doncha know. :roll:

Yes, that explains it well.
We had no ringworm on the farm. We purchased a tractor from a dairy - which we used to feed hay, etc. It was disastrous. From nursing calves to mature cows. Nothing had an immunity to it. The big cows got it the worse. They were a mess - but, it ran it's course & now it's just a few calves every now & then.

You dont have a quarantine practice for all new machinery ? :tiphat: :hide: :D

Although no big deal now, am sure it would have been annoying at the time.

Were they able to use the tractor to rub on, or did it come from dirt on tyres etc you reckon.

Does anyone know the time it takes from a decent exposure, for clinical signs to show....

I can make assumptions on this, but this group may have got it either in sales yards or the yard I got them from, or, one in the group may have had it, and they may have all developed it once here......

I should start a thread on pink eye, I know some calves were exposed to this in close quarters too others that had that disease. Tried selling me some....what a great idea, buy one with that and stick it in with a confined calf mob.....nah....

Just an update for anyone who reads all this...

About Mid January, when the others in this mob had cleared any visual signs of ringworm, the last 2 started showing signs, one quite bad, the other, just around the eye, not sure why these 2 were most resistant as they are prob on the smaller side of the mob.

What I have noticed, is they now have pretty much cleared up, so they showed signs much later, and have cleared them much faster than others, others had it in the hottest and driest part of weather so far.

I keep another mob separated, but basically only by a panel, and have brought in some others too, they can nose and smell each other, they are not competing for same food, so no vigorous rubbing, none in second mob, so far, shown any signs at all.

I am not sweating on this, but it is good to know and see what happens I guess.

I would like to merge both mobs soon, will see how that goes, I cannot clean the whole area used by others, so will be interesting t o see if they get it from soil etc, that is the ones that have never had it.

Does anyone know how long after the visual signs have cleared up, that it can be passed on, i.e is it more contagious in the pre and during stage, than the post visual signs ?

I am leaning toward the physical heavy rubbing as the most likely way to spread effectively. It must be carried too with no signs by some, so if you have a mob that are close together, I would expect all have it even if not showing signs.

The "mob" not showing any sign - may have already had it prior to your ownership. It is pretty contagious. It will linger on gates, equipment, etc. Once they have it and it clears up - they "shouldn't" get it again. I would not base my decisions on any ringworm. Sooner they get it, sooner it's over with.

Yeah, thanks Jeanne, I considered that, and it may, or, may not be true.

It is not as bad as my corona virus gifted to us all, because the 2 mobs of calves are right next to each other, have been for months now, I know they nose each other here and there, if it was that contagious, the second lot would already have it.

I agree, I could just let them all out and have at it, but I am sort of doing an unfunded study of sorts, even if it is nothing, I somehow find myself curious to know what is happening exactly, not exactly scientifically though.

Do you have any thoughts on animals contagion after signs have passed, hair grown back etc, and then put into a clean area with others not yet exposed ?

I will correct myself if wrong, but it seems simple exclusion of others from the zone occupied by the calf group that have now all had ringworm, has topped it going into various other areas and groups.

None of the non infected calves or yearlings etc have been allowed into this exclusion zone, I should be hired by the WHO maybe.... ;-) On a serious note, I am truly curious, and hope it helps someone else....

I had them separated anyway, mainly cause the age meant diet differences, they are now pretty much on same diet bar 2 that will be on milk till this weeks end.

I will then probably merge them. It will just be easier for me. These last 2 to show signs have cleared up very quick, I can hardly see it already.

I understand your position.