Ringworm in 6 week old isolated calf group.

Help Support CattleToday:

ointment for foot fungus or jock itch (whichever is cheaper, they have the same ingredients) will work, but harder to apply than bleach.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/livestock/article/2018/10/01/ringworm-hard-cycle-break

"The only practical treatment of ringworm on cattle involves topical antifungal products. Various solutions, including Betadine, chlorhexidine and dilute bleach, as well as antifungal ointments, are used. For these to be effective, however, crusts and scales overlying the active infection must be removed by brushing, scraping or scrubbing. Merely spraying an antifungal on the animal does not produce consistent results. This essentially limits treatment to cattle that are easily handled like show or dairy animals. Stockers would certainly not fit into that category." more at link

I did them all today with a bleach solution.

Can be a bit of fun wrestling the larger 200 or so lb heifer.

I noticed the grumpier and larger ones had the most lesions...alas...my sample size means zip.

Will see what happens next 😀

If you used it in sprayer like I see them in the orchards here, then you prob could not, as it would get everywhere.

Would prob be good to spray yards with.

Redgully said:
wbvs58 said:
I can handle kittens with ringworm all day long and never get a mark on me. In my days as a Vet I had the good fortune of examining a few young ladies breasts that had some ringworm lesions from cuddling kittens. When I diagnosed ringworm in the kitten they would pop a boob out and say oh, I think I have one too.

Ken

Boobs and puzzys.....did you charge them extra or knock a bit off?

Did you cunningly add that to have a double meaning ?

I wonder why Ken was resistant to ringworm ?

My boss is now worried I will give it to her....guess nothing will be popping out for me ? :D :cboy:

TCRanch said:
I treat ringworm the same way as warts. Do nothing. It'll clear up. I personally wouldn't comingle the groups just yet but unless they're show cattle if the other ones get it it's not a big deal.

Would you treat the yards and feeders etc ?

Or is this futile.

I use same yard area for all and sheep too.

Gave everything a bit of a spray down with bleach, then washed off tge metal surfaces and feeders etc, thinking the bleach may discolour gal metal and rubber and plastics.

Spraying the whole area with that Captan may be a good idea once it starts to go away from this group ?

Although it does nothing serious, it would impact if I was to go to sell some stock, so would rather try and rid it from my property.

It came in via this last isolated group.

Mix the Captan into a paste to rub on the ringworm. Spray any area with a small sprayer. Unlike bleach it won't hurt a thing even if it gets in their eyes

As Hippie Rancher described for topicals to work you really need to remove all the scab and scale and hair before applying. It would be futile spraying the surroundings for the same reason.

Ken

greggy said:
TCRanch said:
I treat ringworm the same way as warts. Do nothing. It'll clear up. I personally wouldn't comingle the groups just yet but unless they're show cattle if the other ones get it it's not a big deal.

Would you treat the yards and feeders etc ?

Or is this futile.

I use same yard area for all and sheep too.

Gave everything a bit of a spray down with bleach, then washed off tge metal surfaces and feeders etc, thinking the bleach may discolour gal metal and rubber and plastics.

Spraying the whole area with that Captan may be a good idea once it starts to go away from this group ?

Although it does nothing serious, it would impact if I was to go to sell some stock, so would rather try and rid it from my property.

It came in via this last isolated group.
I treated a cow last year, primarily as an experiment. She healed pretty much the same time as the others. So no, I wouldn't treat the yards & feeders. Time and sunshine work wonders. From what I've seen, it really doesn't make a difference at the sale barn - it's just a fungus.

Nothing for you to fret about. It will run it's course and they should never get it again.
As mentioned, just putting something ON it won't really help unless you are able to completely scub off all the cry crud.
When my show cattle get it, I have to try to clear it up as fast as possible. I use a curry comb and scrape all the crud off until the skin actually bleeds. Then I put bleach on it. then I cover it with vaseline, and keep covering with vaseline everytime I can. Ringworm is a fungus. Fungus needs air to survive. If you keep it smothered (grease, oil, vaseline) it can't get air so it dies.
Cowgal604 - just so you know (and any newbies that read your post), deworming does absolutely NOTHING for ringworm. Ringworm is not any kind of worm - just a fungus.

Learned from the show guys long time ago and I continue to use to this day. I'd say cuts recovery time in half opposed to doing nothing.

Fluid Film in can spray from John Deere. I've bought from other sources and did not seem to work. Soak them good couple times.

Or if you don't mind going to drug store and looking like a weirdo get some Vagisil. That works like a champ too, tho ladies at drug store look at you awfully funny.

Been using fluid film for 20 years. Works great.

Till-Hill - good call - that also goes on the same theory, smother it so it can't get air.
Edit: Vaseline is super cheap and generally in every household. but, super important to clean off the scaly junk first and kill with clorox, then smother.

How quick can you get it to go away too the point where it is not so obvious ? I am not sure of how quick calf hair grows.....

On my show cattle, I will scrub it til it bleeds, clorox then the vaseline as often as I am in the barn. When I put the vaseline on, I scrub it into the raw skin and the skin in the surrounding edges. I generally can get it to pass a vet inspection in about 3-4 days. May or may not have started growing hair, but if it is soft, pliable, pink (or black!!) skin, they will let you in.

Well, it certainly has not stopped these young beasts from consuming feed in a vigorous manner !

lol

Actually, I think the one that showed signs first shared it around, she has it on eye area, and will head butt, and wrestle with head, every time there is feed around.....

Anyway, they all eat well, it is very dry and pretty hot, so, it had me a bit worried it may have more effect or spread and be worse in our fall and winter, or your spring and summer....

The way this bunch are eating, not much will stop them.....

Actually, have another young heifer coming tomorrow.

I believe she is weaned, so the ringworm fungus group is in yards, other heifers and steers are not far away, but they range from 400 too 1200lb, and very competitive with the feed too, one has an advantage as has horns.

if this new one is 250 odd lbs, would you hold her, and put with the ringworm group once cleared, or, pull the ones at around 400, which are shyer feeders, and put them together in a holding area to get them used to each other and fatten a bit, I can put the ringworm crowd with them once clear to make 2 mobs again.

But may have more groups coming later, but I will likely be milk feeding them.

Latest posts