Ringworm in 6 week old isolated calf group.

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi all

Have a group of 10 young calves isolated, a chunk of them have developed what seems to be ringworm, mainly around eye area.

I was going to feed this group with some other calvrs to make feeding easier and with some older heifers, who I am not sure of past, ie if they have had it before,

I also have another group of young ones coming, so may be hard to stop some of them getting it if they go into holding area.

So what do you say, just let it be and run its course, and whomever gets it does, or does not.

I think it has been introduced via this last group, but now it would be in soil and all over yard area etc.

3 or 4 have not developed any signs.

Will do some pics later possibly.

We get ringworm almost every year around this time. I was told to put used motor oil on the spots. Not sure if it's an old wives tale but I do try that when it gets bad. I deworm them and try and keep them dry and let it runs it's course. Usually once one gets it they all do in the group.

Oil would prob work, to much gunk in used oil though.

I am in australia, so is a very warm and dry spring here.

I put some tea tree oil which is anti fungal, but buggered if I am going to wrestle 10 calves daily...too much else to do.

I better go take some photos.

I am thinking let it run its course, and now it is in yard area, they will all get exposed most likey, unless I somehow kill it all. Which is prob a waste of effort.

3 have no signs at all, 7 have it, started with one showing it prob 4 weeks or so ago.

Anyway, pics will prob helf confirm what it is.

Would you keep them isolated, or, let them with others, assuming it is ringworm.

I was thinking once they had it, should not get again as should build resistance, does anyone know if us humans do resist once had prior ?

I can handle kittens with ringworm all day long and never get a mark on me. In my days as a Vet I had the good fortune of examining a few young ladies breasts that had some ringworm lesions from cuddling kittens. When I diagnosed ringworm in the kitten they would pop a boob out and say oh, I think I have one too.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I can handle kittens with ringworm all day long and never get a mark on me. In my days as a Vet I had the good fortune of examining a few young ladies breasts that had some ringworm lesions from cuddling kittens. When I diagnosed ringworm in the kitten they would pop a boob out and say oh, I think I have one too.

Ken

Hard work huh Ken ? :)

wbvs58 said:

Ken

Boobs and puzzys.....did you charge them extra or knock a bit off?

I treat ringworm the same way as warts. Do nothing. It'll clear up. I personally wouldn't comingle the groups just yet but unless they're show cattle if the other ones get it it's not a big deal.

greggy said:
Would you keep them isolated, or, let them with others, assuming it is ringworm.

I was thinking once they had it, should not get again as should build resistance, does anyone know if us humans do resist once had prior ?

I wouldn't isolate. Ringworm isn't a big deal. And I don't know about a resistance but my sister as a child had it many times haha. She had a thing for cats. My mom used to dose her with the other animals.

Do the images have you all saying that is ringworm.....

I can put bleach on them....what sort if timeframe to clear up.....without bleach.....and with bleach.....but I do not want to be doing it daily....

greggy said:

I can put bleach on them....what sort if timeframe to clear up.....without bleach.....and with bleach.....but I do not want to be doing it daily....

I do think it's ringworm yes.

Redgully said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

Boobs and puzzys.....did you charge them extra or knock a bit off?
Pet rats were another one, they used to pull them out of many varied places of their underwear. The mind boggles imagining where these rodents used to sleep.

Ken

greggy said:

Yes it's ringworm. The Captan is for fungus and won't hurt them in any way

Hi...down here I have not heard of the Captan...will look up its ingredients and see if we have something similar.

What are your thoughts on bleach, or bleach mixed with vinegar ?

greggy said:
Hi...down here I have not heard of the Captan...will look up its ingredients and see if we have something similar.

What are your thoughts on bleach, or bleach mixed with vinegar ?
greggy, may not be a good idea to mix bleach and vinegar. i think it may cause chlorine gas. and don't think you would want it close to their eyes.

It may do something not good...

Will just put on some diluted bleach and see how that does.....tea tree oil applied once did zip from what I can tell.

I can wash all feeders and trough etc too with diluted bleach.