Ringworm help!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just bought 22 black angus heifers and when they were delivered about 6 have ringworm. These animals were temporarily put in a small dairy barn (running loose) until we finish making fence. I know how to treat ringworm in our holsteins but they are tied up. How do I treat ringworm in animals I can't get anywhere next to and who definitely don't trust me at this point?

You can squirt the ringworm with iodine, may help but not really a good solution. The best method is to catch and restrain them and treat them just as you would your Holsteins. Also isolate the ones with it because it will spread to all the others.

dun

Penny":2wlsizlx said:
I just bought 22 black angus heifers and when they were delivered about 6 have ringworm. These animals were temporarily put in a small dairy barn (running loose) until we finish making fence. I know how to treat ringworm in our holsteins but they are tied up. How do I treat ringworm in animals I can't get anywhere next to and who definitely don't trust me at this point?

This is the reason that we suggest that you get your infrastructure established prior to introducing cattle into the equation. It just is common sense that you build the fence before you get the cattle. You will be improving and upgrading your facilities for years and years, but you need the basic necessities in place just to get started. Fencing, some sort of pen, some way to restrain a cow (head gate, squeeze chute, etc,), gates, water, and so on. Dun is right about treating the ringworm with iodine. It won't be very effective unless you scrub away the crust and get the iodine down to the skin. It is an easy condition to control, but you have to be able to catch and hold the animal to do any good. Ring worm will pass from cow to cow and also from cow to human, so use care when treating them. Good luck.

If you have a way to keep them in a small area, try winning there trust with a little sweet feed. That usually dosn't take long.The best thing i've used for ring worm is the best i used on myself for any type of fungus good ole Tinactin. After three or four application and no rain to wash it off good bye ring worm.