Ring Worm?

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have one more question. I've got a young heifer, whom I believe may have aquired ring worm. She is missing a 2" circle of hair on her hind rump, and around her tail head is missing some hair?

7-8 years ago, I had a 4-H steer that aquired this also. I was told is was caused by lack of sunlight.......? Any truth to this?

Wondering what causes it, and whats the best way to get rid of it!? Havent noticed it yet on any of the other cattle. I think it's probably contagious.

Help!

Ryan

Is she an open heifer? I would say bulling is making her bald there. To be missing hair on the tailhead and rump area, and just one heifer with symptoms, that would sound likely. Have they been poured? I would get that done if not.

Hi! It could be ringworm, but check if there are other alopecic areas in other parts of the body. If yes, it's not easy to get rid of it, mostly because being a fungus it is associated with a depressed activity of the immunitary sistem. And wash your hands and arms after contacts with the animal, better with Iodine solutions.

Just rub some strong iodine on the spots. If it is ringworm it will take care of it it if isn't ring worm it won't hurt it.

Yes it is contagious.. and you can get it from your livestock. Besides the Iodine.. I've read some scrub it.. and use bleach. Seems like cold rainy weather always brings it about. Like others have said.. it is a fungus.. pour-ons won't work.. I've seen some fungicides for ringworm.. but they are not approved for cattle.

We bought a bull once that cropped up ringworm about 3 weeks after we bought him. The vet told us to rough up the spot with a wire bristled brush, enough to bleed, then soak in iodine solution. Seems to have worked fine.

It is very contagious! You need to treat it quickly or it will spread thru your herd. Use bleach to clean curry combs brushes halters etc after use, as it can be transfered that way also. In the Jeffers catalog there is a iodine scrub and a pink spray to treat it with and it works well. There is also a fungus fighter from Sullivans but it costs a bunch more than the Jeffers product. It is a fungus and according to our vet it can get into the wood in your barn.
We picked this up at a show and have had quite a battle getting it under control. Good luck.

Latest posts