Ring sour?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hey horseluvers I have got a prob with my pony. Everytime we go into the ring, he turns around to go back to the gate. Once we were cantering and then suddenly he hand galloped toward the gate. As soon as he was there he came to a dead stop. How can I prevent him from doing this?

I would get him cantering and just go right by the gate. He'll probably fight you a little at first but he'll never stop unless you quit letting him go to the gate. Don't let him get away with it. If he tries it, just kick him up and turn him and run right past it. Good luck!

[email protected]

An easier way is to pick the area right inside the gate as the place to work the horse. Sure, he wants to go to the gate . . . so make him work there . . . trot/lope your circles, work the fence, back him up, side pass. He soon will decide that his bad habit of heading for the gate only means he has to work, and he will allow you to begin working him in the entire arena. This is a trick taught to me by an excellent horse trainer and it does work. You do have to be able to ask for and get forward motion from your horse. If you can't do that, ask someone experienced to help you accomplish the forward motion so you can make your horse exercise in that particular spot.

The idea of forcing him to canter on past the gate may work, but you'll be fighting the horse much more than if you just make him do his usual exercises in that spot.

> I would get him cantering and just
> go right by the gate. He'll
> probably fight you a little at
> first but he'll never stop unless
> you quit letting him go to the
> gate. Don't let him get away with
> it. If he tries it, just kick him
> up and turn him and run right past
> it. Good luck!

Latest posts