Right approach?

Help Support CattleToday:

SLaCowboy

Reaction score
How would you do it in my situation? Am I on the right track?

First off I will tell you a little about our operation. Run right at 80 momma cows all Brahman influenced. about 75% brangus 25% braford. We run ultra black bulls and will throw a charlios bull into the mix this breeding season on the braford cows. We start calving around now until march. We wean calves around October.

I have the opportunity to bring home rough rice by the tons. Occasionally a few tons of soybeans along with wheat. This is all available around late July to mid Sept. Wheat usually being in may. Also can get rice bran by the ton for pretty cheap price at times.

This year I stored rough rice in a large stall in a barn. Being it is right out of the field moisture is a factor. I did a pretty good job drying it just using air. No mold but did take a while. This year will be different. As soon as all the grain is out I'm installing a floor out of a old grain bin along with some blowers. Wheat and soybeans are usually harvested in at pretty low moisture so store well in super bags in the barn. I run this grain through a electric wood chipper then a roller. Wood chipper was 120 dollars at harbor freight, chocked down the discharge a little and does a terrific job breaking rice and wheat. Broadcast rye-grass over Bermuda pasture and its ready to graze in January.

This year we fence line weaned calves in October. They had been vaccinated and steers castrated previously. Threw in a few calves I train dogs on to help to teach them about the feed trough. They were then dog broke. They are in about a 15 acre trap with a pecan orchard for shade, Bermuda, and fresh water. They had free choice hay along with 2% of body weight of crushed grain. They have been feed daily and have been started grazing rye grass a few hours a day.

Sold a uniform set of steers in late October avg 550 for pretty decent money. Keep all steers that didn't make cut along with all heifers. My plans are to sell the steers and cull heifers when feed and rye grass plays out. Keep top heifers, breed and sell as bred heifers as comming 2yr olds. Heifers should be ready for sale around time new crop of calves are ready to be weaned.

Does it sound like Im taking the right approach. Free grain = free weight gain. What would you guys do different?

How and when do you feed this free grain? As is...mixed?? Feed any hay?? Where do the soybeans come into play? do you grind them also?? More details please sir.

I feed once daily in troughs. Use five gallon buckets. Weighted one full and that's what I use to determine weight Im feeding. Right now im feeding a 50/50 mix rice and soybeans. Rice is crushed pretty fine and soybeans are rolled. They look like corn flakes. They always have free choice hay in the rings. Guess I need to pull out book from my feed and nutrition class back in college and formulate a good diet.

SLaCowboy":1h8141cz said:
I feed once daily in troughs. Use five gallon buckets. Weighted one full and that's what I use to determine weight Im feeding. Right now im feeding a 50/50 mix rice and soybeans. Rice is crushed pretty fine and soybeans are rolled. They look like corn flakes. They always have free choice hay in the rings. Guess I need to pull out book from my feed and nutrition class back in college and formulate a good diet.
Don't know about pulling out the book but I'd make that about a 3:1 mix of rice/beans. Looks like you're feeding way too much protein.

This is a little old, but doesn't this sound like a lotta input (labor, and feed, maybe not cost) for 550lbs calves. Dont know the quality of your hay but free choice hay through calving and weaning alone, would seem to produce those calves, especially with your breeding. Just seems with your calving season, breeding, and your feed input your should be producing 700lbs calves at sale time. Do you wean those calves every year or not?