Rifle Scope

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
I need a new one. One that will help the old eyes in low light conditions.
I don't wand to sacrifice next years NR hunting licenses to buy one of the most expensive.
What would be the best at a reasonable price?

Nikon or Burris. The low end Leu-polds are good also. Tasco and Simmons seem to be an either or deal. If you get a good one it's an excellent scope or you could get a pice of crap. No way to tell till you get it mounted

I buy allot of scopes. Short of the 1000 dollar European glass the best thing I have have found is Leupold. I'm not sure what your budget is but the Vari X III is around 475.00. The Vari X II is about 300 - 350.00 and the Vari X I is about 230.00. All are great. They also make a Rifleman model for about 199 bucks that can't be beat for that price. Nikon makes pretty good glass. I have several Nikon scopes on lower recoil rifles. You can get into the Buckmaster scope for about 250 and the make a pretty good 199 dollar model as well. I have not found a Tasco that will hold up or a lower end Bushnell that I would give .50 for. The older Redfields and Weavers were pretty good but hard to find anymore. I had an old Redfield Tracker that I loved. Burris makes good glass in their upper end models. Good luck on your decision. If you are looking for good light transmission go with the Leupold.

For low light conditions, a larger lense is beter. they will gather more existing light than the smaller ones. You still need a quality scope, leupold, burris, ect.I have a 4 power Jana on one of my 10-22s that takes only a little moonlight or a few bright stars and I can see verry well with it. The only problem is, I cant find another one. It is one of the best scopes that I have found. It was bought some years back, and I would like to have a half dozen of them, Mabye dun has heard of them. Any way, good luck, and let us know what you pick.
Mac

mnmtranching":6szyzg7i said:
I need a new one. One that will help the old eyes in low light conditions.
I don't wand to sacrifice next years NR hunting licenses to buy one of the most expensive.
What would be the best at a reasonable price?

mnm I have a Leupold vari 3 3.5x10x50 it is the best scope i have every had i also looked at a Nikon with the BDC redical in it i think it was a prostaff scope3x9x40 i t was realy clear.I need one for my 270 i think i am going to go with the Nikon it was around $200 buck's.

rattler

You probably want to consider the Leupold VX III in 4.5-14, with the 30mm tube. It will gather a lot of light and you can get it with about any reticle you like.

Not cheap but for the money about the best out there for light gathering. I am about thru with Burris anymore their customer service is pretty poor.

On the other hand if you want a great scope cheap call Neil at Cameraland @ 866-9OPTICS and ask him about one of these. I just bought one last week and it is as bright a scope as I have seen. they bought a bunch from Pentax and are selling them very reasonable. If you order one make sure and insist that it is one of the NEW ones andnot a rebuild. They sent me a rebuild by mistake but replaced it immediatly.

Pentax Pioneer 4.5-14x42
Part# 89620 & 89621
Matte Black (P) & Matte Black (BP)
** Select Below **

Pentax Pioneer rifle scopes give hunters superior quality at an affordable price. Offered in the most popular magnification ranges, the Pioneer scopes offer durable one piece tube construction, fully multi-coated optics, and are fully sealed to make them water proof even in the most extreme weather conditions. All this is offered at the price that make the Pioneer scopes available to anyone.

Price: $159.99
Matte Black (P)
Matte (P) Pioneer 4.5-14x42
Price: $159.99
Matte Black (BP)
Matte (BP) Pioneer 4.5-14x42

The Pentax "Worry Free" Warranty

Pentax Sport Optic products are of the highest optical and mechanical quality. If your Pentax Binocular, Spotting Scope or Riflescope purchased in the USA from an authorized Pentax Sport Optics dealer requires repair, Pentax will repair or replace it to the original purchaser (even if damaged by fault) for a charge of $19.95, to cover handling and return shipping.* This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, theft or loss. (Replacement may be with comparable model at Pentax's discretion if the original model is no longer available.)
* Applies only to unmodified equipment or product with modifications performed by authorized Pentax repair personnel.

Suggested Accessories:
* MicroClean Cleaning Cloth
* OpticClean Cleaning Fluid
* MicroClean Deluxe Lens Pen

3waycross":2vrjno7y said:
I am about thru with Burris anymore their customer service is pretty poor.
That's sad tp here. When I was dealing in scopes the only company that had as good of cutomer service as Burris was Leupold but they took a month longer for service the Burris did.

I have a leup on one rifle that has the illuminated crosshairs. I think its a 40 or 50 mm. It gives me an extra 2 hours of hunting time if I needed it. I like it a lot. I once scoped some black cows in the field at dark. Could not see them with the naked eye but I sure could see them well with this scope and the lighted crosshairs made a lot of things possible.

Hey Fellas, I am curious, is there a web site that serves as a "Blue Book" for rifles and shotguns.
Tom.

I use mainly Simmons scopes on all my rifles, except have an old weaver on one of my .22's. Simmons 3-10x44 Mag is what I have on my 270 bolt action. Been knocked around quite a bit, and after 5 years, still right on target every single year when I check the sighting.

dun":23n1q5d9 said:
kerley":23n1q5d9 said:
Hey Fellas, I am curious, is there a web site that serves as a "Blue Book" for rifles and shotguns.
Tom.
It's not free but it's the bible of gun collecting

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Firearms/Default.aspx

This is definately a real good GUIDE but not the defnative answer for all parts of the country on every gun. There are definately innacuracies in the the blue book and they can cost you money both buying and selling. The gunbroker site is a pretty darned good indicator of current market value on most firearms. Not saying Dun is wrong but the blue book is not free and most of the gun selling site are.

Burris Burris Burris. I have several and have been so pleased with them. They take alot of abuse and are reliable. My main shooter girl wears a Black Diamond 4-16x50 with the 30mm tube. WOW talk about a light transmitter. I have felt my eyes deteriorate over the last few years and this scope really helps me out with low light conditions. I really like the reticle focus, posi-lock, and man oh man the parallax adjustment. I bet you could shoot thru it at night...not that I would do it! I won't knock other brands (because I have owned them all) but will say that Burris is my honest favorite.

Oh by the way if you want to save money go to http://www.opticsplanet.com. Great deals with alot of options on all brands.

I had a hunch that I would get good informative information from you guys. Thank You.
I do some Yote calling and would like to be able to pick them out in the low light. I now use a cheap 3X9 Bushnell, as you know it doesn't do the job. So often I can see them pretty well with the binocks, then through the scope can't get a bead.

mnmtranching":przbyk8w said:
I had a hunch that I would get good informative information from you guys. Thank You.
I do some Yote calling and would like to be able to pick them out in the low light. I now use a cheap 3X9 Bushnell, as you know it doesn't do the job. So often I can see them pretty well with the binocks, then through the scope can't get a bead.

Just make sure the lenses are "fully multicoated" and most any scope will gather more light

Latest posts