Rifle for deer

Help Support CattleToday:

Remington Model 700. Can't beat it in my opinion. Depending where I'm hunting I normally use a 270 or a 7-08. But all around I don't think you can beat the 30-06 or 270. You can take these near about anywhere hunting.

Whichever one I decide to use on a particular day. Contender pistol probably gets more use then any of the rifles.

dun":3015br6q said:
Whichever one I decide to use on a particular day. Contender pistol probably gets more use then any of the rifles.

dun i wish i was good enough with a pistol to deer hunt with it one but im not so im an restricted to a long gun.

joe i like both of your choices.

rattler

i shoot a thompson center 7-08. i like it. dropped one at 300 yards. i was happy. doesnt have too bad of a kick either IMO. my dad wants me to try his 30-06 this year. im sure i can handle it, i just dont think i need it.

cattleluvr18":3pt1j03p said:
i shoot a thompson center 7-08. i like it. dropped one at 300 yards. i was happy. doesnt have too bad of a kick either IMO. my dad wants me to try his 30-06 this year. im sure i can handle it, i just dont think i need it.

The 7-08 is a fantasitc round. Very little kick and good accuracy and knockdown out to about 300 yards. Don't know if I'd want to go out west with one but it will kill about anything I can shoot at around here.

What brand bullet do you find is more accurate in your rifle cattleluvr18? Federal ballistic tips are what I like. Tried some Hornady but they weren't tight grouped.

joe i load my own bullet's and i use the ballistic tip or Accubond in all my gun's but one.Have you every checked the weight on different brand's bullets they do tend to vary a bit.I have also checked the lenth of different brand's they vary too.

rattler

My favorite deer rifle for deer is the same as my favorite deer rifle for pronghorn, it is a mod. 700 in .270 and a 6X leopold dot. I have to go with Dun though, the contender with a 14" 30/30 topped with a 4X goldring gets a lot of use.
Good luck on your next hunt, whatever you shoot with,
D.R.

Rattler, if you weigh bullets out of the same box you will find out that they vary. I had to weigh every one when shooting competition.
Good luck,
D.R.

Dusty Roads":vvd8ccq7 said:
Rattler, if you weigh bullets out of the same box you will find out that they vary. I had to weigh every one when shooting competition.
Good luck,
D.R.

DR I have done this and i agree with you they do vary.I have had better luck with nosler then any other.I have shot nosler for the last 20 years they just work for me.

rattler

rattler":3r3p1dyx said:
joe i load my own bullet's and i use the ballistic tip or Accubond in all my gun's but one.Have you every checked the weight on different brand's bullets they do tend to vary a bit.I have also checked the lenth of different brand's they vary too.

rattler

Didn't check the weights on those Hornady's. Just sighted the rifle in with them when I couldn't get my regular brand. Couldn't get a group to save my life. Finally went back to my usual and resighted and everything went back tight. I guess that rifle just didn't like those bullets or something.

I've bought 5 Model 700s over the years, .270s for the wife & daughter, 30-06s for the boys and one 243 that is for grandkids or anyone needing a light kicking gun. I love the Model 700 but I use a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 featherweight, 308 cal. that I've had for ~25 years. Just can't stop using what keeps working for me.

Good luck to all during the gun season, I hope to get home by then put the old gun back to work again.
;-)

Winchester 270 WSM with 140gr Swift A-frame bullets, for Antelope and Mule deer. Savage 300 WSM with 165gr Accubonds for Elk. I also use a Ruger 280 Ackley for both when the kids steal my favorite rifles.

I am a self-professed model 700 fanatic. I own several in different calibers and some in the same caliber. I find a decent deal on one and I am a sucker for it.....sort of like I am with lab pups. My favorite is an early 700 in 6mm Remington. It belonged to my grandfather and it has been the demise of probably 150 deer over the years. I actually have 3 model 700's chambered for the 6mm Rem. cartridge. I have one in the varminter model and an early 80's BDL. I do not believe a better out-of-the-box rifle can be found (just my opinion). The bottom line is that they go BANG, are very accurate and stuff falls dead. They are a true classic design that has stood the test of time and stood up to many adventures over the years. Now if I can just find another 6mm Remington.......

HOSS":mv2wzaor said:
I am a self-professed model 700 fanatic. I own several in different calibers and some in the same caliber. I find a decent deal on one and I am a sucker for it.....sort of like I am with lab pups. My favorite is an early 700 in 6mm Remington. It belonged to my grandfather and it has been the demise of probably 150 deer over the years. I actually have 3 model 700's chambered for the 6mm Rem. cartridge. I have one in the varminter model and an early 80's BDL. I do not believe a better out-of-the-box rifle can be found (just my opinion). The bottom line is that they go BANG, are very accurate and stuff falls dead. They are a true classic design that has stood the test of time and stood up to many adventures over the years. Now if I can just find another 6mm Remington.......

Good post HOSS

rattler

rattler":31jkskxo said:

rattler

Was shooting an NBRSA match in Johnson City, Tn a few years back and we were in the 100 yard light varmint match.

Anyway, I was shooting 62 grain Knight bullets and at the loading bench, in a hurry to get mt bullets loaded, when the bullet maker walked over and asked which of his bullets was I shooting. I answered "62's", then he laughed and dropped a handfull of bullets in the can where mine where.

After the next relay he came over and asked if I had shot a pretty good group, I responded with about a .200" and I asked why?

He informed me that he had dropped some 68's in my can and that they should shoot exactly the same as the 62's.

They dang sure did...............................

Bullet drop is an element of time......not weight...

Rem model 700 in .270 with 150 grain Accubonds topped with a 4-16x50 Burris Black diamond. She and I are one heck of a team I tell ya. Her name is Ve Ve ... a.k.a. Venison Vengeance.

Remington put out this new Model 710 and have heard baaad things about em. They say they sank low to produce a cheap rifle. Their mod 700 now is the SPS. I hear its the old frame and a good continuation of the old.

Just can't beat a 700 in my opinion.

IMHO - The 700 cannot be beat for an "Off-The-Shelf" gun.

If you guys think you like the 700, if you ever get the chance shoot a Rem. "40X". Same gun with many inprovements.
THE Remington 700
Guns Magazine, Annual, 2001 by Clair Rees
After 38 years this classic bolt action is still America's favorite rifle.

I can't remember when I acquired my first Model 700 Remington, but it was many years ago. I've used many of these ubiquitous rifles over the years, and my current collection includes four M700s in various configurations, along with the same number of compact Model Seven carbines.

When the Remington Model 700 first appeared 38 years ago, it was an instant hit with American shooters. Since that time, more than 3 1/2 million Model 700s have been manufactured and sold. That makes it America's, really the world's, best-selling centerfire sporting rifle. Talk about success stories!

While the number of Remington 700s made is huge, it's not the whole story. Introduced in 1962, the Model 700 was basically an improved, better-looking version of the Model 721 and 722 rifles developed by Mike Walker and his engineering staff right after World War II. The main difference between the Model 721 and Model 722 was action length. The Model 721 digested full-sized cartridges like the .30-'06 and .300 H&H Mag. The short-action Model 722 accommodated stubbier rounds like the .257 Roberts and .300 Savage loads it originally chambered.

First offered in 1948, Remington's Model 721 and 722 rifles quickly won a reputation for rugged reliability. The rifles also produced accuracy unmatched by competing mass-produced hunting rifles. Minute-of-angle groups were far from common then, and that's what .222 Rem. Model 722 rifles often delivered. Selling for less than $100, the new rifles were also highly affordable.

Admittedly, there were tradeoffs. While Model 721/722 rifles were accurate, reliable and attractively priced, aesthetics suffered. Stocks bordered on downright homely and the stamped trigger guard didn't improve the rifle's appearance. The Winchester Model 70 was more expensive, but boasted greater visual appeal.

In spite of its plain exterior, the Model 721/722 sold well. Still, the Model 721, Model 722 and the Model 725, an entirely different design introduced in 1957, were all discontinued in 1961. The Model 700 was unveiled the following year.

Enter the 700

With only a few minor changes, the new Model 700 employed the same basic design used in Remington's Model 721/722 rifles. There were some mechanical improvements, but the big differences were cosmetic. The new rifle had a more streamlined tang and a considerably more graceful trigger guard. Instead of projecting straight down from the base of the bolt, the new bolt handle featured a rakish, swept-back configuration. The bolt knob was given an oval shape and checkered top and bottom. Equally important, the Model 700's stock was better designed, better finished and much more pleasing to the eye.

Today, the Model 700 is famed for its excellent trigger. Letoff is typically crisp and sharp, while lock time (the time elapsed from trigger break to cartridge ignition) is the fastest in the industry. This significantly aids long-range accuracy.

Compared to the classic Mauser bolt, the Model 700 bolt is elegantly simple. It consists of a clean, straight tube uncluttered by guides or rotating extractor assemblies. The face of the bolt is recessed to fully enclose the cartridge head. A spring-loaded plunger kicks empties clear on the bolt's rearward journey. Twin front lugs provide lockup, assisted by the root of the bolt handle when the rifle is in battery. When engaged, the two-position safety locks the trigger, but allows cycling the bolt to clear the chamber.

The 700 Battery

Today, Remington offers more than two dozen versions of the Model 700, not counting Custom Shop variations. Both right- and left-handed bolts are available, along with a variety of different stocks. Standard chamberings range from the diminutive .17 Rem to the big, belted .338 Rem. Ultra and .375 Holland & Holland Magnums, a total of 22 cartridges in all. Custom Shop Model 700 Safari Rifles extend those offerings to include the .416 Rem. And .458 Win. Mag. rounds.

The first bull-barreled Model 700 Varmint Special was introduced in 1967. It remains in the lineup now with a Kevlar-reinforced stock as the Model 700 VS. Other Reining ton varmint rifles include the Model 700 VS SF (Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted) which I've owned and used for several years. This top of-the-line varminter is extremely accurate. With the .223 ammo it likes, it's capable of punching 1/4" one-hole groups at 100 yards. I don't know how many prairie dogs this rifle has counted coup on, but it's proven deadly at ranges sometimes exceeding 400 yards.

Other varmint versions include the Model 700 VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) and the Model 700 VS Composite introduced in 1999. This rifle features a 26" stainless-steel barrel liner encompassed by multiple wrappings of epoxy-hardened carbon fiber. The high-tech tube weighs less than all-steel bull barrels, offers similar rigidity and dissipates heat extremely fast. The Model 700 VS Composite sells well in spite of its rarifled $1,900 price tag.

The Limited Edition Model 700 Classic Rifle came along in 1981, launching a Remington tradition. That first Classic Rifle was chambered for the 7x57mm Mauser and there's been a new cartridge featured every subsequent year. In 2000, the Classic digests .223 Rem. loads, and yes, the rifle wears a classic stock.

Other milestones include the 1987 introduction of the Model 700 RS, which was offered in your choice of a camouflaged or gray synthetic Rynite stock. Two years later, Rynite was replaced by a lighter fiberglass further into synthetic stocks with stock. In 1992, the company moved new fiberglass-reinforced and Kevlar-graphite handles.

Also in 1992, Remington unveiled the Model 700 Camo Synthetic. This rifle featured a full-camouflage covering, applied via the wet-film process. I immediately acquired one in .30-'06 chambering. It's one of the Model 700s I still have in my safe. It's a good thing I acted quickly. The M700 Camo Synthetic didn't sell well and was soon discontinued.

Intended for deer-sized and larger game at extended range, the Model 700 Sendero appeared in 1994. The Sendero features a 26" varmint barrel (of either carbon or fluted stainless steel) in a Kevlar-reinforced stock fitted with a full-length aluminum bedding block. Sendero rifles are offered in .25-06, .270, 7mm Rem. Mag., 7mm STW, .300 Win. Mag., .300 Wthby., .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. and .338 Rem. Ultra Mag. chamberings.

The 700 Revolution

Introduced in 2000, the Model 700 EtronX represents a real departure from tradition. The new electronic rifle takes lock time to a whole different level. Its revolutionary -- I don't use the term lightly -- design features a wholly non-mechanical ignition system. Except for the trigger, there are no moving parts. Instead of releasing a mechanical sear to set the firing pin in motion, pressing the trigger activates an electronic microswitch. This completes a circuit, sending an electric charge to instantaneously ignite the ammo's special EtronX primer.

Combined with the ultra-short lock time, which virtually eliminates barrel movement after the trigger is pulled, the electronic trigger gives Model 700 EtronX rifles unheard of accuracy potential. The EtronX trigger has 36 percent less travel than standard Model 700 triggers and features a very crisp letoff. Triggers are currently factory set to release at 3 1/2 lbs., but there's no practical reason pull weight couldn't be safely reduced to a mere handful of ounces. A 6 or 8 oz. trigger would be a varmint-hunter's dream.

The Model 700 EtronX rifle is currently chambered for .22-250 Rem., .220 Swift and .243 Win, cartridges, which are available factory-loaded from Remington. Except for their EtronX primers, the cartridges are identical to standard factory loads. EtronX primers are available as components, allowing handloaders to roll their own, using the same data employed for their favorite loads.

Incidentally, the EtronX rifle offers a unique safety system. While the two-position manual safety remains in its familiar location at the right rear of the tang, it doesn't mechanically lock the trigger. Instead, it prevents firing by blocking the electronic circuit. There's also a key-operated switch at the base of the pistol grip. Unless this switch is in the "on" position, the rifle can't be fired.

Latest posts