Rice straw

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Reaction score
How many of yall ever bailed or fed rice straw. I just bought a few bales the other day and going to feed some this winter. The farmer I got it from said with all the fertilizer they use today on the crop it's not as poor as it used to be. He said it tested at 12%. So for $15 a 6x5 bale I'm going to try a few.

we bought some rice straw an grass mix hay years ago.an fed it to our milking an dry cows when we had the dairy.an they ate it real good.i know it was colder than a son of a gun when we was loading an hauling it.we even had to take our hay forks to load it.

Well if it seems to work out I'll probably go that route next year. Alot of farmers burn their fields after cutting anyway. So if you ask them to turn off the spreaders on the back of the combine the staw falls in a neat row, drys good cause it's on top of a foot of stubble, and all you have to pay for is someone to roll it. No cutting or raking. I know a few years ago when Texas had that bad drought, they were bailing just about every rice field around here and shipping over there.

Latest posts