Ribs

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Tell me how to cook ribs so that they won't be like shoe leather. I haven't ever hooked onto anything that works with consistency. I know the meat has something to do with it, but I suspect that the majority of the fault lies with the cook.

I do believe we can help you with this, but first of all, let's decide how you want to cook them.

BBQ style (smoked) - slowest method

Oven cooked - lots faster

Boiled - fast

Decide that and we'll cook some ribs. :nod:

BBQ. Slow cook method. Beef. I have actually put short ribs in the crock pot and had good luck with them. But you know the mens. Gotta cook outdoors like the great white hunter.

For BBQ, you must slow cook. You want a temperature of 225 - 250 degrees and 8 - 10 hours to cook them.

Most BBQ is tough because of a temperature that is too high and too short a cooking time. The low heat and slow cooking will give the meat that pink look that good bbq is famous for. You want for them to cook for at least 8 hours, but don't let them overcook and dry out. Put them on the smoker at breakfast and have them for supper.

I can't see cooking ribs that long. I did some the other day that came out real good. They were in the smoker at +/- 250 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. I usually throw some on the smoker when I do a brisket, just to have something to keep me going through the day.

grannysoo":ak7l0fbm said:
I'm cooking on the low side of 225 when cooking. It takes a couple of hours for the smoker to even warm up good...

I build a good hot fire and get it up to around 400 and keep it at least that hot til the wood starts burning down good then open it up to allowit to cool down some and cut back the flow of air and try to maintain betwen 200-225.

TexasBred":295s4mkt said:
I build a good hot fire and get it up to around 400 and keep it at least that hot til the wood starts burning down good then open it up to allowit to cool down some and cut back the flow of air and try to maintain betwen 200-225.

Exactly. Also, I wrap them in foil after they have had enough smoke.

A water pan in the smoker keeps the moisture in there as well. Any kind of smoker. When you get down in the 225 range, you don't put out as much water. Throw some chopped onion, garlic, and peppers in the water pan and you'll tantalize the folks smelling it.

Also, when you are at the 225 range, keep the lid shut. Everyone wants to open the lid and look. Don't let them. Just keep your eye on the temp.

Okay, so keep going... What about sauce? Anyone willing to part with a secret recipe?

Lammie":206b5tnn said:
Okay, so keep going... What about sauce? Anyone willing to part with a secret recipe?

This one has been offered up before so I'll share it again.

The Recipe is just the sauce. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE BUTTER

Ingredients:
3 ea. 8 oz cans tomato sauce
10 oz of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 lb butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tbl spoon vinegar
2 tbl spoon lemon juice
1/8 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned pepper

Directions:
Combine ingredients in any order in medium size pot. Use sufficient heat to melt butter and brown sugar while stirring to mix ingedients well. After things are mixed allow it to simmer for 30 minutes. The longer you let it simmer, the better. 30 minutes is about the minimum. You can add a bit more brown sugar or honey at any point if you like it a bit sweeter.

Number Of Servings:enough sauce for two large briskets.

Preparation Time:45 minutes but I simmer it for hours stirring occasionally.

For spare ribs I use the 3-2-1 method. For baby backs (when I can get on sale) I use the 2-1-1.

3-2-1 smoke at 225 for 3 hours open on the rack with a good dry rub no sauce. Then wrap in foil for two hours and put at least a 1/2 inch of apple juice in the foil making a tray to keep the juice in. Then one more hour out of the foil back on the rack to firm up. If the temps get too high go to 2-1-1.

Always apply your favorite sauce after cooking with a good rub. I use a Memphis style rub.

grannysoo":3dlkhql4 said:
backhoeboogie":3dlkhql4 said:
1/2 tsp seasoned pepper

Seasoned pepper?

I have seasoned salt, but what is seasoned pepper?

Sounds like something that I need to add to my kitchen! :clap:

Good season pepper will clear the head.

You can add honey to that sauce, to make quick baked beans. Just get the Van Camps pork & beans and wash them completely in a colander. Put them in a pot with about a cup of the sauce and honey. Sweeten to taste with the honey.

Lammie":3g5oqxvs said:

Just use your regular brand...full flavor, lite, or whatever you prefer.... :lol: :lol: None on the ribs.

Latest posts