Ribeye area

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
As we look at trying to balance diets for animals it seems that we have forgotten to do the same for our families. Have we gone to far in trying to increase ribeye size in our cattle? I personally would rather have a thicker steak than a thin one. I just don't need over a 8 - 10 oz steak for me to maintain myself, let alone a 22 oz monster anymore. I know there are different cuts but if I want a ribeye that is over an inch thick it is getting hard to find one close to 16 oz let alone even 12oz. As we worry about obesity in our population we need to think of a healthy balance from all sectors of the food pyramid. What do others think?

Jeff

It might be a snack but it is really more than a person needs to live. We not only balance rations for our cattle but we do it a cheap as possible too. Something to think about in the big picture. As a person gets older you can survive on less. I just am thinking out side the box a little would we be better of selling many more smaller steaks to more people or continue to do the staus quo?

I think the solution to your problem would be to rather butcher at a younger age than try and breed muscle away. I agree with you that I also prefer a thick steak over a big small one.

Your dilemma is exactly what started the pony era after the depression in the 1930's.

I have one of the processors I work with who is particularly good with putting together string-tied "Rolled Roasts".

My family and customers who have had them love them. We have used a couple for Holiday meals or when family comes over. These are starting to replace what used to be turkey meals. The only problem usually is that we run out! I would like them larger or we have to cook two.

Aren't these mostly made from the rib eye? If so I would vote for the biggest darn ribeye area I could find. These are usually marbled fairly well but almost zero trim fat the way he makes them.

I agree with Knersie about harvesting the steers a bit younger and smaller. I am going to be doing that too.

But if you are finding the ribeye area too big for steaks, I would suggest you get them processed as "Rolled (Rib) Roasts". Cook it with an internal thermometer to a center temperature of about 158-160 degrees F while basting it with some butter and it will squash any thoughts of every being a vegetarian! jmho.

Jim

I guess I should have stated this as a industry question not my own personal butcher practices. At home it is simple one thick steak feeds two people. I just wonder about actually selling more beef around the world if it would make a difference. I never said I was right was just something that I have been thinking about for a day or two so I was looking for some discussion on it. I realize we produce more tonnage today with alot fewer cattle today than we did even 15 - 20 years ago. I hope we are producing what the customer wants and not what the packer wants.

I hope we are producing what the customer wants and not what the packer wants.

I'm sure you already know the answer to that. The problem is the packer is also our customer and we have to keep him and the feedlot guy happy as well. The problem is that everone's margins are so low that you can't really blame any link in the chain for trying to up his profit. If everyone's focus could just shift to the end consumer the industry would be healthier overall in my opinion.

We look at REA like this. PAR REA size is the "yard stick" we use, not maximizing REA size. If a steer/heifer is harvested with PAR REA size, then we have done our job perfectly. Anything larger than PAR is a luxury and not necessary. Anything less than PAR is unacceptable and needs improvement.

For those that don't know, PAR REA is the amount of REA required for a specific size of hot carcass weight (HCW).

As a side note, the owner of a very large local steakhouse told a group of cattlemen here a few years ago that he want a 10" ribeye for his business. It was best for cutting to a presentable and cookable thickness.

Ribeye is one of the 4 measurements for calculating yield grade on a beef carcass. The measurements used for calculating yield grade are; hot carcas weight, back fat, %KPH (kidney, pelvic & heart fat) and ribeye.

Unfortunately the industry misunderstands/mis-states "muscling" a lot in the marketing of cattle. "Muscling" is not defined by visual width of rump, or even measured width of rump for that matter.

Yield grade is a numerical number that represents the percent of boneless, closely trimmed retail cuts from the high-value parts of the carcass - the round, loin, rib and chuck. (The important part to the retailers!) Somewhere along the beef supply chain, someone is recognizing the monetary value of the carcass muscling and it is based on the cutability as measured via yield grade.

THUS, ribeye as a measurement is VERY IMPORTANT. It is one of the truely measurable, economically relevant traits.

buymorebulls said:
We look at REA like this. PAR REA size is the "yard stick" we use, not maximizing REA size. If a steer/heifer is harvested with PAR REA size, then we have done our job perfectly. Anything larger than PAR is a luxury and not necessary. Anything less than PAR is unacceptable and needs improvement.
Unfortunately the industry misunderstands/mis-states "muscling" a lot in the marketing of cattle. "Muscling" is not defined by visual width of rump, or even measured width of rump for that matter.

Yield grade is a numerical number that represents the percent of boneless, closely trimmed retail cuts from the high-value parts of the carcass - the round, loin, rib and chuck. (The important part to the retailers!) Somewhere along the beef supply chain, someone is recognizing the monetary value of the carcass muscling and it is based on the cutability as measured via yield grade."

end or buymorebulls qoute

What has not been said yet is the industry gives very little additional money for a yeild grade of 1 and 2, however they will discount any 4 or 5's.

GRTiger85":kz0w8a8m said:
8 oz. steak sounds like a snack
And a dam skimpy snack at that. Maybe more exercise would be in order to help with the overweight issues.
I;m old enough that my meat consumption has decreased but so has my consumption of everything else except cigerattes. A 16oz steak is just about right now. I'm still as thin as I was at 25, 5'9" and 155-160 lbs. Alwasy heavier in spring (160) but shed the extra 5 pounds in a month or 2 of being able to get out and do some actual work.
BTW I still drink several 2 liter bottles of regualr coke everyday. Not the healthiest diet but a little work/exercise seems to take care of the fat issues.
Life style has as much or more bearing on weight as diet

Sounds like you're one of those "hard keepers" Dun. Maybe we should send you to the Aleutians and see how everyone's theories play out. :D

I'll go too as a control. Could gain weight on air and sawdust.

If you want a small Rib Eye I guess you could raise one of those major breeds that will produce a smaller REA.

dun":2xw5hmkz said:
GRTiger85":2xw5hmkz said:
8 oz. steak sounds like a snack
And a dam skimpy snack at that. Maybe more exercise would be in order to help with the overweight issues.
I;m old enough that my meat consumption has decreased but so has my consumption of everything else except cigerattes. A 16oz steak is just about right now. I'm still as thin as I was at 25, 5'9" and 155-160 lbs. Alwasy heavier in spring (160) but shed the extra 5 pounds in a month or 2 of being able to get out and do some actual work.
BTW I still drink several 2 liter bottles of regualr coke everyday. Not the healthiest diet but a little work/exercise seems to take care of the fat issues.
Life style has as much or more bearing on weight as diet

HMMMMMMMMM the cigarette and Coke diet, sounds like someone else that hangs around here, and has much the same disposition. Makes me wonder if it's not the diet after all. ;-)

Jovid":fd2sa054 said:
If you want a small Rib Eye I guess you could raise one of those major breeds that will produce a smaller REA.

Or just get the 8-10 oz.filet mignon....more tender, tastier, thick cut and all lean :mrgreen:

deenranch":n7q1qedp said:

Try raising mini herefords or something of that sort....
Or Dexters. They can be bought a whole lot chepaer then miniHerefords