Rhino or Howse bush hog which is better ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
I`ve been looking for a reasonably priced 10-12 ft. bush hog just for pasture clipping . I found a couple one is a Rhino the other is a Howse both are in similar condition and priced about the same. I`d rather have a Bush Hog brand but can`t see spending that much on one for limited use. Which one would be the better brand between the 2 ?

Depending on how old the Rhino is it will be hard to get some parts for and expensive. The Howse was always a cheaper hog. But the gear boxes were pretty tough.

I have an old 4' Howse, that saw a lot of hard use cutting down gum, tallow and pine saplings.. Deck tore and rusted all to heck but gearbox stayed together. Been meaning to replace the deck and make a finish mower out of it but haven't found my 'round toit'.
Have a 6' Rhino, bought before Modern bought out Rhino.
Have a Modern 6' a little newer than the Rhino.

Rhino beats the others hands down.

I wondered about parts for either one of them. I know the Rhino is pretty old.

Hard to say on the bigger ones.
When I worked for the Kubota dealership, there was no shortage of aftermarket parts for just about any brand. Drivelines, gearboxes, hydraulics..usually as cheap or cheaper than the OEM parts.

my old neighbors had some rhinos.

one had a older 2515? 15' batwing.. it was really nice older unit..

other had a brand new 12' one. if he could get it to push something over.. he'd cut it. so his stuff is pretty abused. its been working out good.

tough as nails.

We have used and abused a 15ft batwing rhino for probably 10 years or more. It has held up pretty good all things considered. I went over a field that was probably 3 to 4 years fallow with oaks and hickory trees all over it this winter. It held together.

Howse is a good machine but not in the same class as a Rhino. Especially the heavy series ones. Parts are easy to get for a Rhino. Both would serve you well but the Rhino is the better hog.

Well after looking at worn out junk bush hogs for about a month I gave up. I found a John Deere MX8 that was only 6 months old at a considerable discount over a new one and I don`t think it was ever used. I hope it turns out ok at least I still have a little over 4 yrs warranty on the gear boxes.

jd720":32dbzzx6 said:
Well after looking at worn out junk bush hogs for about a month I gave up. I found a John Deere MX8 that was only 6 months old at a considerable discount over a new one and I don`t think it was ever used. I hope it turns out ok at least I still have a little over 4 yrs warranty on the gear boxes.
Smart move

Latest posts