RFI

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know that I trust that guy too much, his math skills are aweful! :lol2:

Now this is interesting stuff, because we hear a lot of peoples opinions on the subject, but no hard facts to back it. And this is at least a first try to take it seriously and try to test it instead of just guessing. And thanks for showing us, as at least I would never have found it otherwise.

ANAZAZI":8hu5mowq said:
Now this is interesting stuff, because we hear a lot of peoples opinions on the subject, but no hard facts to back it. And this is at least a first try to take it seriously and try to test it instead of just guessing. And thanks for showing us, as at least I would never have found it otherwise.
that's why i bumped it, back up.

I had hoped to see more interest in this topic too, but it is pretty new to most people.

I have had a couple years worth of RFI testing on my bull crop and I would have to agree with RSL. Selecting for RFI isn't any different than single trait selecting for any trait.

This past year, a group of us put together about 100 Hereford and Angus bulls and fed a high roughage ration desinged to gain about 2.75lbs per day. Mostly was haylage, corn, straw and supplement pellets.

The 2nd high gaining bull of mine gained 3.91 lbs per day but he ate 36.65 lbs of feed per day to do it and ranked near the bottom on RFI. Another bull of mine ate 21.96 lbs per day but still gained 3.27 lbs per day to rank right at the top for RFI. Another bull ate 35 lbs per day but only gained 2.77 lbs per day. Some of the poorest gaining bulls ranked fairly high for RFI, but many of the top gaining bulls ranked toward the bottom half.

Its appearing to me that picking these super high gaining bulls out of the bull tests may actually be picking just a bunch of big pigs that eat a lot.It sure looks like with proper selection reducing feed costs by 25% with no change in performance is possible.

Brian

northtexas":66w8xvnl said:
>>Its appearing to me that picking these super high gaining bulls out of the bull tests may actually be picking just a bunch of big pigs that eat a lot.It sure looks like with proper selection reducing feed costs by 25% with no change in performance is possible.<<

In a perfect world this is great. But feeders get paid to FEED cattle. They want high gainers and they are actually making money on the feed so actually efficiency hurts the feeder.

When you retain ownership you pay the feeder yardage, feed (at a markup) and vet (meds and chute fees). You have to trust the feedyard will truthfully bill your pen for feed and not use some sort of yard average or alley average.

First of all if you don't trust the feedyard to bill you the accurate bill, I wouldn't be doing business with them. Second even if the feeder gets paid to feed cattle I will assure you that the owner of them would be glad to have his costs reduced. Besides no feedlot will stay in business if his customers can't make money feeding cattle.

I won't mention the reduced cost of maintaining the cowherd either.

Brian

I am glad that this topic has gotten some discussion. It is always interesting to see how people will use these tools on their operations.

I wanted to let everyone know that there are two more videos that accompany the first one. We had to break it up because we could put that long of a video on YouTube. Below is part two and three
[youtube]yYXMb0DQYJk[/youtube]

[youtube]XsOQK7X4H5s[/youtube]

You tube is blocked on this computer, somebody want to give me a 10 cent version of what its about?

northtexas":31e5klsx said:
>>Its appearing to me that picking these super high gaining bulls out of the bull tests may actually be picking just a bunch of big pigs that eat a lot.It sure looks like with proper selection reducing feed costs by 25% with no change in performance is possible.<<

In a perfect world this is great. But feeders get paid to FEED cattle. They want high gainers and they are actually making money on the feed so actually efficiency hurts the feeder.

When you retain ownership you pay the feeder yardage, feed (at a markup) and vet (meds and chute fees). You have to trust the feedyard will truthfully bill your pen for feed and not use some sort of yard average or alley average.

Most feed yards own a large percentage of the cattle they are feeding, they want efficient cattle.

If a feed yard is resorting to milking their customers feed bills, they probably won't last long.

Latest posts