• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CowCop

Reaction score
HI All,

In watching the spectacular cattle auction on the RFD channel, I am usually baffled by some of the auction language.

I quickly jotted some phrases down this afternoon
Can you explain the following:

4 cent slide

weigh em on the ground ( as opposed to weighing on the truck ? )

5 back

PRECON--I assume it means preconditioned--but what exactly does it consist of ?

10 to the store ( I think they meant 10 miles to the feedyard or slaughter facility--just a guess--but what is the sifnificance of this info?

There are a bunch of others, but I wasn't fast enough--
so if you can list the other expressions, and explain them, I would appreciate it. I hate being in the dark~!

From what I saw today
700-735 lb heifers were bringing $98-102/100 wt
ALOT of Charolais~!! RED cows were the 2nd most popular and then Blk Angus
Heifers with "ear" brought alittle less, even if they were black.

Just wondering if these prices reflect the prices in your area/salebarn.

Heifers are about $70 /100wt right now in this area.

Also, The auctioneer went on and on about a group of wonderful Braunveigh sired heifers . Also wondering if anyone on this list has this breed.
The Braunveigh group brought $99, even though they were certified natural.

I know what ya mean, Cowcop. I think alot of what those auctioneers say is fillin in space. I heard one say of a herd of steers, that they were "weaned on a creek". I had a good laugh over that one. What POSSIBLE bearing could that have on anything :D

george

I don't have any Braunveigh but I will seriously think about them next time I buy heifers. Braunveigh heifers with a black angus bull seems to be a pretty good cross. I watched a special on the cattle show on the RFD channel and they were some really nice cattle.

Josh

Howdy Cowcop: I have Braunviehs and red angus x braunvieh. I do like them, they wean large thick calves that do well at the south texas auction barns. My braunviehs are also very good mamas that can handle the heat. When crossed the calves are usually brindle or black but the buyers dont seem to care.

Rookie":1454wqfk said:
I know what ya mean, Cowcop. I think alot of what those auctioneers say is fillin in space. I heard one say of a herd of steers, that they were "weaned on a creek". I had a good laugh over that one. What POSSIBLE bearing could that have on anything :D

george

I think if you bought a set of cattle that were weened at a creek and another set of cattle that were weened by putting them on a truck, dumping them at a sale barn for 36 hours, putting them on another truck and dumping them at your order buyer barn for 36 hours and then putting them on a third truck and dumping them at your place you could see that there might be some bearing on the health of the cattle.

I may be wrong but I assuming this is what they were trying to imply.

Not real sure but may help. 5 back usually if it is a mixed load the heifers will be 5$/cwt cheaper than their steers maits. 4 cent slide I think is shrink value put on them because thye are going to go a distance to weigh or loaded on a truck. I don't know about weaning on the creek. Certified all natural is a program were the cattle hve been given all natural feed and such with no antibiotics, hormones and the like.

Scotty

Slide and shrink are different. If I remember correctly, when you buy them at an average weight, the slide is how much they are discounted per either lb or 100 lbs for those over the average. Shrink is the weight they loose in actual or by pencil from there weighed weight. If you buy them at a sale usually the shrink is already thre, if you buy them and weigh them at the farm, the usual shrink is 2% (pencil shrink), but can be negotiated
I've had slide explained to me dozens of times, but that's the one explanation that made some sense.

dun

Hi CowCop, Precon, I believe means pre-conditioned. My understanding of preconditioned is that the animals are already weaned, have had vaccinations and been de-wormed and introduced to/eating "feed". The value in that, is that one is not buying calves that just came off their mammas, haven't been introduced to/eating feed etc. and therefore will not be as "stressed". The preconditioned calves would be less likely to get sick and are not going to be spending all kinds of energy looking for mom. I think that pretty much covers it...in a nutshell. I may have forgotten something. I hope that's clear? I don't always articulate as well as some of the others do. :)

Slide is the $ adjustment per pound applied for animals that are x number of pounds over or under the quoted average weight.

PATB":1peepei6 said:
Slide is the $ adjustment per pound applied for animals that are x number of pounds over or under the quoted average weight.

That's even simpler then the way it was explained to me that I thought I understood.

dun

Subsoil":14c6dhf9 said:
Rookie":14c6dhf9 said:

george

I think if you bought a set of cattle that were weened at a creek and another set of cattle that were weened by putting them on a truck, dumping them at a sale barn for 36 hours, putting them on another truck and dumping them at your order buyer barn for 36 hours and then putting them on a third truck and dumping them at your place you could see that there might be some bearing on the health of the cattle.

I think these steers were WELL past the weaning stage.

Rookie":i75yxpnk said:
Subsoil":i75yxpnk said:
Rookie":i75yxpnk said:

george

Perhaps he said they were weaned on creep instead of creek?

Frankie":31ls6n1i said:
Rookie":31ls6n1i said:
Subsoil":31ls6n1i said:
Rookie":31ls6n1i said:

george

Perhaps he said they were weaned on creep instead of creek?

Jeez Louise, I'm sorry I even brought it up!!!!!