Reverse stockpile

Help Support CattleToday:

I would think they lose more nutritional value and palatability than doing it the 'normal' way, but when you're in a pinch, it's still food

callmefence":24to2so8 said:
Any value in stockpiling cool season grasses
Only some stands will support stockpiling. Standard advise is a min of 30% fescue.
Only some climates will stockpiling. Dry is better.
Value depends on your goals and the alternatives. Finishing grass fed animals is very different from carrying dry cows...

Nesikep":r5eyj2g0 said:
I would think they lose more nutritional value and palatability than doing it the 'normal' way, but when you're in a pinch, it's still food
In Texas it would be only filler with very little nutritional value but as someone else once said "it will make a turd".

Only thing that we can do that with is excess growth of clovers, like ball, and vetch. Otherwise it is a trip thru to graze dry seedheads and weeds, scattered Johnson grass, ...

callmefence":2ajhxt60 said:
Common practice to stockpile warm season grassesfor winter.
Any value in stockpiling cool season grasses for summer. Oats, ryegrass, clover, speargrass, rescue.,?
I probably wouldn't plant any just for that, but if you already have it growing I would set some aside and see what happens. It is going to cover the ground and provide a cooler climate at the soil level.
BTW I thought you were supposed to stockpile cool season grasses for winter.......

We call it deferred grazing here (ryegrass and clover) and basically what happens is the grass grows tall, seeds, dies and falls over and an undergrowth of clover, weeds and less mature grass comes through the dead stuff... depends what your growth rates are and how long you leave it ungrazed.
Defering from late spring through to early autumn if you have a surplus, can be a useful way of allowing a pasture to renew itself via reseeding while storing up some low quality tucker for low production animals to eat at a time when the summer dry has drastically reduced pasture availability.

skyhightree1":34gqtfab said:
I try to stock pile any season grasses that I can because you never know whats going to come around the pike.
Down the pike, around the corner :lol: :lol: :lol: :cboy:

Banjo":3f5fxq91 said:
callmefence":3f5fxq91 said:
Common practice to stockpile warm season grassesfor winter.
Any value in stockpiling cool season grasses for summer. Oats, ryegrass, clover, speargrass, rescue.,?
I probably wouldn't plant any just for that, but if you already have it growing I would set some aside and see what happens. It is going to cover the ground and provide a cooler climate at the soil level.
BTW I thought you were supposed to stockpile cool season grasses for winter.......

We get in as big a tight in summer as winter.
It's common practice to allow grass such as Klein and crabgrass and some Bermudas to make seed in late summer and be frost killed, then graze in winter as standing hay.
This year there is a tremendous surplus of cool season grasses that will soon expire.
Much in unsuitable locations to hay.

regolith":3f5fxq91 said:
We call it deferred grazing here (ryegrass and clover) and basically what happens is the grass grows tall, seeds, dies and falls over and an undergrowth of clover, weeds and less mature grass comes through the dead stuff... depends what your growth rates are and how long you leave it ungrazed.
Defering from late spring through to early autumn if you have a surplus, can be a useful way of allowing a pasture to renew itself via reseeding while storing up some low quality tucker for low production animals to eat at a time when the summer dry has drastically reduced pasture availability.

Thanks, exactly the situation I feel I'm heading towards.

Latest posts