reverse breeding for brimmerstein cows

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
was talking to a buddy last nite.he asked me if you could still get brimmerstein calves around here.i told him no that cross died 20yrs ago.so we got to talking about reverse breeding for that cross.by that mean buying a few fullblood brimmer cows then putting a good holstein bull on them.then keeping the crossbred heifers for a F1 herd.i told him he may not get the black hide you get with the old cross.but prolly would still have balloon teats on some or all the cows.

But then their disposition will be different from Holstein x Brah calves out of Holstein cows. My bud is still doing this cross but with just Holstein cows and a brahman semen. He is still struggling to get heifers out of it as majority of calves have been bulls but finally got three heifers.

Another problem is that they milk too much and tends to fall apart quickly just like other dairy crosses.

I raised a few of those on a bottle years ago. You mentioned getting black calves. All the ones I had from gray Brahman bulls were solid black, but I had one or two from a red bull that were black roan.

Rafter S":3svoz9zp said:
I raised a few of those on a bottle years ago. You mentioned getting black calves. All the ones I had from gray Brahman bulls were solid black, but I had one or two from a red bull that were black roan.
Beautiful things too arent' they. Use to know a guy over in East Texas that had a pretty nice herd of jersey/red brahman cross cattle. They were some awesome cattle. Don't even know now if he's still alive.

I've always wanted a couple brahma X Holstien cows. Not sure why. Probably make some nice replacement heifers out of them. All my eared cattle seem to milk well by themselves, not sure why that cross would be pursued. Maybe to milk in a hot climate?

if my buddy ever decides to try that cross ill keep yall posted.either way you cross it your going to have a cow with lots of milk.

I can think of a zillion reasons I would not do that cross in reverse. But hey to each his own.

One of my projects for this year is to get a little group of holstein heifers for my Brahman bull.

I gotta to say that my buds 1/2 brah cows are still milking out with other dairy cows for awhile then they are out in pasture as nurse cows. They are A.I'ed with Brahman then use a Holstein bull as a cleanup. So far there hasn't any 1/4 Brahman calves are born.

bigbull338":2ezwvlw1 said:
was talking to a buddy last nite.he asked me if you could still get brimmerstein calves around here.i told him no that cross died 20yrs ago.so we got to talking about reverse breeding for that cross.by that mean buying a few fullblood brimmer cows then putting a good holstein bull on them.then keeping the crossbred heifers for a F1 herd.i told him he may not get the black hide you get with the old cross.but prolly would still have balloon teats on some or all the cows.

Are these to be used for dairy or to raise calves? Just curious.