Returning organic matter to hay fields?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
What do you do to return the OM to hay fields? What about fields that are a ways from the farm?

kickinbull":101epp87 said:
What do you do to return the OM to hay fields? What about fields that are a ways from the farm?
Without available and economical resources about the best you can do is to let it rest, or under stock it. Make sure the soil has the proper nutrents. Only keep enough cattle on the pasture to keep the grass in check. Soil test and add the recomended fertilizer. A properly stocked pasture will gererate it's own organic matter as long as it has the proper nutrients in the soil.

kickinbull":1qu6z6ag said:
Without available and economical resources about the best you can do is to let it rest, or under stock it. Make sure the soil has the proper nutrients. Only keep enough cattle on the pasture to keep the grass in check. Soil test and add the recommended fertilizer. A properly stocked pasture will generate it's own organic matter as long as it has the proper nutrients in the soil.
Sorry. I just noticed you said hay field. Turn it into a properly managed pasture for a few years.

Thanks for the replys.

I have not been able to make any arrangements for the chicken manure. But I have thought about it. I did get a bite from one producer, but I needed my own truck and he wanted to clean out in may.

kickinbull":2zyyrzrt said:

Pile up trash hay, mix it with manure, let it set for a while to kill any weed seed, and spread it. Define 'a ways'?

Perennial grasses with the complex root system will build soil. Even though hay is cut off annually. Like said, proper fertilizer and leave the last cut go so the plants can go into Winter with plenty of green above ground.

Again, thanks for the posts. "a ways" from the farm, farthest is 5 miles, small fields, 2 to 10 acres.

You guys are crackin' me up.
I read a magazine article a long time ago which stated that distance in Texas is best stated in terms of beers. (Yes, this has been several years, and things have changed) e.g. Houston to Dallas might be a 12 pack. This article also included info on the "venturi effect" achieved by cracking a door open and aiming liquids in the general direction of the crack.

john250":3njziw3m said:
I read a magazine article a long time ago which stated that distance in Texas is best stated in terms of beers. (Yes, this has been several years, and things have changed) e.g. Houston to Dallas might be a 12 pack. This article also included info on the "venturi effect" achieved by cracking a door open and aiming liquids in the general direction of the crack.
If I had to go to a town that size I would need at least a 12 pack just to consider going

john250":259md22p said:

John there is much more truth to that than most of us want to admit. :oops: But towns must be getting closer cause it doesn't take as many beers to get from place to place as it use to.

john250":3cu6tplb said:

Things have definitely changed. Now, moving hay is no longer fun. Used to .... well no need to live in the past.

Back to the subject. One way is to time your last cutting so the grass will get about 4-5 inches before winter and leave it uncut. Burn it in the spring and you will help the soil.

1982vett":2w6cagf0 said:
msscamp":2w6cagf0 said:
Define 'a ways'?
Less than a days ride but more than a hop skip and a jump. :p

That works. In that case it wasn't a hay field - it was a pasture, and the organic matter was supplied by the cows grazing it. :p

redstatefarmer":1fsf8bxu said:
Feed cattle on it over the winter. Just make sure your feeding weed free hay.
I can't agree. The cows will always waste some and leave a thick mat. This will choke the grass from growing the following year. Also the manure patties will burn the grass. JMO

novaman":2z6cb7qt said:
redstatefarmer":2z6cb7qt said:
Feed cattle on it over the winter. Just make sure your feeding weed free hay.
I can't agree. The cows will always waste some and leave a thick mat. This will choke the grass from growing the following year.

Not if you only feed what they need, and change locations regularly. We've never had a problem with hay choking out/smothering grass the following year.

Also the manure patties will burn the grass. JMO

No, it won't. I've used it in my garden/flower beds, and we've spread it on the fields/pastures for way too many years for me to believe this. Chicken manure will burn if applied to heavily, cow manure will not.

Latest posts