Return to Mama?

Help Support CattleToday:

GreenAcres

Reaction score
Purchased 3 heifers last year, and going good. Got home from work thursday, and noticed a new calf by the barn doorstep. Calf seemed to be weak and would not stand up. Gave her almost 2 quarts of colustrom, and was up and around fast. The mother was taking good care of her but would not let her nurse. Every time she would go to suck, the mama would move or try to kick her. Teats appear to be very tender or sore. Tried to pen her up to check her, or milk the tits but was very aggressive and would not go into the chute. Gave her 3/4 of a bottle of milk replacer and doing good. Left them together that night and the next day, but she still would not let her nurse. I put the mama in the small pasture and continue to bottle feed the calf friday and saturday with the mama separated the whole time. Fed her this morning and drank 1 1/2 bottles of milk and is doing well. Mama is by the barn still mooing and still wants the baby. Should I put them together again and see if she can nurse. Scared that I may not pen up the calf if not or that the milk may be infected???

Purchased 3 heifers last year, and going good. Got home from work thursday, and noticed a new calf by the barn doorstep. Calf seemed to be weak and would not stand up. Gave her almost 2 quarts of colustrom, and was up and around fast. The mother was taking good care of her but would not let her nurse. Every time she would go to suck, the mama would move or try to kick her. Teats appear to be very tender or sore. Tried to pen her up to check her, or milk the tits but was very aggressive and would not go into the chute. Gave her 3/4 of a bottle of milk replacer and doing good. Left them together that night and the next day, but she still would not let her nurse. I put the mama in the small pasture and continue to bottle feed the calf friday and saturday with the mama separated the whole time. Fed her this morning and drank 1 1/2 bottles of milk and is doing well. Mama is by the barn still mooing and still wants the baby. Should I put them together again and see if she can nurse. Scared that I may not pen up the calf if not or that the milk may be infected???
Ahhhh, the heifer dance....
Usually they get it figured out. Personally, I'd put mama in the chute and let that baby have its fill. After milking her a bit to make sure things are working properly.

Ahhhh. That's a well known feeling of relief. I love watching a pair figure it out.

Got a first calf heifer in this afternoon. Son tagged the calf late friday and didn't know who momma was, but calf not hollering. Today calf is walking around hollering and trying to suck anyone. This heifer went up and licked it but did not let it suck. So we got her in, and put calf on her in chute. Will do this for a couple days until she "gets it". Some are not so smart.

Latest posts