Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1j8jtcou said:
Was talking to a friend of mine who works for a large company and he just got out of a meeting where he learned his insurance was increasing 50%. Don't understand why since they have their own insurance with a private company and this should have nothing to do with Obama care but I guess it does somehow.
I think it's because now all insurance company's have to take anyone with any condition, so all insurance has to go up for everyone to offset the severely sick people's cost's, or all insurance company's go bankrupt.

jltrent":3o9nr1jx said:
I retired from the Commonwealth of KY last year. They pay my insurance, but I just re enrolled my son as I have parent plus and it went up $130/mo. Has anybody checked into Obama-care yet?
You cant be retired, you are younger than me by a few years. :help: what am I doing wrong

Hubby just got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago. He pays for his own policy, single, not family as I have my own through work. High deductible, basically doesn't pay for crap! Was around $450/month, will now be $700/month.
And for WHAT???
Quite frankly, I think this mess is gonna have us seeing a LOT more suicides in older people, or in anyone with a life-threatening illness so as not to cause financial hardship on their families..... :(

This was never about health care in the beginning it was about control of the masses.
The American people bit hook line and sinker. There is or will be a medical tax on about everything you buy now, so some bureaucrat can decide if your life is worth the money you will cost. I will never forget these famous words " We must pass the bill to see what is in it"
Nancy Pelosi Speaker of the House. This bill is a classic example of why no single party should have control of both houses and the presidency.
This bill had nothing to do with health care as it leaves 30 million Americans uninsured as well.
The government got an additional 16,000 Gestapo troops out of it for starters along with total control and every detail of out life.
Our government is out of control. The current two party system is corrupt from top to bottom pick a party doesn't matter.
Just look at the corruption in the IRS, NSA, and AG to name a few, this should scare everyone of us to death.
Pick your poison one is just a little faster acting than the other.

Caustic Burno":2vkgl7cw said:
This was never about health care in the beginning it was about control of the masses.
The American people bit hook line and sinker. There is or will be a medical tax on about everything you buy now, so some bureaucrat can decide if your life is worth the money you will cost. I will never forget these famous words " We must pass the bill to see what is in it"
Nancy Pelosi Speaker of the House. This bill is a classic example of why no single party should have control of both houses and the presidency.
This bill had nothing to do with health care as it leaves 30 million Americans uninsured as well.
The government got an additional 16,000 Gestapo troops out of it for starters along with total control and every detail of out life.
Our government is out of control. The current two party system is corrupt from top to bottom pick a party doesn't matter.
Just look at the corruption in the IRS, NSA, and AG to name a few, this should scare everyone of us to death.
Pick your poison one is just a little faster acting than the other.

If the democrats keep the senate and take Congress back, WATCH OUT. They will shove democrat (GUN) control down our throats like you've never seen before. Don't let the lack of capitalizing anything that the democrats currently control in my post lead you to believe that I am a died in the wool Republican. The Republican party needs to get their act together and support each other 100% no matter what in order to defeat the democrats in the next election. Ops, I need to get off, I think someone is looking over my shoulder. :bs:

kenny thomas said:
Since I have had 2 colon surgerys and will have a 3rd later this winter I have considered retiring after almost 40 years as a wildland firefighter. I checked into what my retirement pay would be, and what the insurance costs were since I am only 56. What I found out was I cant afford to retire. Insurance and taxes would take 1/2 of what I would get per month. If disabled I could get $120 per month more. Big deal for 40 years of abusing my body and mind.
I have been on 24 hour a day call 5 months of the year with no pay for the on call time. But have to be available within 30 minutes to respond. I always thought that when time came to retire it would be worth all the extra effort I had always been expected to give. Guess not.
Well back to work soon I hope. I would starve if I retire so gotta get back in shape.
Just had to vent. At least I still have a job. Some of the coal areas here have almost 18% unemployment.
Anyone else have the same issues?
Well 7 years later, 2 more stomach surgeries, a knee surgery, and a massive heart attach where they had to shock me back to life, now this week I was potentially exposed to COVID-19. Still working though and they told me to work at home a few days.
Went to clinic today and will go again tomorrow for Virus testing. Negative today. I work all over the south and was potentially exposed working cattle in my own barn. Maybe time to become a hermit until this is over.

Kenny, you're just a hot mess. Bless your heart! But don't become a hermit. Who knows when this will be over and you're still too active - you'd go stir crazy.

Sending good thoughts the 2nd test will be negative as well.

kenny thomas said:
kenny thomas said:
Since I have had 2 colon surgerys and will have a 3rd later this winter I have considered retiring after almost 40 years as a wildland firefighter. I checked into what my retirement pay would be, and what the insurance costs were since I am only 56. What I found out was I cant afford to retire. Insurance and taxes would take 1/2 of what I would get per month. If disabled I could get $120 per month more. Big deal for 40 years of abusing my body and mind.
I have been on 24 hour a day call 5 months of the year with no pay for the on call time. But have to be available within 30 minutes to respond. I always thought that when time came to retire it would be worth all the extra effort I had always been expected to give. Guess not.
Well back to work soon I hope. I would starve if I retire so gotta get back in shape.
Just had to vent. At least I still have a job. Some of the coal areas here have almost 18% unemployment.
Well 7 years later, 2 more stomach surgeries, a knee surgery, and a massive heart attach where they had to shock me back to life, now this week I was potentially exposed to COVID-19. Still working though and they told me to work at home a few days.
Went to clinic today and will go again tomorrow for Virus testing. Negative today. I work all over the south and was potentially exposed working cattle in my own barn. Maybe time to become a hermit until this is over.
So now you are 64 is that correct? You will be eligible for Medicare soon and you can already draw SS. If you have not, I would advise to wait until at least 65 to start drawing SS.

I would advise to wait until at least 65 to start drawing SS.

Maybe. Case by case. Yes, you get more if you wait. But you have to factor in lifestyle, projected longevity, current portfolio and whether you believe Social Security will still be around. My husband retired at 54 & started drawing Social Security at 62. On the flip side, he didn't start Medicare until 66 because we were both covered on a different plan (which in retrospect, was a huge PITA).

TCRanch said:
I would advise to wait until at least 65 to start drawing SS.

Maybe. Case by case. Yes, you get more if you wait. But you have to factor in lifestyle, projected longevity, current portfolio and whether you believe Social Security will still be around. My husband retired at 54 & started drawing Social Security at 62. On the flip side, he didn't start Medicare until 66 because we were both covered on a different plan (which in retrospect, was a huge PITA).
Any financial guy I ever talked with said take it immediately upon retirement. If you wait you will have to live to 82 to break even from drawing early at 62. Depending on what you draw you could be giving up 75K in those three years.

"The maximum monthly Social Security benefit that an individual can receive per month in 2020 is $3,790 for someone who files at age 70. For someone at full retirement age, the maximum amount is $3,011, and for someone aged 62, the maximum amount is $2,265.Apr 6, 2020"

I retired at 65 1/2. I had enough vacation built up that i didn't draw SS until I was 66. I didn't get on medicare until I retired because I had insurance through work. Now between SS and Washington state retirement I am taking home the same amount each month as I did working. I have a $200 a month bill for a Medicare supplement policy which I didn't have when I was working but after an annual deductible of less than $200 it pays everything. I am healthy (zero meds) and stay active everyday. This is the best gig I have ever had.

Kenny it seems it is getting worse around here and apparently very contagious. Most people recover, but the people I have listen to that have had it said you don't want it. Good luck and hopefully you don't get it.

My father in law had it. In the hospital for 3 days but has pretty much recovered back to 100%. Mother in law never did get it and was tested serval times. I think you will be fine

sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
kenny thomas said:
So now you are 64 is that correct? You will be eligible for Medicare soon and you can already draw SS. If you have not, I would advise to wait until at least 65 to start drawing SS.
Actually 63. From reading about Social security it seems like I can draw some even though I'm still working. I'm going to check on it. Any thoughts on starting now even though I'm still working?

kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
Actually 63. From reading about Social security it seems like I can draw some even though I'm still working. I'm going to check on it. Any thoughts on starting now even though I'm still working?

Kenny you can draw but are limited to a yearly amount on your salary.
I would have to look it up as it changes every year.

Just looked it up you can earn 18,400 in 2020 before they start docking your SS.
Kenny have SS run the numbers, they will give what you can draw now and at full retirement

Caustic Burno said:
My thoughts are always take the bird in hand none of us is guaranteed tomorrow.

That's kinda what I been thinking. In seven years I have been in the hospitals probably 3 months. Died there once. I'm the best I have been in a long time now and would like to enjoy it.

Latest posts