Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":c1xu691z said:
flaboy":c1xu691z said:
Oh, I would also mention if you have $400 in each calf, something is wrong somewhere.

I don;t think that in some areas 400 bucks is all that bad. If that includes, as it should, the cost of the cows upkeep, vaccinations, minerals, value of the forage it consumes, depreciation of facilities, etc.
That includes depreciation, my labor etc. One reason my cost per calf is so high I scaled back my stocking rate due to poor pasture and it raised my per cow cost. I would like to get it down to $ 350 per cow and if anybody is doing this at a lower cost I need to come to your ranch. One other thing I am charging the hay I cut at $ 45 per role even though my cost is alot less than that.

Central Fl Cracker":i0hnqhbi said:
That includes depreciation, my labor etc. One reason my cost per calf is so high I scaled back my stocking rate due to poor pasture and it raised my per cow cost. I would like to get it down to $ 350 per cow and if anybody is doing this at a lower cost I need to come to your ranch. One other thing I am charging the hay I cut at $ 45 per role even though my cost is alot less than that.

Ah, that makes more sense. You mean you paid for doing this? :lol2: :lol2:

Couple things. I never include the cost of hay, only the cost of making it (diesel, oil, repairs). Now if I were contracting it out then that would be an expense. I don't depreciate my equipment that is more than 10 years old which is most everything.

flaboy":1vhb16qk said:
Couple things. I never include the cost of hay, only the cost of making it (diesel, oil, repairs). Now if I were contracting it out then that would be an expense. I don't depreciate my equipment that is more than 10 years old which is most everything.

That hay or grass they eat has a value, that's why it's included in the annual cost per cow.

dun":28uo877i said:
flaboy":28uo877i said:

That hay or grass they eat has a value, that's why it's included in the annual cost per cow.

I understand the grass has value but what I don't understand or worry about is how to calculate said value. I include fertilizer and herbicides but I have no idea of how I could assign a grass value per head/acre. Can I see your formula?

I just charge myself $ 45 per role and I used about 150 rolls this winter. I have a hay field in Sumter county of about 100 ac. of coastal that we cut twice a year and get about 3 rolls per cutting.

flaboy":2k9if1xo said:
dun":2k9if1xo said:
flaboy":2k9if1xo said:

I understand the grass has value but what I don't understand or worry about is how to calculate said value. I include fertilizer and herbicides but I have no idea of how I could assign a grass value per head/acre. Can I see your formula?

Not really a formula. How much would that grass be worth if you leased out the grazing? That's what I go by

dun":rfq0rsfp said:
Not really a formula. How much would that grass be worth if you leased out the grazing? That's what I go by

Thought about that but then again I wouldn't be spraying or fertilizing it if leased. I have had several offers to cut it for sod. Oh that would certainly raise the cost per head if I valued the grass at sod rates by the acre. :shock:

Ah, what do I know anyway? I have already been told by many on here that I have poor herd management practices, weedy fields, scrawny, wormy cows, beaten down for not using a vet when a bullet is cheaper. So, how can I be expected to be able to do any cyphering? :shock:

You guys are making what little brain I have left fry! Hey I'm to worn out to work, too poor to quit. So that just leaves one thing, and dying doesn't appeal to me right now! :help: :help:

Central Fl Cracker":2eifsy0m said:
I just charge myself $ 45 per role and I used about 150 rolls this winter. I have a hay field in Sumter county of about 100 ac. of coastal that we cut twice a year and get about 3 rolls per cutting.

Are you sure that ain't 300 rolls per cutting? What size are you rolling? I know some horse folks that will pay good money for good clean coastal rolls.

Jogeephus":3d2n2j5c said:
What about going to the sale barn a lot and picking up heavy two year old heifers that didn't take. Feeding them a bit and selling them for freezer beef. You'll have time to network and spend time finding bargains. Could be fun and profitable.

I like this suggestion a lot. I'm a long way from retirement, but this sounds like a good way to go. The registered cattle route just doesn't appeal to me. I've talked to two long term cattlemen recently who told me the most money they ever made in the cattle business was buying lightweight cows with some years left on them at the sale barn, polishing them up, perhaps breeding them or calving them out, and reselling a year or so later. Not sure if that would work now or not in our new economy. Thoughts, anyone?

I put a pencil to buying and upgrading cows(plenty around with the drought last year)it only worked if I could upgrade them on grass alone. Once I figured using some supplements I was going in the hole.
If you have enough good grass to carry them its probably the best buy out there right now.

I think it was Caustic that said "If you're feeding out of a bag you are loosing money". IMHO (for what it is worth) that statement about sums it up unless you are the middle man and not the producer.

flaboy":2d7j6dfq said:
I think it was Caustic that said "If you're feeding out of a bag you are loosing money". IMHO (for what it is worth) that statement about sums it up unless you are the middle man and not the producer.

Most of the time that's probably "mostly" true but '06 was a different situation over here with the drought. I mentioned on another thread a fellow who sold all his hay at about $100 for a 1000 lb. roll then fed his 10 lbs. of 20% cubes all winter that cost him around $180 a ton. Cows came thru looking great, calves grew faster due to higher milk production and the cattle bred back well. In a situation like that the "bag feeder" is the one who laughed all the way to the bank. But that was the exception rather than the rule.

Middlemen can't afford to feed out of a bag or bin or pit either right now.
Purchase price is too high- or selling price is too low- or input costs(feed,fert,supplies and fuel) are too high.
Gonna take a big shift in one of the above or a smaller shift in all three to pencil a profit .

I think I figured out on what I would like to do.
Longhorns
In florida people buy long horns for two reasons. They either want a pasture ornament on the five ac. or they have a lot of woods and not much pasture and as we all know Longhorns do great in this situation. Me and my brother have 14 longhorns on 70 ac. of mostly wooded pastures and they do great.
What do ya think?
And guess what I know the perfect forum member to get me started Hint Hint :banana:

Central Fl Cracker":3aff83aw said:
I think I figured out on what I would like to do.
Longhorns
In florida people buy long horns for two reasons. They either want a pasture ornament on the five ac. or they have a lot of woods and not much pasture and as we all know Longhorns do great in this situation. Me and my brother have 14 longhorns on 70 ac. of mostly wooded pastures and they do great.
What do ya think?
And guess what I know the perfect forum member to get me started Hint Hint :banana:

Yep! Longhorns are the BETTER choice over goats for keeping one's pastures clean...lol. In the 6 years we've been at our present location, our original "inherited" weeds have been reduced probably 95%. Bermuda pasture has recovered very good...lots of natural fertilizer... They'll eat about anything, including keeping your trees and brush pruned upto about 6' high. They'll "survive" on about 80% of what commercial breeds need. However, to keep their BCS in the 5 area, they do need decent grazing, hay, minerals, de-worming, etc., etc.

Unlike some of the genetically improved commercial breeds, the Longhorn adapts very well to about any climate: hot, cold, windy, rainy, snowy, etc. They are found on ranches the world over. They just need a little shelter when it's cold, windy, and damp...as well as other breeds. It goes without saying that the Longhorn has evolved to be able to breed back every time (with very few exceptions) and calve on their own without human assistance. Mother Nature has killed off those that didn't follow Darwin's rules over the past 500 years or so...only the most hardy survived and re-bred. Evolution has modified their body style and phenotype to calve easily and fend off and kill predators.

bull an heifer calves start showing their lil horn nubbs at a month old.the sooner their dehorned the better.

Central Fl Cracker":18cv847h said:
At what age do calves develop their complete horns? Do heifers or bull calves develop their horns first?

Nothing really cut and dried to it. Some heifers develop theirs before some bulls and vice versa. More of an individual animal then a gender thing. When you can feel the little point just starting, disbud them.