Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

There is always some kind of project... Last week I had 8 ton of decorative gravel delivered, and am about half way through distributing it to places using a shovel and a plastic wheel barrow. Last year I finished building a detached garage. There's a '58 military M37 sitting out back next to a '78 3/4 ton Chevy, waiting for the frame swap. And in the meantime there's all the normal stuff making all the projects go slow, and travel and other entertainment. One of the best things about retirement is the lack of rules. I don't have to eat three meals a day because that's the schedule. And nachos for breakfast happens...

Retirement is 9 months away and to be honest scares the hell out of me. There is always work on the farm and I'm always behind but once I leave that office it will finish up much quicker. Been working since I was 14 and just can't imagine not! I'll find out though

My grandfather retired from the construction business. At one time in his life he had a dairy, feed store, cattle and sheep, and was a professional painter. He had several friends that said once they retired they were going to get a rocking chair and sit out on the porch. They all died early, he keep going, and was always doing something. He maybe was not working, but he kept busy. If it had not been for cancer he would have made it to his 90's. The think I learned from him was don't ever completely quit. Dad is now 87 and still going, although a lot slower, but he never really quit. He always had something to do or think about. He needs to have a knee replaced, but I wonder if he could recover from the surgery at his age. I still have a few years to go before retirement, but I am getting tired if that counts. I don't really want to completely quit.

Latest posts