Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
You know this retirement is the best gig ever. Get to spend all day just laying in the recliner watching the TV. Of course there is a few chores to do before kicking back in the recliner. Walked out the back door at 6:30 to change the irrigation. Got back in the house at 8:30 with enough time to choke down some quick breakfast before going to B's to help run 80 some cows through the chute to be AI'ed. Got home in time to gather yearlings and pairs off the hills. I don't know what time we got that done but it took 3 sweeps by 4 of to find them all. Then sorted the pairs off and ran the yearlings through the chute to get fly tags in their ears. Loaded up 3 gooseneck trailers full of yearlings and hauled them 35 +/- miles to their summer home. Got home and opened and closed gates so the pairs could get to some grass. But I got to flop down in the recliner at 6:50. And my darling wife cooked me some dinner.

We will have to run those calves through to brand and vaccinate them tomorrow. And then haul them off to summer camp. Well if we have enough daylight to do that. First we have to change the irrigation, assist with some embryo transplants, haul 80 cows about 20 miles, herd about 40 cows across the river, get them and the 60 already across the river in the corral to sort off young calves and some belonging to a neighbor, cut some 600 pound bull calves, and herd this bunch up the road a mile or so to turn out. And like I said after that if we have enough daylight we will work these calves and haul them 10 miles to summer camp. After that I get to flop into the recliner again. This retirement stuff is so laid back.

I hear ya Dave!

I got to fix a fence (for the second time this year) that a car ran through. Odd, the car came off the road at the same spot and slid through the fence where the other one did.

Gotta say...those little Gripple thingies...they the BOMB when it comes to splicing broken wire.

I hear ya Dave!

I got to fix a fence (for the second time this year) that a car ran through. Odd, the car came off the road at the same spot and slid through the fence where the other one did.

Gotta say...those little Gripple thingies...they the BOMB when it comes to splicing broken wire.
I spent all day yesterday fixing fence that was brought down by the snow. My hands are all chewed up by the barbed wire.

Got off earlier than expected today. The embryo transplant went slower than expected. And while hydraulic squeeze chutes are great, but when they quit working things come to a halt in a hurry. And when all you have is a couple of cowboy electricians it might take an hour to get it running. No cowboys got electrocuted although several hot wires were found.

Sounds like me ! I thought there would be a whole lot more hunting and fishing, travel and long naps since I retired from 30 years of teaching. I mow 20- 25 yards , we are running about 200 head of cows, calves , open heifers and 4 herd bulls . 6 grandkids since I retired from my regular day job and another due in June . Son works 8 hours away , other son is a business man with no time to help on the farm . Son in law is a good guy , just no help with hay or cattle. My one helper is a Jack of all trades but slower than me and mostly deaf . He does all my hay cutting and baling which can be an adventure with his poor hearing. Good as gold and comes when needed. Retirement is good , just busy ! No late night phone calls from parents. 🤠

My plan for retirement was much like Dave but the body will not let that happen. I will stay in the office as long as possible and then will do my hobby of going to the doctor full time.

I do find myself standing back and watching others work more in the last year or so. But I am there and will jump in and help where I can and when needed. I could stand to go fishing more. I do hunt all the state will allow me to but the seasons are pretty short here.

Made a point to buy a large enough property that I can hunt and fish without ever leaving. Hunting turned into meat gathering while out doing chores and 3 times at the pond in a year...

My plan for retirement was much like Dave but the body will not let that happen. I will stay in the office as long as possible and then will do my hobby of going to the doctor full time.
The doctors will worry you to death. Its come back for this or that test. 6 weeks ago i chipped a piece of bone in my knee. They drained fluid and put a shot in it. Go back June 5th to schedule MRI, then back for the MRI then another visit to get the results. Then schedule to get the chip taken out. If they could see it from the xrays then why not just take it out weeks ago

Latest posts