Average value of a 401k plan is currently $33,000
average age of 401k participants: 44

Average value of a Vanguard Retirement Fund is $130,000
account owner average age: unknown

Total Stock Market Index Fund year to date 13.76% 5 yr average 17.36%
Total Bond Index Fund ytd -2.02% 5 yr average 3.23% 10 yr 3.24%
Balanced Index Fund 60% stocks 40% bonds ytd 7.30% 5 yr 11.80%

Buying the dip: Total Stock Market Index Fund is up 43.97% from year ago

30% of adults have $0 saved in a retirement plan (other than social security)

Yes, we are in an every asset bubble, and our Federal employees like it. The question is how much do investors take off the table?

We are in a drought here so my live stock inventory is heading to 50%. Do I buy back Tesla or bitcoin ?

Last edited:
Retirement experts say the most frequent mistake made in retirement savings
is buying too much stock in employer's company or industry.

So yes, a cattleman should diversify retirement savings outside of the cattle industry.

Frequent mistake #2 too large of share invested in bonds.

Last edited:
6/15/21
Average value of a 401k plan is currently $33,000
average age of 401k participants: 44

Average value of a Vanguard Retirement Fund is $130,000
account owner average age: unknown

Total Stock Market Index Fund year to date 13.76% 5 yr average 17.36%
Total Bond Index Fund ytd -2.02% 5 yr average 3.23% 10 yr 3.24%
Balanced Index Fund 60% stocks 40% bonds ytd 7.30% 5 yr 11.80%

Buying the dip: Total Stock Market Index Fund is up 43.97% from year ago

30% of adults have $0 saved in a retirement plan (other than social security)
Ahh mannnn…you probably went and jinxed it now.

Yes, we are in an every asset bubble, and our Federal employees like it. The question is how much do investors take off the table?

We are in a drought here so my live stock inventory is heading to 50%. Do I buy back Tesla or bitcoin ?

If those are your only 2 choices….Tesla…Bitcoin is baked into the deal….🥳

I retired in 07 and I have more today. Can't put all your eggs in one basket and never invest more than your willing to loose.
I have made 70% on some investments this year. Wished I bought more Marathon at 18 bucks. Ford in 08 at 3 bucks was a winner as well as Hartford. I have averaged on bonds over the last five years 5.79 highly doubt you could do that today. I know on several of mine that hit call date on some long term bonds they paid them off.

People over think their investing and they wait too long to start.

It is extremely hard to outperform time.

If you buy the S&P and DJ year end and year out from an early age you will be very pleased.

Most people dont outperform the S&P.
I mostly have stock index funds. Expenses are really low

I mostly have stock index funds. Expenses are really low
Ya there are good things out there and other ways for sure.

I'm talking about for the person who knows absolutely nothing about any thing. Tell your employer to max out your retirement and buy S&P. Also you can call a company like Fidelity and set up an account. They will walk you thru step by step and link it to your checking account. Just figure what you can spare a month, even if its $20, 50, 100. Buy SP or DJ every month, year in and yea out. You will be good. Nothing fancy.

We just set up bank accounts and retirement account for my son. He is 15 yrs old. He has been busting butt this summer in the heat and making pretty good money. The great thing about phones is he can deposit that check and as we are driving off he can see the number go up.

Now, with the retirement account he can get that feeling when it goes up and you didnt do any thing. I want him hooked on that feeling at a young age.

A lot of jobs use to offer a pretty nice retirement if you give a good part of your life too. That is something other than a few, mainly Federal workers, get offered any more starting out. My son who has taught public school for six years just missed out on the moon pie retirement, but his investment portfolio from two jobs for his age is adding up and he is tight also. I know these farms are not paying much anymore for what they produce, but if the current land prices hold up the farms have probably triple/quadrupled in price in the last few years.

Ya there are good things out there and other ways for sure.

I'm talking about for the person who knows absolutely nothing about any thing. Tell your employer to max out your retirement and buy S&P. Also you can call a company like Fidelity and set up an account. They will walk you thru step by step and link it to your checking account. Just figure what you can spare a month, even if its $20, 50, 100. Buy SP or DJ every month, year in and yea out. You will be good. Nothing fancy.
The S&P is nothing but big tech right now. You need more diversification than that.

The S&P is nothing but big tech right now. You need more diversification than that.
Most these people just need to be in the game and that is the easiest place to start along with the other big index funds. If they want to start doing some research and building a portfolio they can from there.

Most people's problem is getting started and constantly staying in.

I'd s

I'd say 10ft pole to both of those
$10,000 with Tesla in 2010, your stake would be worth $1.8 million now. Their IPO was around $15/share if I remember correctly.

"In 2010 Tesla Motors purchased the Tesla factory for 42 million in Fremont California. Tesla went on to launch its first initial public offering (IPO) on NASDAQ on June 29, 2010. They issued 13.3 million shares of common stock for the public at a price of $17.00 per share.

On March 8th, 2011 Tesla shares were sold at an opening price of $4.92 per share. Now a decade later the Tesla share price has skyrocketed up to $563 per share. If you'd invested 1,000 in Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) on March 7, 2011, today that investment would be worth $119,829.66. Your total profit from that investment today would equal $118,829.66 with an annual return of 61.26%.
"

$10,000 with Tesla in 2010, your stake would be worth $1.8 million now. Their IPO was around $15/share if I remember correctly.
Buy it if you like it. They were within a whisper of bankruptcy in 2018 and magically started making a little profit based on regulatory credits received. Are they REALLY profitable? The stock is trading at something like 24x annual sales. Stock price is high based on everyone jumping on a bandwagon not any logic. Their future prospects aren't so rosy.

too high now. If I were into buying I would have done it back last fall after the split. It's increased about 200% since then.
current tesla price=$598.62

Most of these people just need to be in the game and the easiest place to start is the S&P along with the other big index funds.
Most people's problem is getting started and constantly staying in.
21% of eligible employees do not participate in their employer's 401k plan.

There are a lot of people who habitually make poor choices and the reason so
many live hand to mouth or paycheck to paycheck.

Last edited:

Latest posts