Retirement -- More changes than anticipated

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Not even sure where to start w/ this. 30 days into retirement, there has been so much going on, plus change, that I'm pretty much dizzy. Spent 1st week with a brother in Oregon, who's going through a nasty divorce, and just trying to be what help I could -- like cleaning out fridge, freezer, pantries, oven, hauling the hens to her new house, finding where she hid their truck and trailer and re-claiming it, dealing with cops (civil -- cops don't care). Came home with 30 lbs. of cherries to turn into jars of brandied cherries for holiday gifts. Garden . . . every day.

Few days ago, we had to doctor a cow for foot rot -- seems to happen once or twice a year. We are in 100 degree heat right now . . . after the hoof treatment in the chute, hubby said, "I wish we'd get rid of every one of those sum-byches!" I said, "WHAT? Some of them or all of them?" He said, "ALL OF THEM!" We are now over-numbered, really, for our acreage w/ 26 head, and I'll admit that. Hubby will be 75 this month. The burden of the heavy daily chores are on him: Winter feeding, summer irrigation. I do the paperwork and marketing, sit up nights with cows due that may have a problem. We both work w/ vaccinations, worming, AI stuff, and doctoring as needed. But, he's had shoulder and knee replacements, and it's not getting easier. And we can never take a few days off together . . . the farm needs to be tended.

In tears, I conceded. Then I made up the sales list. Then I thought, "How can I send them away, one or two at a time, for weeks?!" And I cried some more.

Then, sort of a miracle happened. We have new neighbors that bought the big farm across the tracks from us. They've never done cattle before, but mentioned to us a couple months ago that they'd like to do something with heritage beef-bred cattle. So, after my list was made on Tuesday morning, I sent it w/ hubby to the neighbors -- 21 head. We will keep some spoken-for Fall/Winter butcher beef. Tuesday evening, the neighbors called us and made a very good offer on the whole bunch. We just have the paper-work to do, but deal was sealed with a handshake and a hug, and that works for me. They are learning and wanting to learn. We want to help all we can w/out acting like the animals are still ours. Today, they were testing to see if the cattle respected hot wire, as they will do pasture rotation. Cattle passed that.

So, in 24 hours, I went from tears of sadness to tears of relief that our cattle will stay together; they will have good caretakers with the $ resources to take good care of them; they will be close by; new owners may even lease our pasture and handling facilities for some of them.

Not what I was expecting at retirement, and not that I'm real pleased with, but it'll work. I have to consider family first.

Sounds like a good deal to me, I often wonder why we have cows. My best guess is to stay busy and have something to do every day. Enjoy your retirement.

I'm sure you will stay busy with or without cattle. Will be nice to still see them and not have the responsibility of caring for them. Almost like you got the best of both worlds.

True Grit Farms":1jolqjhb said:
Sounds like a good deal to me, I often wonder why we have cows. My best guess is to stay busy and have something to do every day. Enjoy your retirement.

I walked in the house back in 2011 and said I am selling all the cows.
Mrs said no your not they are half mine and you will die without some cows on this place.
The will definitely keep your blood pressure up.

True Grit Farms":z6aisnc6 said:

That's how I feel, TG -- like I could not have scripted the outcome any better than it happened. I feel like God's watching over this girl.

Sounds like you've had a full plate, for a while! Glad the cow deal worked out the way it did. :)

I hope things settle down for you, for a little while. Glad to see you back!

Workinonit Farm":10k163bh said:
Sounds like you've had a full plate, for a while! Glad the cow deal worked out the way it did. :)

I hope things settle down for you, for a little while. Glad to see you back!

I'll never be gone . . . just quiet now and then! I've learned so much from the people here over the years . . . thank you all!

Caustic Burno":th6muzyy said:
True Grit Farms":th6muzyy said:

I walked in the house back in 2011 and said I am selling all the cows.
Mrs said no your not they are half mine and you will die without some cows on this place.
The will definitely keep your blood pressure up.
Same thing my wife tells me. And she's right!
I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to cut down from a couple of dozen to around a half dozen.

Got to be the best of both worlds. Cattle gone, so you have more free time and peace of mind. Yet their still a herd and you can visit and help as needed. Besides, you got a fair price without going to town!

Yep, the good Lord was watching out for you both!

I am getting very near making the same decision. To many cows and not enough of me. 77 years old in January 4 2018.
Cannot seem to get around to doing things that need done. Goat weeds have got away from me. Should have sprayed months ago. Machinery seems to keep me on my toes and keeping it going. I think the cow herd is there to keep the fertilizer man, feed man and others going. Not much left for me at the end of the day. Takes a lot of money to lose money now days.

I am having a similar conversation with myself right now. I am only 65, but the daily upkeep of equipment, fence lines, and pastures are taking their toll. I am wondering if I would be money and health ahead to just get a part time job.

melking":30dmdpv6 said:
I am having a similar conversation with myself right now. I am only 65, but the daily upkeep of equipment, fence lines, and pastures are taking their toll. I am wondering if I would be money and health ahead to just get a part time job.

After cutting back I really do have time to enjoy them. Sold all the hay equipment in 2011 .

Kathy,
Sounds like luck fell in your lap. I'm sure it will work well for you. I'm having to make a decision soon myself. I'll soon be 73 and last week I had an incident that I have to consider. While loading my bull to carry over to the vet, I followed him down the chute to push him into the trailer. Very gentle Brangus with a cut on his leg. After entering the trailer he decided he didn't want to be there so he turned around and came meet me in the chute head on. Not as fast as I used to be with two knee replacements. I was able to climb one rung up on the pipe and he squeezed by me.Squeezed so hard I wound up with broken leg. Could have been much worse. Wife is highly suggesting I need to sell my cows.

Sounds like lots of people with similar stories ...

I'm glad for you that you've got a solution that you didn't have to take kicking and screaming ... or crying with no smiles.

Hopefully I'm about 20 years from that decision, but it looks like there's a good chance I'll be able to turn them over to my son (and his son, who's due to arrive in the world in about 8 weeks) when the time comes.

Latest posts