Rethinking 223

Help Support CattleToday:

gimpyrancher":19qo5hus said:
.223 are very effective against 200# humans. Just ask anyone in the military. Would they really be less effective on a deer? The rifle I have used almost exclusively for deer over the last 30 years is my Savage .222 Remington. Never lost one and never had one run more than 50ft. Most have dropped where they stood.

I just got a new Savage in .223 and expect it to not be any different in any way, shape or form than my .222. Well, except for the new can hanging off the end.

You better be careful you are starting to sound like a gun toting onservative.

Seriously ain't nothing sweeter than a good 222. Good luck with your new rifle What is the new gun

If yall got serious gun questions I know a little bit, just fyi. I got rid of my 223 years ago and settled with a 22-250. I LOVE a 22-250. Its been one of my go to rifles for a long time. I recently sold my good shooting 22-250 to my father in law and built a 22-250AI to run now. Still aint got it though, I've been busy working on loads for other rifles I've built this last year. Hopefully when I get into some cows ita help pay for my gun fascination.

3waycross,

> You better be careful you are starting to sound like a gun toting onservative.

Smile. Shhhhh. I also don't want anyone to know I carry daily. Although I gave up on the heavy waist guns and went to a lighter weapon. Went from my 45 to my 9 and now carry my synthetic Kel-Tec PMR30. 31 rounds of 22mag is more than enough for my needs. I just can't cross the CA border.

> Seriously ain't nothing sweeter than a good 222. Good luck with your new rifle What is the new gun.

I have to admit up front, this new rifle is a Savage ($700 value) with accutrigger, synthetic stock and scope Hunter's special that my wife won ($10) in a raffle at the local gun show. This year I won the raffle. I won a $10 pocket knife.

I have wanted a 22-250 for many years. However with 2 surgeries to each shoulder on the books, I have to stay with friendlier rounds. The only reason I am replacing my .222 with the .223 is because the rifle was free and the ammo is easier to find.