retarded pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

So we just poured concrete in the back half of my barn and had extra. The excess we put in the hog pen because it helps keep them cleaner, grow better and less waste of feed. We had moved the hogs over to another pen for the pour and setting and just put them back in their normal pen. Soon as they were in they started eating the slag areas near the edges rocks and all. We didn't worry too much about finishing it perfect, after all its just a hog pen. So, I called my buddy up who raises them and I buy from and tell him " you must be breeding retarded pigs cuz these are some of the dumbest I've seen. With out skipping a beat he says" I try to match the pigs to the owner". Ouch!!!!!!!
We pour the front half in a few weeks. Anyone wana help?lol

Score.
Your buddy 1
hooknline 0

I had a bow that I was having trouble with several years ago. A good friend listened to the symptons and then told me what he thought the problem was. He said: "the nut behind the string was loose."

Score.
Chuck 1
fly-guy 0

hooknline":2yna32z0 said:
We pour the front half in a few weeks. Anyone wana help?lol

Yes. For $400 in greenbacks I'll come supervise. Probably end up doing a lot of demonstrational supervising, so better make it $600 per half day plus $500 for overnight lodging, board and additional expenses.

Fly, seems like you know the score
Ga Prime, that's more than what I'm payin for the second pour...but your welcome to come on down for free beer and a good meal.

hooknline":3bxyv0x3 said:
Fly, seems like you know the score
Ga Prime, that's more than what I'm payin for the second pour...but your welcome to come on down for free beer and a good meal.
Thanks for the offer! If we were closer I'd take you up on it.:D

Nope, not skeered. Just too much time involved - four hours there, four hours back- lookin at three days.

Well that's awful righteous of you to offer to pay Jo..might even be worth an extra beer or two. Course I always have a full keg so its no skin off my nose

We used to raise pigs on concrete and it sure was nice. The back half had a low roof for the sun and I put a 4x6 gutter down the middle that emptied into a pit. Had a heavy oak pallet or 2 depending on the number of pigs laying in the back with a solid surface so they could get off the oncrete. It would only take them a day or 2 to catch on to the gutter deal and they would go the the place that it went out and dump and pee right there.

I'm pretty excited about the concrete. Tired of sand getting in everything. Sure makes it nice to be able to sweep up spilled hog feed rather than letting it go to the dirt.
I'm in geneva btw

In the really ugly hot times I would turn a mister on the pigs to keep them cool. The concrete makes that possiblew whenre anything else doesn;t. Butchers appreciate the conrete too. Nothing will take the edge off or even ruin a knife faster then hitting dirt or sand on the carcass.

dun":jap9p4nn said:
In the really ugly hot times I would turn a mister on the pigs to keep them cool. The concrete makes that possiblew whenre anything else doesn;t. Butchers appreciate the conrete too. Nothing will take the edge off or even ruin a knife faster then hitting dirt or sand on the carcass.

I used to raise pigs on concrete too. Easy to keep clean, but awfully hard on the knees when it came time to cut'em. Fed them ground milo and corn, and mineral and they would still try and push the fence out to get to the dirt outside, pick up a dirt clod and throw it in the pen and the fight was on.

I buy them cut. They are pigs that don't quite meet show quality standards or don't get picked for the fairs, but they sure grow out nice. I go thru 4 pigs and a steer a year with a family of four. raise em in twos. They seems to grow better when there is competition for feed, even if they are on free choice feed. These pigs are born on concrete, and now will live on concrete. The only thing bad about the concrete is that it can lend to some leg issues now and again, but we( he) haven't seen that yet
And I have burned up a few knives on wild hogs. You can have those nasty things, now that I've been raising my own instead of hunting them

yep...home grown is def better..at least ya gotta trap em and feed em out for about 2 mos to get the rank out and get some good lazy fat on em for flavor....they aint bad then...but domestic pigs are still better and usually bigger also for same time given..

We never trapped them, just shot the sows usually on a stalk hunt. I can take 40 lb pigs to 300 lbs in 6 months. Its far more cost effective to keep them on free choice feed than to ration it out per day. I've tried both

Latest posts