retained placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
Older, about 9 years old hereford cow with a dandy black baldie calf. Still dragging placenta after about 60 hours. This cow has done this before . about 3 calves ago. Im kinda of concerned mostly because flies are really bad. Probably will cull her after this one. I hate to even at here age she calves always inside 12 mouths and raises a good one. Let it. Be or step in . all opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you

I've had a bunch that dragged it around longer, stank to heaven high, and were always fine.. check your selenium supplementation rate, and just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get a fever and stop eating... If you don't have any, now's a good time to get a box of AI gloves, and perhaps some uterine boluses... trust me you'll want the gloves!

Don't apply anything more then gentle pressure to it. If you get aggressive pulling it out, you will end up doing more damage then good. If she is depressed or acting off in some other way, I would use two doses of excede 72 hours apart. If you get a few more days out and don't see any improvement, you can Lutylase her also, often do this twice 10 days apart.

I personally wouldn't cull her for it until you know it isn't a Selenium problem.
Other than that,
I can't add anything to what Quigly said.

I would tie it back to itself so that it hangs about hock high so that it doesn;t drag. As others have said, unless she starts acting "off" I wouldn;t do anything else.

Thanks for posting your question. This is good info, as I haven't had this problem yet. You all might have just stopped a future period of worry for me, plus offered some available treatments, and I appreciate that.

Latest posts